Should I be worried about my heart rate while cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

presta

Guru
Sorry, but that is mostly nonsense, not least because you don't know what the OPs max HR is, it could be 200.

Secondly I can hold 90% of my max for over an hour, so clearly that's a short burst.

General advice for those new to exercise is to take it easy and build up. And if worried speak to a professional.

Everyone is physiologically different, so giving advice using assumptions based on flawed general principles is not great.

I appreciate that you may have had medical issues in the past, but that doesn't mean that your experience is universal.
If you don't know what the OPs MHR is, that's all the more reason not to make wild assumptions and push your luck. There's no harm in starting easy and building up, there most definitely is harm in going at it like a bull in a china shop. How long did it take you to get to a position where you can sustain 90% for that long? It's not something you can jump off the couch and do straight off. Nicole Cooke's program waits 8 weeks before introducing that sort of intensity, and then only for a couple of minutes at a time. I ended up where I am because I listened to too many people like you.

I'm in my 50's, I've been cycling seriously for about 10 years.......I can maintain a high heart-rate for quite a while, over 85% of my maximum for 3 hours for instance.
What you can do after 10 years is not what a beginner can realistically expect to do if he's just got up of the couch. This sort of stuff is likely to make people think a) there's something wrong, and b) they're not exercising hard enough, when neither is necessarily the case.

tom73

Guru
@Heltor Chasca simple reply is you can't. Even bold tests in the past would not say unless they asked them to check it. The only way is if you need blood and then check for cross matching. Giving blood is an option but a bit ott though.

Don't worry too much in an emergency they'd give you O- as it's ok to give to anyone (hence why a lot of time is spent getting O- donors to keep giving)

si_c

Guru
If you don't know what the OPs MHR is, that's all the more reason not to make wild assumptions and push your luck. There's no harm in starting easy and building up, there most definitely is harm in going at it like a bull in a china shop. How long did it take you to get to a position where you can sustain 90% for that long? It's not something you can jump off the couch and do straight off. Nicole Cooke's program waits 8 weeks before introducing that sort of intensity, and then only for a couple of minutes at a time. I ended up where I am because I listened to too many people like you.

You're clearly misinterpreting what I said. I used myself as an example to counter your assertion that you can't maintain high heart rates for long periods of time, and clarified by saying that the OP shouldn't listen to anyone other than a medical professional around what is suitable for him. And followed it up by advising that if he feels fine carry on, if not slow down.

Your attitude comes across as very doom and gloom and offputting, I simply wanted to point out that if the OP feels fine, then all is good. If he feels bad, slow down and don't take medical advice from randoms on a forum.

AuroraSaab

Veteran
I have to disagree that if you feel fine, all is good. I went to my GP for one thing, she took my pulse as part of a general check up and sent me to A and E, where I was immediately admitted and kept in overnight for cardiac tests. My heart was skipping erratically and I had no idea.

A fast heart rate is not necessarily a problem. I have an overweight doctor friend whose general heart rate is around 88. She doesn't worry too much because she has had it checked out. Anything over 120 is tachycardia.

You're right, an internet forum is not a good source of medical advice but I think it would be reasonable for the OP to be cautious about exercise until he has seen his GP.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
First of all don't panic. The max heart rate by age is based on a statistical analysis of heart rates in a medical context. Some have higher max HR, some have low max HR. Largely genetic but also long term lifestyle influenced.

See your doctor, express your concerns, and go from there. As you get fitter your average and resting HR on your ride will go down, but don't try working too hard initially.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I wasn't using the internet in lieu of medical advice, I was just wondering was it massively abnormal, I was still planning to get proper medical advice. It's a fitness section of the forum and it was a fitness issue so I thought I would ask. It's actually been really interesting reading the replies and is making me think of things I never would have before. I have a Docs appointment booked (don't seem to be able to book in with the nurse in advance easily for some reason)

Aches all over to be fair, not specifically the hear region other then hearburn and the like. Feels a bit like it is pounding after a ride and it does take a little while to fully recover but that is mainly my legs. I may be pushing myself too much at times but like I said on the hills if I put in less effort I would stop.

If my earlier post came across badly I apologise, it was not my intention.

I may be misinterpreting your posts but I think there are two, possibly related, issues here. The first is heart rate which I feel you should get checked out professionally. The second could be weight and diet. I don't know if your weight fits your height but if it doesn't I would urge you to look seriously at diet. Far too many people "think" they eat healthily but the reality is different.

Do not stop riding, regular exercise is so very important on many levels.

OP
OP
T675Rich

T675Rich

If my earlier post came across badly I apologise, it was not my intention.

I may be misinterpreting your posts but I think there are two, possibly related, issues here. The first is heart rate which I feel you should get checked out professionally. The second could be weight and diet. I don't know if your weight fits your height but if it doesn't I would urge you to look seriously at diet. Far too many people "think" they eat healthily but the reality is different.

Do not stop riding, regular exercise is so very important on many levels.

Sorry, it didn't come across badly, it is correct that I see the doc as many had said, didn't mean to sound off in my reply.

My weight isn't OK for my hight and my diet needs a good look at.

On my cycles I don't for the most part I don't feel I am going full steam, just a couple of 5 min or so sections. I do generally feel quite wiped out for an hour or so after a ride but it seems to mainly make me tired the main aches and pains are in my legs.

tom73

Guru
Well you're off to see the GP so don't worry too much. They can check you over and unlike the endless machines that go ping that companies fall over to sell to the mass worried well. They can look at the full picture and deal with what ever they need to. They should be able to give you some help with your weight too many areas now have social prescribing. Eg free gym sessions worth asking to see what they have on offer. From your posts on here your going just fine go slow and steady , work on your weight and diet (not simple I know) and you will be well your way :okay:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
But I’m an elite athlete. That’ll affect my performance. :okay:

Don't worry, you can replace blood with cake, to deliver equivalent performance

vickster

Legendary Member
@Heltor Chasca simple reply is you can't. Even bold tests in the past would not say unless they asked them to check it. The only way is if you need blood and then check for cross matching. Giving blood is an option but a bit ott though.

Don't worry too much in an emergency they'd give you O- as it's ok to give to anyone (hence why a lot of time is spent getting O- donors to keep giving)
Why is giving blood OTT? It’s a great thing to do if you are able (given so many of us can’t)...especially if O- or another rarer blood type. I can’t give now but get lots of requests to do so (A-)

It wouldn't hurt for your peace of mind to see the doc but as a non medical expert your resting HR seems high to me but I am as good as doctor google :okay:
FWIW I wouldn't worry about your max; I'm a couple of years older than you and my max is around 200bpm, I don't hit it too often though, my regular is only 185-190bpm; my a mate of the same age (44yo) has a slightly higher max and hits it regularly. But we are all different I've friends 10years younger who max around 170-180bpm if you are at all concerned or interested see an expert not Dr Google or me :okay:

Top Bottom