Should I be worried about my heart rate while cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
The formula: 220-age as a useful estimate for HRmax is widely discredited btw (even its originator disavowed it for use in fit people).
The widely (mis)-used common formula was devised in 1970 by Dr. William Haskell, then a young physician in the US federal Public Health Service and his mentor, Dr. Samuel Fox, who led the service's program on heart disease. They were trying to determine how strenuously heart disease patients could exercise.

In preparation for a medical meeting, Dr. Haskell culled data from about 10 published studies in which people of different ages had been tested to find their maximum heart rates. The subjects were never meant to be a representative sample of the population, said Dr. Haskell, who is now a professor of medicine at Stanford. Most were under 55 and some were smokers or had heart disease. On an airplane traveling to the meeting, Dr. Haskell pulled out his data and showed them to Dr. Fox. ''We drew a line through the points and I said, 'Gee, if you extrapolate that out it looks like at age 20, the heart rate maximum is 200 and at age 40 it's 180 and at age 60 it's 160,'' Dr. Haskell said. At that point, Dr. Fox suggested a formula: maximum heart rate equals 220 minus age.

But, exercise physiologists said, these data, like virtually all exercise data, had limitations. They relied on volunteers who most likely were not representative of the general population. ''It's whoever came in the door,''. . . . .it was clear from the scattered data points that maximum heart rates could vary widely from the formula. ''If it says 150, it could be 180 and it could be 120".

But the formula quickly entered the medical literature. Even though it was almost always presented as an average maximum rate, the absolute numbers took on an air of received wisdom in part, medical scientists said, because the time was right . . . . there was a desire for a simple formula to estimate maximum heart rates. Soon, there was a worldwide heart-rate monitor industry, led by Polar Electro Inc, of Oulu, Finland, selling more than 750,000 monitors a year in the USA and citing the ''220 minus your age'' formula as a guide for training. The formula became increasingly entrenched, used to make graphs that are posted on the walls of health clubs and in cardiology treadmill rooms, prescribed in information for heart patients and inscribed in textbooks.

D

Deleted member 1258

The formula: 220-age as a useful estimate for HRmax is widely discredited btw (even its originator disavowed it for use in fit people).
The widely (mis)-used common formula was devised in 1970 by Dr. William Haskell, then a young physician in the US federal Public Health Service and his mentor, Dr. Samuel Fox, who led the service's program on heart disease. They were trying to determine how strenuously heart disease patients could exercise.

In preparation for a medical meeting, Dr. Haskell culled data from about 10 published studies in which people of different ages had been tested to find their maximum heart rates. The subjects were never meant to be a representative sample of the population, said Dr. Haskell, who is now a professor of medicine at Stanford. Most were under 55 and some were smokers or had heart disease. On an airplane traveling to the meeting, Dr. Haskell pulled out his data and showed them to Dr. Fox. ''We drew a line through the points and I said, 'Gee, if you extrapolate that out it looks like at age 20, the heart rate maximum is 200 and at age 40 it's 180 and at age 60 it's 160,'' Dr. Haskell said. At that point, Dr. Fox suggested a formula: maximum heart rate equals 220 minus age.

But, exercise physiologists said, these data, like virtually all exercise data, had limitations. They relied on volunteers who most likely were not representative of the general population. ''It's whoever came in the door,''. . . . .it was clear from the scattered data points that maximum heart rates could vary widely from the formula. ''If it says 150, it could be 180 and it could be 120".

But the formula quickly entered the medical literature. Even though it was almost always presented as an average maximum rate, the absolute numbers took on an air of received wisdom in part, medical scientists said, because the time was right . . . . there was a desire for a simple formula to estimate maximum heart rates. Soon, there was a worldwide heart-rate monitor industry, led by Polar Electro Inc, of Oulu, Finland, selling more than 750,000 monitors a year in the USA and citing the ''220 minus your age'' formula as a guide for training. The formula became increasingly entrenched, used to make graphs that are posted on the walls of health clubs and in cardiology treadmill rooms, prescribed in information for heart patients and inscribed in textbooks.

My first heart watch, a polar brought about 1995, had the formula printed in the booklet. It's what I based my max heart rate on when I first started training, though I didn't use it for long.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
The cardiac rehab team gave me the formula after my heart attack 4 years ago.

If 220 - age is discredited how do I find my maximum HR without going through a series of tests? I'm 65 and very, very rarely manage to push above 162. I have a resting HR of 48-50. I ride 150-180 miles per week. Today was a touch slow, we did 55 miles with 15.8avg (usually closer to 17). My HR was 112avg with a max of 154 going for an uphill PB. I spent 83% of the ride in zone 2 which for me is HR 94-124.

Frankly I've no idea how, good, bad or indifferent this is.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
My max HR should be about 162 bpm but I can easily maintain 165 bpm on the cross trainer until I get bored. I tend not to bother with the HR strap while I’m cycling, but I did use it once on a leisurely ride and it peaked at nearly 170 bpm without putting in much effort.

I suffer from Bradycardia and so I have a pacemaker to stop my HR dropping below 60 bpm otherwise my HR slows down until it stops while I’m sleeping (which is a bit of a nuisance to be honest). Anyway, last time I saw the cardiologist (who’s also a cyclist and like me rides a Bianchi) I asked him if I need to keep my HR below a certain level and his reply was just to listen to my body. When I told him my philosophy with hills was “no pain, no gain”, he said “exactly” and we parted and that’s the reason why I don’t usually bother with the HR strap while I’m cycling.

PS. The pacemaker clinic download a log of my HR every year and they don’t seem unduly concerned with the peaks AFTER I tell them I’m a cyclist.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1258

The cardiac rehab team gave me the formula after my heart attack 4 years ago.

If 220 - age is discredited how do I find my maximum HR without going through a series of tests? I'm 65 and very, very rarely manage to push above 162. I have a resting HR of 48-50. I ride 150-180 miles per week. Today was a touch slow, we did 55 miles with 15.8avg (usually closer to 17). My HR was 112avg with a max of 154 going for an uphill PB. I spent 83% of the ride in zone 2 which for me is HR 94-124.

Frankly I've no idea how, good, bad or indifferent this is.

Just enjoy the ride and stop worrying about your heart rate. My heart attack was November 2016, I just go out and enjoy the ride.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Just enjoy the ride and stop worrying about your heart rate. My heart attack was November 2016, I just go out and enjoy the ride.

Absolutely Dave, I quite agree. After recovering from my heart attack it was not an issue. I'm simply interested in it, far from obsessed.

After my January illness I had a few mental setbacks. Although I'm not yet discharged I've been told I can cycle provided I listen to my body. Blood pressure is a potential issue so I'm keeping an eye on HR.

The listening is working. I've only pushed too hard once hanging in with a group at 24-25mph. I started to feel my BP going up and backed off. When I checked the HR graph I'd been at 160-170 for a long period coininciding with the 25mph dash

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I suffer from Bradycardia and so I have a pacemaker to stop my HR dropping below 60 bpm otherwise my HR slows down until it stops while I’m sleeping (which is a bit of a nuisance to be honest).
Presumably this is different from a low rate due to fitness. Mine often drops to the high thirties overnight but it obviously hasn't stopped, or I wouldn't be here! Lol.

upload_2019-8-6_8-42-0.png

D

Deleted member 1258

Absolutely Dave, I quite agree. After recovering from my heart attack it was not an issue. I'm simply interested in it, far from obsessed.

After my January illness I had a few mental setbacks. Although I'm not yet discharged I've been told I can cycle provided I listen to my body. Blood pressure is a potential issue so I'm keeping an eye on HR.

The listening is working. I've only pushed too hard once hanging in with a group at 24-25mph. I started to feel my BP going up and backed off. When I checked the HR graph I'd been at 160-170 for a long period coininciding with the 25mph dash

On my bike I only run a basic cycle computer. I've had a blood pressure check at the doctors today, they text me and asked me to come in, blood pressure 124/65, heart rate 50bpm, height 5ft 5in and a weight of 11 stone 6 pound, I'm happy with that.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
On my bike I only run a basic cycle computer. I've had a blood pressure check at the doctors today, they text me and asked me to come in, blood pressure 124/65, heart rate 50bpm, height 5ft 5in and a weight of 11 stone 6 pound, I'm happy with that.

Interesting as that almost mirrors me. HR at present 58, height 5'4, BP 128/63, weight 11st. I am also happy! ^_^

OP
OP
T675Rich

T675Rich

Doc has referred my to the hospital for them to do a 24hr ecg type thing. He doesn't think there is an issue and all seemed fine there, a little high but I did cycle there. I was reading up on it and apparently you can do what you normally would while wearing it except showering or bathing so that means cycling is out as I can't cycle to work and not shower when I get there, I would stink up the joint.

Top Bottom