Should i buy a pineapple, or a coconut maybe?

Buying a pineapple or maybe a coconut

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I keep seeing them in one of the local supermarkets. The pineapples are huge! They must be about a foot in length from top to base and i'm not including the green sprouting bit on top. I keep seeing them for only £1.99. I don't particularly like pineapple,apart from on ham and pineapple pizza and with gammon,but seeing as i don't eat meat now that's ruled that out. Maybe i could just buy one and put in the window to impress the neighbours. When we were children exotic fruit was considered to be a status symbol. If you had fruits other than the usual apples,pears and bananas you were considered to be upper working class,bordering on middle class! I remember my mother buying red grapes once (she'd have got them on discount as my auntie ran a fruit and veg shop) and when she put them in the fruit bowl in the window people would walk past and stare in amazement. Also,i've seen coconuts for sale as well. What could you do with a coconut though? I've heard it takes ages to crack them open and when you eventually get inside and you can taste the so called milk it's a bit of a disappointment. I don't think a coconut in the window is impressive as a pineapple,do you?

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
I keep seeing them in one of the local supermarkets. The pineapples are huge! They must be about a foot in length from top to base and i'm not including the green sprouting bit on top. I keep seeing them for only £1.99. I don't particularly like pineapple,apart from on ham and pineapple pizza and with gammon,but seeing as i don't eat meat now that's ruled that out. Maybe i could just buy one and put in the window to impress the neighbours. When we were children exotic fruit was considered to be a status symbol. If you had fruits other than the usual apples,pears and bananas you were considered to be upper working class,bordering on middle class! I remember my mother buying red grapes once (she'd have got them on discount as my auntie ran a fruit and veg shop) and when she put them in the fruit bowl in the window people would walk past and stare in amazement. Also,i've seen coconuts for sale as well. What could you do with a coconut though? I've heard it takes ages to crack them open and when you eventually get inside and you can taste the so called milk it's a bit of a disappointment. I don't think a coconut in the window is impressive as a pineapple,do you?
Buy a pineapple to put in the window, but first take it to the tanning salon so it can grow better. ;)

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Coconut is best used as an ingredient in recipes - eg I made an Indonesian curry last night with lots of coconut in it. But I tend to buy it in the form of packs of creamed coconut, rather than whole - much less faff to use.

The watery liquid from inside a coconut is very refreshing to drink chilled, and is an excellent post-ride recovery drink (they were dishing out cartons of Vita Coco at the end of the London Triathlon when I did it a couple of years ago and it really hit the spot).
https://www.vitacoco.com/uk - it is literally just the liquid from inside a coconut with added flavourings and a small amount of sugar.

Coconut 'milk' is actually solid coconut mixed with water to a milk/cream-like consistency. Don't expect to find it inside a whole coconut.

If you want to buy fruit as a status symbol, you're better off with something that's more currently fashionable than coconut or pineapple - jackfruit seems to be the in thing at the moment, and is reckoned to be a good meat substitute (although I've heard mixed reports on that score - never tried it myself).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackfruit

Last edited:
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
My dad says he didn't see a banana until he was in his teens and even then you had to queue around the block to buy them.
My dad used to say the same. He'd waffle on about getting a wrapped banana or an orange as a Christmas present,"during the war". One year we decided to give him a banana for Christmas. ^_^
I never realised you had such a privileged upbringing Accy.
Like i said,it was my auntie's fruit and veg shop that allowed us to have such luxuries! ;)

Last edited:

Fonze

Totally obsessive , cool by nature
Get both, bottle Malibu, small lime, crushed ice, little bit of double cream, mix - Pina Colado .. delicimo !

Top Bottom