Should I buy for a commute?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BlindXX

Hi, I'm new to all this, so apologies if I've missed threads or am re-posting! Soon, hopefully, my workplace will me moving to 9miles away from where I live, and I was thinking of getting fit and cycling once or twice a week. However, I am not a confident cyclist (very wobbly and a bit slow) so I was looking at a trike. I last cycled a couple of years ago and had a nasty saddle experience and havn't ridden since! I have quite a few questions/issues.
1. Budget is severly limited, so I have been looking at the KMX typhoon or tornado. What is the difference to someone who knows nothing? It will take me about 6 months to save for one of these!
2. I will have to keep it outside in a parking space, can you get covers and what sort of locks anti theft stuff is there that will fit?
3. How easy is it to get hold of and attach lights and other high vis stuff?
I will be travelling from Enfield to Potters Bar via backroads, so if anyone knows the area do you know how suitable the roads are?
Thanks for reading all this, hope someone can help!

Welcome BlindXX. I'm inclined to try to convince you to persevere with riding on two wheels. Several of we members have experience of KMX Karts and I'm not sure that any of us would want to use one as our one and only cycle. They are fun to ride but have their limitations.

Before you give up on two wheels altogether might I suggest that you approach your local authority cycling officer and inquire about National Standard Cycle Training. It's often free or subsidised and will provide you with the skills and confidence to enjoy riding a bicycle.

Unless you have a particularly unusual bottom (space alien, gibbon) I can't imagine that finding a comfy saddle will be too difficult. Bicycle saddles are designed for humans, I'm sure you qualify.

OP
OP
B

BlindXX

If I'm being honest, there's something about "normal" bikes I just don't like. I've tried a few times to get into cycling but it wasn't as much fun as itshould be. The trikes not only look more fun, but seem more practical. I'm not trying to justify it to myself (I'd rather spend a considerably less on a DF bike) but after trying over the last 10yrs I just feel the upright option possibly not for me. Also, as an aside, I suffer from lower back pain due to my job. Will a recumbent be more comfortable or could it aggrivate this? Thanks for the advice by the way, much appreciated!

byegad

Legendary Member
Try before you buy is easier said than done but if you can find an owner to let you have a go on theirs before you spend your hard come by funds it might save you a lot of money.
Look for Company of Cyclists shows, they have lots of unusual stuff to try out.
If you can get to York CTC Rally in June there will be manufacturers who will let you try their products and owners you can speak to.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Mickle talks much sense there. If you must try, then I would probably phone and arrange a day trip up to D-Tek in Ely, near Cambridge. I think he has a lot of trikes and a tryout there often results in a purchase.

My personal preference would probably be for a Catrike, see the user "Catrike UK" of this parish.

Tynan

Veteran
with respect the reason or ditching a regular bike don't sound good enough, they sound like bad kit badly set up and giving up a bit soon

that attitude will only carry over to a trike I fear

surely persevere with some proper advice from a proper nike shop?

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
I'm a trike-only rider and love it. However I think that if the KMX budget is difficult for you to achieve then it's probably not the best option for you. As the others above have said, perseverance on a DF bike would be far more cost-effective for you. Although trikes are fantastic fun they also have their limitations and having to keep one outside would be a real limitation, I think. I have limited experience with a KMX but the one which I've seen is off the road half of the time with various faults and I think if you seriously wanted to use a trike to commute you'd have to buy a more upmarket model, like from Catrike, and that would presumably explode your budget. Second hand still ain't cheap either, my husband's 3 year old Trice was £1,100.

By all means have a go on some trikes but I think you're better off persevering with a DF bike.

OP
OP
B

BlindXX

In response to Tynan, its not ditching a bike but choosing which to buy as I don't have anything at the moment. As I live in a second floor flat, I think a DF would have to kept outside as well (there is definately no room in the flat, and the bike would otherwise part block a communal stairwell which will annoy the other residents). I guess the sensible option from the replies is a cheaper DF which I could use to commute a couple of times a week. Still, puref=ly for getting fit, a tike sure looks like more fun...

While that is a consideration, I also like not unclipping at junctions and not worrying about hitting different surfaces at speed, also climbing steep long hills and not getting wobbly due to low speed, then flying down the other side like a demon. My latest fun factor has been riding down steps on the new Villager, (last one available at £1100 by the way before price increase, plug, not the one I am riding), and scaring the local bmx riders.

OP
OP
B

BlindXX

Catrike UK said:
While that is a consideration, I also like not unclipping at junctions and not worrying about hitting different surfaces at speed, also climbing steep long hills and not getting wobbly due to low speed,

Exactly why I was considering a trike instead of a DF! As the KMX is clearly the only thing I would be able to afford before I'm 60 (I'm 30 in a month) would anybody recommend one for fitness or recreational? Or for anything other than burning, judging by other threads?

BlindXX said:
Exactly why I was considering a trike instead of a DF! As the KMX is clearly the only thing I would be able to afford before I'm 60 (I'm 30 in a month) would anybody recommend one for fitness or recreational? Or for anything other than burning, judging by other threads?

There are people who will tell you more about KMX on here, there is a reason they are less costly than other makes, you would probably be better off saving for a better trike, new or used rather than just going for something based on price alone, you should ride a few as that will tell you a lot, I'm aware the Catrike is out of your price range but you are very welcome to test ride one or two of them just for the experience. What region do you hail from?

Top Bottom