Should I buy for a commute?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

BlindXX

I'm Norf London, don't have a car (I currently work in West End so no need, and my Mrs needs it anyway!) so travelling can be bit of an issue.

I go to Enfield a lot so could arrange something sometime.

OP
OP
B

BlindXX

Excellent! Won't be for a few months at the earliest though, got the xmas overspend to sort out before I can even think about saving for a new bike/trike! Can I PM you when I'm ready?

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
BlindXX, I'm in Sarf London, I own a KMX - K and you are very welcome to give it a spin sometime.

In essence the K class is a three wheel mountain bike. It is heavy and not geared for the road either.

All the newer classes of KMX have the same basic 'frame' so are just as heavy and prone to the same failings.(Mickle or Spandex are best to talk to, the welds holding the rear section fastenings are prone to snap?)

The KMX improved when I stuck narrow slick tyres on it and when I have the spare cash I intend to get road dedicated rings and cassette and get the frame welded so it is rigid, but it will only be for fun.

I bought mine second hand after I sustained a knee injury and a recumbent was the most recommended way for me to be able to still ride and build up my muscles safely, which it did.

I too would love to have the cash to buy a better trike or recumbent cycle but as a class of cycle the trike is one of the more expensive when starting out.

LeeW

SJS cycles sell a trike from TWbents for about £999, not much more than the KMX but IMHO much more suitable for commuting.

OP
OP
B

BlindXX

Is this the same as the Aerobents Tadpole? On the general advice of people, the KMX will be unsuitable as I will be on road. I've been looking at slightly more expensive models, Catrips Village etc and possibly considering the ride to work scheme but I don't really understand this.

banjokat

Catrike UK will be able to tell you more about the cycle to work scheme. Along with everyone else FWIW, I think you'd be better off saving up a bit more for a Villager or TW bents trike rather than a KMX. Or keep an eye out for used machines, although trikes do hold their value well.

wafflycat

Just had a look over on the KMX web site. Whilst they look *fun* - espcially the kids ones! - I don't think I'd be wanting to use one for a commute as there's absolutely nowhere to carry any of life's little necessities as far as I can see.

Top Bottom