Should I consider cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

injuredrunner

Hi guys, how are you?

I'm a chronically injured runner who has recently taken up cycling as a form of cross-training. I've found myself really enjoying cycling and am considering pursuing it further. I just wondered how the stats I put out compare as I have very little perspective on watts etc.

This morning I did a three hour ride @ 210 Watts (49.3 Kg, 20 Y/O Male).

Is it worth giving cycling a proper go? If so, how would I go about starting?

I really appreciate any advice!

How are you calculating your power level ?

You're not going to be spectacular from the start but just that you're able to do three hours (in this heat?) is a good start.

It would be worth you checking out local clubs to have a few rides with them.

Big John

Guru
I'm an ex runner too. What was the chronic injury, if you don't mind me asking? If you're getting chronically injured at the age of 20 then cycling just might be the way to go. I was about 49 before I made the switch and still miss running (I'm 65 now). Don't get hung up about power output. It's not all about numbers 👍

OP
OP
I

injuredrunner

How are you calculating your power level ?

You're not going to be spectacular from the start but just that you're able to do three hours (in this heat?) is a good start.

It would be worth you checking out local clubs to have a few rides with them.

I have been using an ANT+ device, I don't know how accurate these are?

OP
OP
I

injuredrunner

I'm an ex runner too. What was the chronic injury, if you don't mind me asking? If you're getting chronically injured at the age of 20 then cycling just might be the way to go. I was about 49 before I made the switch and still miss running (I'm 65 now). Don't get hung up about power output. It's not all about numbers 👍

I've been having lots of Achilles issues! Frustrating but cycling have been great fun!! :smile: Thanks for the advice

OP
OP
I

injuredrunner

You are a beginner and bought a power meter already?
You are a beginner and bought a power meter already?

Aha, only have an ANT+ device and use the turbo trainer, I'm begining to think that there might be some accuracy issues with this?

OP
OP
I

injuredrunner

Top Bottom