Should I replace my helmet?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

levad

Veteran
I haven't done my first commute of 2008 yet, planning on that tomorrow morning but today I had my first spill for many many years.

200 yards from home I came off on some black ice. My head hit the road, I was wearing a helmet (no need for discussion) so my headache was not as bad as it could have been, bruised my elbow and thigh.

The helmet is scratched but I cannot detect any damage to the styrene shell. Should I replace the helmet? If yes, what sort should I get?

Zoom

Über Member
depends how much it cost, not being flippant but it probably hasn't suffered any damage that will prevent it doing it's job. Also depends how old it is; a good idea to replace them every 2-3 years.

If in doubt replace!

The helmet should not crack if it works properly it should compress. This will mean that the ability to compress further and absorb impact in a future accident is compromised.

What helmet do you have as many offer a crash replacement policy - Giro for example

A replacement is often as little as half price.

OP
OP
levad

levad

Veteran
Thanks folks, I shall start looking for a new one. The helmet is an Apex make, got it in a (nearly) LBS closing down sale so proof of purchase and returns etc. will be difficult. I will look around in the sales.

Tynan

Veteran
if you ride for long enough you're likely to crack your head into the tarmac at some point, you'll want to be wearing a helmet then, I wore a 'free with the bike' cheap helmet for ten years and it never hit anything, bought a whizzy giro in June and smashed it in Sept, glad I was wearing it then, and some

Zoom

Über Member
BentMikey said:
Replace it and don't forget to get a new walking helmet while you're at it!

plus ca change; btw what's that on your head in your profile photo?

domtyler

Über Member
Wear a pair of women's knickers on your head instead. Either way you'll look like a right c*nt. :eek:

OP
OP
levad

levad

Veteran
Thanks Mikey, the walking helmet did a much better job, it stopped me from falling over when walking on the ice back home :tongue:

Dom, what make of womens knickers do you suggest, Sloggis might be good at this time of year to cover the vents and keep the warmth in :eek:

I would change the helmet, I had an accident a few months ago were I hit my head on the road. The only damage I could see was to the front the peak had started to crack, so when I picked my bike from LBS I bought a new 1 to be on the safe side

Top Bottom