Should I respond to anti cyclist rant letter in our local paper.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You could simply ask about perspective?

In the same web page:

Drunk uninsured driver left head-on crash victim with horrific injuries then tried to blame them

If only this driver had been required to take a test, pay road tax and be insured?

Lonestar

Veteran
3rdworldcyclinginGB says:
September 25, 2012 at 5:56 pm

You mean like this…

People like Lewis Hamilton and Jensen Button and my old favourite Jeremy Clarkson are great role models and an inspiration to all drivers. With the resulting upsurge in interest in driving in Britain following their success and infrastructure improvements strongly campaigned for by organizations such as Transport for London, it is a shame that some drivers are unwilling to respect other road users. Everyone has stories of how these petrol louts break the law or thoughtlessly indulge in other anti-social practices: red light jumping, speeding, not-signalling overtaking in the most ridiculous places, using their mobile phones while eating and reading the newspaper, and worst of all, killing and maiming everybody else. We build perfectly good facilities for them, but what do they do – park on pavements and block cycle lanes. They seem wilfully ignorant of the numerous studies that show that most deaths and casualties due to driving result from the driver not looking and the main cause of deaths and casualties is due to head injuries. But how many drivers drive brightly coloured cars or wear the helmets that any sensible person can see would significantly improve their chances of avoiding injury? Ninja motorists are not just a figment of a manga artists imagination, I can tell you. And if you confront them about this disgraceful behaviour, all you get is unreasoning knee-jerk profanity. Now call me reactionary but why should there be funding for new driving infrastructure if they behave like this?

Anyone with any experience of drivers can see the sense in this. Just look at how self-righteously angry these sensitive souls can be. Don’t get me wrong, some of my best friends are drivers and I’ve driven myself, so I know what it’s like. it changes you. My friends told me I was an idiot to do it. After a few streets of driving I was so boiling with rage, shouting at everone in unseeing fury, that I drove onto the pavement, hit a bollard, staggered to the nearest bike shop, bought a bike and cycled home. I’ve never driven since.

Genius....:laugh:

Last edited:

snorri

Legendary Member
There was a letter in my local paper sent in by a guy who lives quite close to me. His topic had been the need to own a car and the ever increasing costs involved. I wondered if I should respond and eventually composed a letter exposing the idiocy of every point he had made, it wasn't difficult. I considered sending it to the newspaper but eventually put it in the senders letterbox.
A few days elapsed until I saw him making his way along the road towards me, as he came closer I prepared myself for lively debate when he said "That was an excellent letter you wrote, you should send it in to the paper " and strolled away leaving me quite deflated :biggrin:.

A few days elapsed until I saw him making his way along the road towards me, as he came closer I prepared myself for lively debate when he said "That was an excellent letter you wrote, you should send it in to the paper " and strolled away leaving me quite deflated :biggrin:.
This makes me so happy. Everyone behaved well. You didn't publicly shame your neighbour, and he listened to what you said and learnt something from it.

Did you then send it to the paper?

It's a shame, proper letter writing is a dying form. Nowadays you can't have an opinion unless it can be expressed in 140 characters or fewe
Word's can't express how sad I was to realise that this was way longer than 140 characters.

You've got to commit to the bit!

winjim

Smash the cistern
Word's can't express how sad I was to realise that this was way longer than 140 characters.

You've got to commit to the bit!
How many do you count?
Screenshots_2017-07-09-00-23-20.png

I do think that a simple reply would be best ...

The writer's integrity is questionable as his claim to be a Liberal Party Spokesman is untrue. I suspect that the rest of this rant should be read in the light of this knowledge

Drago

Legendary Member
I do think that a simple reply would be best ...

The writer's integrity is questionable as his claim to be a Liberal Party Spokesman is untrue. I suspect that the rest of this rant should be read in the light of this knowledge

One could even email the editor with this info - a major scoop of a local Walt. Fibs, politics, they'll be all over it like Eric Pickles at a free buffet.

Top Bottom