Should my new bike frame look like this?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Going to sleep on it

That might void the warranty:thumbsup:

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
I think it looks ace. I prefer materials showing off their qualities and imperfections. Sorry you are disappointed.

PS, I dont suppose you are the first customer to have a wobble about the finish

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
It's a Rose ;)
There have been previous threads about this - I've got a Rose Xeon, and it has similar makings - the result of the manufacturing process. You will find this on most matt UD carbon frames, from various brands. Here is a statement from Canyon in answer to someone who posted about this on Road CC. The light really does change the way it looks

" Extraordinary surface design on black carbon frames
Canyon uses an innovative manufacturing method and coating process which guarantees a direct view of the carbon fibres on every bicycle frame. This is how we make the carbon fibre lay-up visible and every chassis therefore gets its own unique finish. Depending on the angle of the light shining on the frame, the appearance of this finish can change. This does not represent a flaw in the frame or its outer coating"

Globalti

Legendary Member
I'd be tempted to paint it.... imagine that in Celeste or a lovely pale green or powder blue.... mmmmm....

vickster

Legendary Member
It's not black - it's a beautiful marbled dark grey:wub:
Except the OP doesn't like beautiful marbled grey :whistle: To me it looks dusty in the pics! :wacko:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
It's a Rose ;)
There have been previous threads about this - I've got a Rose Xeon, and it has similar makings - the result of the manufacturing process. You will find this on most matt UD carbon frames, from various brands. Here is a statement from Canyon in answer to someone who posted about this on Road CC. The light really does change the way it looks

" Extraordinary surface design on black carbon frames
Canyon uses an innovative manufacturing method and coating process which guarantees a direct view of the carbon fibres on every bicycle frame. This is how we make the carbon fibre lay-up visible and every chassis therefore gets its own unique finish. Depending on the angle of the light shining on the frame, the appearance of this finish can change. This does not represent a flaw in the frame or its outer coating"

Maybe they should put that on there web page some where every one can see it, That way people would know what they are getting, but then i think there sales might drop.:whistle:

ayceejay

Guru
I posted similar pics a while back showing what I was calling 'bloom' on my Willier (cue Fnaar) I took it to the shop, sent pictures to Italy and had the same response. There will be no structural weakness and this is normal for that finish. What will happen though, if you ever come to sell it, that is the first thing a potential buyer will notice and when you tell him the answers you have received here he will walk away. If you polish the frame a lot more will show up and it will then look less like a blemish.

Top Bottom