Should the U.K.driving test include a compulsory element in dealing with groups of cyclists?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Racing roadkill
I'd love the test to have to include a large vehicle driving element as well. I'd pay the extra just for the giggles. I passed my driving test in 1991, it was shockingly simple to pass. It wasn't fit for purpose then, let alone now.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
A waste of time and money, unless you are a driving tester.
The most inconsiderate and careless of drivers can easily put on an act for the time it takes to get through a driving test.
IMO:smile:
very true... which is why i feel that driving offences such as speeding, parking offences, collisions should also be taken into account.

jarlrmai

Veteran
Have them stand or sit on a stool in the road with their back to a car maybe a SUV then drive it past them giving less room each time at speeds from speeds from 40 to 20 mph. Put a cycling helmet on them as well, they don't have to be on a bike.

And if this is unacceptably dangerous how come it's not considered so by the police when it happens to cyclists?

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
Have them stand or sit on a stool in the road with their back to a car maybe a SUV then drive it past them giving less room each time at speeds from speeds from 40 to 20 mph. Put a cycling helmet on them as well, they don't have to be on a bike.

And if this is unacceptably dangerous how come it's not considered so by the police when it happens to cyclists?
Yes indeedy.

arch684

Veteran
If the driving licence only lasted say three or five years, then another test needs to be taken in order to renew/retain the licence. all driving offences are taken into account when trying to renew/retain your licence and serious offences really should make it much harder to do so. A driving licence should be a well earned privilege, not a right.
So you get punished for a traffic offence then get punished again.Anyway is that not what the points system is for

MontyVeda

So you get punished for a traffic offence then get punished again.Anyway is that not what the points system is for
if a driver gets say, four speeding tickets in a five year period, do you think they should be allowed to continue driving?

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
another common one in the motoring world is that MOT's are pretty much useless, you can get an MOT on your car today and then tomorrow the suspension collapses; still road legal! i often see cars that are advertised as non-running but with an MOT, of course these are still fine to drive on the road!

Wrong.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
On the other hand. Should a cycle test be introduced and should cyclists learn how to ride in traffic?

Most drivers know how to overtake cyclists in groups or singly as most cyclists know how to ride in traffic.

But you get idiots in both groups and no amount of legislating for them is going to help.

MontyVeda

On the other hand. Should a cycle test be introduced and should cyclists learn how to ride in traffic?

Most drivers know how to overtake cyclists in groups or singly as most cyclists know how to ride in traffic.

But you get idiots in both groups and no amount of legislating for them is going to help.
Very true. I'm in favour of a CPC type thing to be rolled out to all drivers, not just professional ones... but that's very unpopular.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Maybe the test should have a compulsory element of learning some manners towards other road users, not to mention a compulsory element of learning about vulnerable road users such as cyclist, kids, pedestrians and horses.
When I was learning to drive I was told to look out for cyclists and pass as fast as possible as they are all idiots. I stopped the car and educated my driving instructor. Then I changed driving schools.

Top Bottom