Should Turbo miles for your years final total?

Do turbo miles count

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
To your exercise total - Yes
To your cycling miles - No

bridgy

Legendary Member
This has probably been discused so many times, Let's have a poll.
I know a few people who add them to there yearly tally. But looking at there rides, on the turbo they are averaging between 19 and 20 miles an hour. But when they get on the road and ride they average between 14 and 16 miles an hour, so you would spend less time on the turbo to cover the same road miles, so obviously a lot easier on the turbo.
Your thoughts.
I think you have two duplicated threads going on? https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/should-turbo-miles-for-your-years-final-total.244327/#post-5494199

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
All my rides are done in my imagination and added to my tally. It’s between me, myself and I. I am not aware I’m in a competition with anyone else.

Cycling outside is my sport/recreation. Audax (which is non competitive) and utility cycling.

Riding on my turbo is for fitness and health. It makes the above easier and more enjoyable. It makes my physical job as a gardener easier too. The crossover ends there.

I have a fascination for the stats that TrainerRoad furnishes me with. And having been involved in another sport (sailing) where I competed in two world champs and several national champs, I have an interest in sport nutrition, psychology and was once very competitive. The topics discussed on the TR podcast cover all these subjects in profusion.

AlanW

Guru
Once upon a time I would have agreed that turbo miles should not count. However, with the likes of Zwift, VR films and Smart trainers my opinion has since changed.

I did a Zwift 100km "audax" on Saturday, then did a 100km road ride the next day and I know for sure which one destroyed my legs the most! Furthermore, you ride up Alp du Zwift and then tell me it didn't hurt even if you didn't move an inch!

On the flip side, should a one mile ride down to the shops and back in jeans and trainers count as a real mile?

No......turbo time is not mileage.

Mind you I've never been one for the quantified self. All this record keeping is a tad unhealthy IMO. Personally I've been far happier since I stopped logging times and speed for my rides. I now just keep a tally of my overall mileage.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
I include them
I work hard on a turbo to make outdoor rides easier - if I didn’t do the turbo time I wouldn’t be able to do the road time so personally I count them - it’s a unit of measurement - I don’t go out in real world and say I have done 2 or 3 hrs , I say so many miles , it keeps the same unit

nickAKA

Über Member
Given a choice, I wouldn't do any miles on the turbo at all. They'd all be done outside on nice, smooth, traffic free roads at a pleasant 18 degrees, gentle breezes at my back and noon sushine up above... :okay:
As it is, the trainer will have to do some of the time so I count them, not to earn chufty badges off strangers or impress my mates - it's merely as a comparison tool, month to month, for me. If time wasn't at a premium then maybe I'd be less bothered with logging all this info, but being time poor (like most people) it's handy to compare & assess exactly where you're at bike-fitness wise to a relevant period in the past based on time / mileage put in. The 'miles' done on zwift are always done faster IME due to not having to steer, balance, avoid other road users, sit at junctions, apply the brakes, do a stint into a headwind, not having a 6 man draft etc etc etc but they're concentrated miles. I can maintain 22mph on the flat just the same on the road as I can on zwift given the right conditions but how often does this happen IRL? Personally I find riding an hour on zwift to be far harder physically than riding an hour on the the road so I feel no shame admitting it, but it's not compulsary to count them so do whatever you feel comfortable with, other people's opinions are just opinions.

Top Bottom