Should Turbo miles for your years final total?

Do turbo miles count

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
I count indoor miles. Being probably worth 1.5 times outdoor mileage, they are by far the best bang for your buck.

I do all riding indoor from September--April. Unless i go to warm places for a winter break. So 4500 indoors 1500 outdoor

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
You can do junk miles on a turbo and junk miles on the road - you can also do quality training and enjoy yourself on both.

Like most things it's about how you do it and I know several examples of people who've prepared very successfully for long, hilly rides or sportive events almost exclusively on a smart trainer connected to Zwift or Bkool etc. There's also several well known examples of pros using turbos/Zwift to successfully prepare for racing after injury or as part of their training generally - most notably Mat Hayman before his Paris Roubaix win, and Steve Cummings before his road race and TT double at the British national championships in 2017. So it certainly can be a fair bit more useful and relevant to real world cycling fitness than you suggest.

In answer to the OP's question, I guess it's up to the individual - some people almost exclusively do "virtual" miles on a turbo so they would obviously count them! But you're right that most people go faster and therefore cover more miles in a given time on Zwift etc than in the real world - I know I do - so you should take that into account when comparing with your previous years or with other people. So the answer is, it depends!

Outdoor miles are never junk.

I remember reading an article about a TV celebrity (can't remember her name) who said that she was very keen on cycling. It turned out that she didn't have a bike but was talking about her regular spin classes.

Regularly making love to blow-up dolls does not count as having a sex life.

bridgy

Legendary Member
Outdoor miles are never junk.
Well the word junk isn't one I'd use myself, I was replying to a post that used it. I have enjoyed some rides on Zwift or bkool on a turbo than some outdoor rides though. But you can't beat a good outdoor road or mountain bike ride in my opinion - keeping fit on the turbo is what helps make this possible for me though

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I used to think that they shouldnt count. But its your miles not mine. My target this year is 8000km. But it is outdoor mileage as I dont have an indoor trainer. I am not interested in what mileage other people ride. It serves me no purpose.

It means I have to ride in Winter but I find that to be a huge advantage as it makes the fair weather riding so much easier. Plus the fact we are having some glorious winter days this year.

I have voted yes because it is your choice what mileage you count.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I voted "No" but happily accept it's an individual choice. I do believe winter road miles are much better prepartion for spring than a turbo.

I'd guess turbo work does hurt more as has been suggested by some. On the other hand I did 65 miles, 4500 feet, 14.9avg on Sunday. I think one would be hard pressed to replicate the benefits of that while pedalling in the garage for 4+ hours!!!!

Jimidh

Veteran
I voted "No" but happily accept it's an individual choice. I do believe winter road miles are much better prepartion for spring than a turbo.

I'd guess turbo work does hurt more as has been suggested by some. On the other hand I did 65 miles, 4500 feet, 14.9avg on Sunday. I think one would be hard pressed to replicate the benefits of that while pedalling in the garage for 4+ hours!!!!

I have to disagree with that - a good structured training block over the winter using a mix of turbo and out door will see your average speed increase.

My turbo sessions on trainer road are usually between 60-90 minutes with a mix of threshold, sweet spot and Vo2 max. Mix that in with a couple of outdoor rides per week and more than ready for the spring.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I remember reading an article about a TV celebrity (can't remember her name) who said that she was very keen on cycling. It turned out that she didn't have a bike but was talking about her regular spin classes.

Regularly making love to blow-up dolls does not count as having a sex life.
Sorry to hear that Rusty :sad:
I hope 2019 turns things round for you.

Top Bottom