Should Turbo miles for your years final total?

Do turbo miles count

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I look at distance on Zwift because I know that if I choose my favourite course on Watopia(or anywhere), it's a measured mileage and it's the same every ride. I know where the ascents are and where I can rest, in the exact same way as a road ride I know where the first climb is because 1)I know the area,fs I've lived here 30+years and 2)Garmin

It(mileage) shouldn't count on totals, definitely shouldn't(and doesn't) count on Strava challenges unless specific to an indoor challenge, which Strava isn't really about.

CXRAndy

Guru
I thought Strava recently now accepted indoor mileage for challenge s whether outdoor or indoor

Milzy

Guru
If you use something realistic like a TacX Neo chances are the turbo miles will be harder than outside. Why not count it all together?

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I thought Strava recently now accepted indoor mileage for challenge s whether outdoor or indoor
There was something about partner challenges but otherwise
Screenshot_20190108-215419.png

Last edited:

huwsparky

Über Member
I do 4500 miles indoors 1500 outdoors
Ah, that's where you're wrong. You may well do 1500miles outdoors but you don't indoors because you don't go anywhere.

Indoors, that's all that really matters is time and intensity. No one ever says they jumped on a spin bike and did 20 miles, being on a trainer on zwift or whatever is no different. They are both effectively static training bikes.

You may have a self justification thing going on but that doesn't change what's fact.

Drago

Legendary Member
Let them do what they want. My personal view as it applies to me is no - it's a very similar activity in many ways, but it is simply not riding a bicycle. If another user views it differently then fair play to them.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Its 50/50 so far for me in 2019 with regards time, slightly more miles on Zwift. I'm equally as knackered getting off Zwift as MTB. My back won't sustain all off road miles and as Im out at work 11 hours a day, Zwift is ideal for keeping fit for the fun stuff.

Those of us who are time stretched, and have permanent injuries, its the only option. 3 years ago i may have said something different, but a life changing injury from a stupid driver has changed that.

Turbo miles keep me away from becoming an eMTBer. I've suffered loads to get my fitness back and I won't ever get an eMTB unless i have some other serious condition. My spine has physically healed, although missing half the L1, but its the pain thats the issue. I just have to put up with it. MTB jets excruciating after an hour, but road bike position is impossible, especially with the vibration (hence a full sus MTB). At least there are no vibrations on a turbo.

I'd say try a race or fast group ride on Zwift, then decide. It's torture.

bridgy

Legendary Member
There was something about partner challenges but otherwise
View attachment 446322
Partner challenges can choose whether or not to include indoor virtual miles for any challenge - so can potentially be a mix of indoor and outdoor miles. Currently challenges set up by Zwift themselves don't include virtual miles

Dan B

Disengaged member
How can it be mileage if you haven't moved an inch?
By that argument, no session on a velodrome banked track can count for more than about 100m, because that's the furthest you'll ever get from the start line

bridgy

Legendary Member
Ah, that's where you're wrong. You may well do 1500miles outdoors but you don't indoors because you don't go anywhere.

Indoors, that's all that really matters is time and intensity. No one ever says they jumped on a spin bike and did 20 miles, being on a trainer on zwift or whatever is no different. They are both effectively static training bikes.

You may have a self justification thing going on but that doesn't change what's fact.
Have you ridden a bike connected to a good smart trainer on Zwift or similar software?

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I don't doubt that Zwift (and other indoor training thingummies) are an excellent form of exercise. Especially if you're a bit sensitive to the cold.

I'm just trying to think of all the factors that have to be simulated to make the effort comparable to a real bike. Even if drivetrain losses and rear wheel rolling resistance are identical that still leaves:

- aerodynamic drag dependent on your "tuck"
- front tyre rolling resistance
- climbs and descents
- inertia / kinetic energy
- drafting

I can see how a combination of hardware and software can simulate these. Flywheels and variable resistance, computer control, kinect sensors to assess tuck, a motor for downhill acceleration.

But from what I read in reviews, the simulation is limited both in range and granularity. OF course it only has to be good enough, and I can see that the correct software could be a brilliant training tool for professional cyclists.

Does it count towards annual mileage? Don't see why not if the modelling makes the energy expenditure comparable to a real bike, but it seems a weak substitute for the joy of being out in the real world.

Top Bottom