Should Turbo miles for your years final total?

Do turbo miles count

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bridgy

Legendary Member
I occasionally use a spin bike and a Wattbike weekly too. Riding on zwift doesnt make me think automatically I should be counting milage just because I can. I'm just saying why I don't count milage on a static bike and why. That's what we're talking about here right....?
Well, to be fair you have gone a bit further than "just" saying that when you quite confidently said @CXRAndy was "wrong" to count his turbo miles.

And whilst everyone I've seen on here saying they do count turbo miles are meaning Zwift (or similar) miles on a smart trainer, you've brought up spin bikes which I don't think we were talking about actually (as I explained in my last post). To be clear, I can see a good reason why people might include Zwift miles on a smart turbo trainer, but I wouldn't lump in ANY form of static or spin bike to that (I don't even know how spinning sessions would calculate or record "miles" to be honest?)

I don't actually think about adding Zwift miles to my personal total by the way, it's just done automatically by Strava which I use to log all my rides - although you can easily split them out as they're recorded as virtual rides. It's then just data, to be used by people however it best suits them personally. Of course miles done on a turbo aren't the same as those done on the road, but then neither are miles done on a mountain bike. But if different types of miles make up your annual total and that means something to you then I don't see the problem.

That's just fine if you don't want to count miles you do on Zwift. I don't think you're wrong to not include them for yourself, but I do think you're wrong to tell other people they're wrong to do so.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Just to confuse people - in my own mileage, I count my Zwift miles, but not my commuting miles, because I cannot be arsed to use my garmin and I ride in street clothes.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Interesting question. People use Turbos in different ways and for different reasons. Some love them, some hate them.
This could easily turn into the new Helmet thread, people will never see eye to eye on this one :smile:
You may as well say do miles on a road bike count when it's harder to get the same speed on a Hybrid / Mountain Bike / Unicycle.

I see turbos as I see gyms, gyms bore me to tears and so would a turbo. I'd much rather have a game of squash, tennis, swim or go for a real world ride. I get no enjoyment from faking a sport.

bridgy

Legendary Member
I see turbos as I see gyms, gyms bore me to tears and so would a turbo. I'd much rather have a game of squash, tennis, swim or go for a real world ride. I get no enjoyment from faking a sport.
"Faking a sport"?? :laugh:

So what's your definition of a "real" non-fake sport then? Surely all sports are just a set of made up rules - they can be whatever you want

bridgy

Legendary Member
Quick question, would you count turbo miles towards your seasons total?
When looking at my own stats on strava I take note of my total miles including virtual ones done on Zwift on the turbo yes - but I also look at the mix of virtual, road and mountain bike miles plus the time spent riding and the number of rides.

If someone asked me (they never have!) I'd probably tell them the total but also what proportion of them that were done on the turbo - or at least point out that total included turbo miles

huwsparky

Über Member
Cycling as a sport is a very small sub section of cycling. Vast majority of cycling going on has nowt to do with sport.
Yep, a very small percentage of people that cycle world consider it a sport, I agree.

Miles indoor are as real as miles on Sufferlandria.

I really thought the person who told me about that was pulling my plonker about the Knights of Sufferlandria, until I looked at the website. Is it popular in the UK or just a US thing?

Indoor cycling is a valid exercise and training activity that can compare effort to cycling, and use similar muscles, but it is not cycling any more than a gym stepper is climbing stairs or a rowing machine is going down the Thames.

Salty seadog

When looking at my own stats on strava I take note of my total miles including virtual ones done on Zwift on the turbo yes - but I also look at the mix of virtual, road and mountain bike miles plus the time spent riding and the number of rides.

If someone asked me (they never have!) I'd probably tell them the total but also what proportion of them that were done on the turbo - or at least point out that total included turbo miles

OK precious.....

Salty seadog

Whatever :rolleyes:

Brilliantly articulated argument by the way - really persuasive :bravo:

Thank you.
Despite the fact they are not real miles.without real world conditions. If you want to count them then go ahead, just be sure to tell everyone that you have done it and separate them from road miles. just to be honest about it as some have differing opinions about their real world mileage .

Last edited:
Top Bottom