Should Turbo miles for your years final total?

Do turbo miles count

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Just to confuse people - in my own mileage, I count my Zwift miles, but not my commuting miles, because I cannot be arsed to use my garmin and I ride in street clothes.

I am sure you know your commuting distance or at least the shortest version of it you do. Commutes are easy to add up provided you consistently commute by bike.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Whatever :rolleyes:

Brilliantly articulated argument by the way - really persuasive :bravo:

they count in the exercise regime just not to suggest you have ridden more than you have.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
i thought this started by the question of . do you count turbo miles or not
me and a few others have said yes and offered reasons why we think this
i would never have thought there would be people on here who felt so strong that figures only i see unless someone actually goes out their way to check strava would openly argue that i shouldn't !
i explained why i do include mine pages back , but never did i dream of saying you are totally wrong for not including yours
my bike , my rules , my miles and my strava in my house and i don't wear a helmet !
i care not one jot what your thoughts are on my miles and i really don't concern myself with how many miles others do
think this thread has about ran its course when then only answer is to say others are wrong because they don't think the same as you
wish you many miles and a happy new year

Venod

Eh up
i thought this started by the question of . do you count turbo miles or not
me and a few others have said yes and offered reasons why we think this
i would never have thought there would be people on here who felt so strong that figures only i see unless someone actually goes out their way to check strava would openly argue that i shouldn't !
i explained why i do include mine pages back , but never did i dream of saying you are totally wrong for not including yours
my bike , my rules , my miles and my strava in my house and i don't wear a helmet !
i care not one jot what your thoughts are on my miles and i really don't concern myself with how many miles others do
think this thread has about ran its course when then only answer is to say others are wrong because they don't think the same as you
wish you many miles and a happy new year

My thoughts exactly.

If you want to count them then go ahead, just be sure to tell everyone that you have done it and separate them from road miles.

See above post from berty basset.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I don't keep mileage records; you're only as good as your next ride!

I don't think turbo miles should count. You're not dealing with the wind, rain, hills or errant car drivers.

CXRAndy

Guru
If you want to count them then go ahead, just be sure to tell everyone that you have done it and separate them from road miles

Why?
miles are miles, has someone shortened them?
Outdoor miles are not the sacred and shall not be contaminated with indoor miles.

I would never suggest those who commute or cycle leisurely are not adding up mileage compared those who train hard to build fitness on the road. Same goes for indoor mileage or outdoor. Its just a measurement by which Strava indicates how much time you've spent on a bike. If Strava and alike swapped their primary measuring stick for TSS, would you then argue outdoor TSS is only to be counted?

they count in the exercise regime just not to suggest you have ridden more than you have.

I count them as part of my total. Most people who ask me how is my cycling are non cyclists and understand instantly mileage, I then go onto describe my training involves mostly indoor work, by which point most have glazed over :laugh: My cycling buddies are overall impressed by the hours of time I ride indoors to their outdoor. When we meet up for sportives, tours, we are all pretty much fit as each other. Its just we all do it slightly differently.

Wow, I managed to complete a post and not say 'Door handle' :tongue:

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Why?
Outdoor miles are not the sacred and shall not be contaminated with indoor miles.

I would never suggest those who commute or cycle leisurely are not adding up mileage compared those who train hard to build fitness on the road. Same goes for indoor mileage or outdoor. Its just a measurement by which Strava indicates how much time you've spent on a bike. If Strava and alike swapped their primary measuring stick for TSS, would you then argue outdoor TSS is only to be counted?

I count them as part of my total. Most people who ask me how is my cycling are non cyclists and understand instantly mileage, I then go onto describe my training involves mostly indoor work, by which point most have glazed over :laugh: My cycling buddies are overall impressed by the hours of time I ride indoors to their outdoor. When we meet up for sportives, tours, we are all pretty much fit as each other. Its just we all do it slightly differently.

....and you are free to. I wouldn't.

iandg

Legendary Member
I don't use a turbo but used to use rollers. I logged minutes then rather than miles. Not sure how you can claim to cover any distance (or even elevation) on a stationary bike?

Last edited:

Venod

Eh up
I don't use a turbo but used to use rollers. I logged minutes then rather than miles. Not sure how you can claim to cover any distance (or even elevation) when you don't move.

Have a go on a smart turbo and see what you think, they are not for everybody, but I for one am a convert, I found the old dumb turbos a form of self inflicted torture but am happy for a couple of hours or more on the new smart one's.

Here is an old post of mine, and I did log the miles.

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/lejog-on-the-turbo.215976/

berty bassett

Legendary Member
If I wanted to do an outdoor ride that was a tough 100 miles I can try a tough 100 miles on turbo to train . I can’t measure it in hours as I don’t know how long it will take , I don’t have pm on bike so pointless measuring in Watts - miles is a common unit and I know what is harder between turbo 100 and outdoor 100 , some don’t .
I include my evening rides through summer even though I get on and off my bike at the same point , I include downhill coasting , drafting behind others and wind assisted miles
Saying turbo miles are not hard can only come from someone who has never tried doing hard turbo miles . The brvr rides and alpe on Zwift are very very close to the real thing effort wise . The Zwift alpe and alpe d huez are suppose to be the same , I have tried them both and the times have been within minutes of each other
Rollers are a different beast , although I still count the miles on them I can see why others would be concentrating on watts and time , as well as trying to stay upright
If it makes any difference - I don’t know how many miles I did at all last year as I haven’t checked - they have gone and it’s a new year , I had a goal and did it but didn’t bother to see what final total was - that’s how much it should matter in my eyes

Last edited:
Why?

Exactly! And not one of them is done indoors, unless you are on a cycle track.

I am not criticising turbo 'miles' as a training tool as I know they can be a lot harder than real, outdoor cycling.

bridgy

Legendary Member
I don't keep mileage records; you're only as good as your next ride!

I don't think turbo miles should count. You're not dealing with the wind, rain, hills or errant car drivers.
You do deal with hills on a smart trainer on Zwift or similar - the resistance changes with the terrain on the map you're riding. So by your logic miles done on still summer days off road shouldn't count either?

If indoor miles are so much harder, why are they faster? Surely if you are slower outdoors for the same effort, taking into account the wind etc outdooor miles are harder?

Top Bottom