Should we celebrate Silver and Bronze

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Edwards80

Über Member
This Is the argument my work colleague was trying to get across to me

Mine wasn't an argument. More rhetorical question. Of course we should, it's awesome!

Night Train

Maker of Things
why do we stop celebrating at 3rd? Why not a bigger podium and medals down to 5th?
Arch and I were talking about this earlier, in a joking fashion, wondering what it would be like if there were more medals, in the same way as anniversary markers. We figured a paper medal wouldn't work too well with the swimmers and lead could be a bit on the heavy side.^_^

Night Train

Maker of Things
If there's no point in celebrating a silver or bronze medal then why award them at all?
Films and actors will celebrate winning an Oscar but will also make a big thing of just being nominated for x number of them even if none were won.

I think all the Olympians should be celebrated just for having got there.
Even this chap.
c783e7544b3ba009dbe5fd296a96.jpg

Niger's Hamadou Djibo Issaka, his oars flailing, competes in the men's single sculls repechage Sunday. Despite his dreadfully slow performance, he took heart from a supportive crowd and kept going to the finish line, arriving a minute and 40 seconds after the winner.
[url]http://www.thestar.com/sports/london2012/article/1233888--london-2012-games-slowest-rower-wins-over-hearts-for-effort[/URL]

Cheddar George

oober member
I'd be happy with all the freebie kit 'n' stuff, and maybe a few shags! :whistle:

That's the spirit Dayvo ....... Higher, Faster, Stronger.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I want to see the video of him doing that :smile:

Me too! Bless him!

I took part in a pedal boat race once, where we had a variety of craft, and of all of them, the only truly homemade one was a raft made of oil drums, powered by paddlewheels. Out of 5 competitors, 4 of us finished in around a minute and a half. The raft took 8 minutes. Boy, did we cheer him on!

( I tried it afterwards. It was like riding uphill. On water...)

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
People only remember the record breakers- winning gold without breaking the world record won't guarantee immortality, but being second or third or a finallist in an event must still be fantastic if you've done your absolute best yet on the day someone is better and you know inside there's nothing you could have done to beat them... then silver or bronze would be just as exhilarating.

Those that say only winning is good enough will eventually be disappointed with themselves whatever they do ...especially if they are arrogant and self-centred about it [even if they really are that good... like Lance Armstrong]. Being good enough to represent your country must be a milestone!

tyred

Legendary Member
I think it should be celebrated. Just to get there at all is an achievement.

On the other hand, wasn't it Ron Dennis who said that second was the only the first of the losers?

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I'd say that the colour of the medal determines how far you'll go after your win, and how much money you'll make. If you win gold you'll become a sir or a dame and end up as a "sports ambassador" travelling the world and live a pampered life. If you win silver you'll get a good television job and make money doing public appearances and adverts. However, if you win bronze you'll do local stuff opening stores and doing half time draws etc.:rolleyes: Some former athlete once said that a bronze might as well be made of http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=1VE0CXAST0BHV3970Q05 :smile:

Top Bottom