Should we celebrate Silver and Bronze

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I'd say that the colour of the medal determines how far you'll go after your win, and how much money you'll make. If you win gold you'll become a sir or a dame and end up as a "sports ambassador" travelling the world and live a pampered life.

It's a myth and a relatively recent phenomenon. Many previous winners didn't get anything like that.

Keith Oates

Janner
Any medal in the Olympics (or any other sporting event) is something to be proud of if you've worked and trained hard to achieve the result !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
[QUOTE 1959541, member: 76"]I have a similar view of the London marathon, people dressed up as fish and have not done a moment of training then take 8 hours to waddle around London.

Sometimes it's more than just taking part. You have to have to the ability to be competitive as well.[/quote]
What about Claire Lomas - she took a lot longer than your 8 hours to complete the course. A feat I doubt I would have had the strength of character needed to complete.

I think anyone who even makes it to the Olympics has done fantastically, I watched a program about some who tried and failed to qualify. They still were good, just not quite good enough on that day, or perhaps ever to get to the Olympics. They wanted to get there though.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Definitely not! And if they don't break the world record in winning the gold, they should be imprisoned. Those with less than gold should be shot, obviously. I'm just stating the will of the people, here.

Durian

Über Member
I remember 'Eric the Eel', it looked as though he was going to drown.

Although 'Eddie the Eagle' was never ever going to be threatening the medal places, he deserves a medal for courage. Have you ever stood at the top of a ski jump? It's terrifying!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It's a bit like Deal or No Deal isn't it!

If the banker offered you £20,000 when you needed £10,000 for your vanity cosmetic surgery but you only expected to get £5,000, you'd be really chuffed and would take it. That's a silver medal to be celebrated!

If the banker only offered you £5,000 when you were convinced that you'd get £50,000, of which £10,000 was earmarked for vanity cosmetic surgery and £40,000 would clear your tab at Bondage Girls R Us, you might not be happy. That's a disappointing bronze medal!

Cheddar George

oober member
It's a bit like Deal or No Deal isn't it!

If the banker offered you £20,000 when you needed £10,000 for your vanity cosmetic surgery but you only expected to get £5,000, you'd be really chuffed and would take it. That's a silver medal to be celebrated!

If the banker only offered you £5,000 when you were convinced that you'd get £50,000, of which £10,000 was earmarked for vanity cosmetic surgery and £40,000 would clear your tab at Bondage Girls R Us, you might not be happy. That's a disappointing bronze medal!

Explain a gold medal to me Col. ^_^

Edwards80

Über Member

The feeling of slapping Noel Edmonds in his bearded face?

ColinJ

Okay! :thumbsup:

You need £10,000 for vanity cosmetic surgery and have a £40,000 tab at Bondage Girls R Us. The Russian owners of the club are hinting that Igor will soon be making a late night visit to your bedsit if you don't pay up. You are stressed out but your neighbour has a spare ticket for Deal or No Deal and offers it to you. You accept, thinking that at least it will take your mind off your financial woes.

You head down to the studios and take your place in the audience, just before filming begins. This is the first show in the new series. A coach load of would-be contestants have been partying for 2 days in their hotel. Some appear a little the worse for wear. Suddenly, Tracy from Croydon projectile vomits! A wave of nausea sweeps across the other contestants. Yes, those prawn cocktails at last night's party had indeed been 'off'. Panic in the DoND management!

Nothing else to do ... the disappointed contestants-that-never-were are whisked off to hospital in a fleet of ambulances. Noel Edmonds walks around the audience and gets each member to write their name on a scrap of paper and drop it into a large tin. A new group of contestants are selected, and yours is the very last name chosen. (That's like being a shock qualifier for an Olympic final.)

Other contestants go before you. They all have weird views about 'knowing' what is in which box, have a good feeling about this or a bad feeling about that, and are convinced about the other. On average, they take away £6,150, having turned down, on average, double that.

Finally, it is your turn. You know it is a load of old crap, so you don't listen to a word that Noel Edmonds says, blank out the audience and other contestants, turn down all offers by the banker and get down to the last two boxes which represent 1p and £250,000. The banker offers you only £35,000. It's a lot of money, but it is not enough to stop Igor coming round to break your legs, and there isn't much point in spending any of that on vanity surgery when you will need about £50,000 worth when Igor has finished with you. In for a penny, in for a pound ...

The banker offers 'the swap'. No thanks.

Silence in the audience as the box is opened and you find that your prize is ...

£250,000!!!

That's an unexpected gold medal at the Olympics, that is! :thumbsup:

Oxo

Guru
Okay! :thumbsup:

You need £10,000 for vanity cosmetic surgery and have a £40,000 tab at Bondage Girls R Us. The Russian owners of the club are hinting that Igor will soon be making a late night visit to your bedsit if you don't pay up. You are stressed out but your neighbour has a spare ticket for Deal or No Deal and offers it to you. You accept, thinking that at least it will take your mind off your financial woes.

You head down to the studios and take your place in the audience ....etc etc....

Silence in the audience as the box is opened and you find that your prize is ...

£250,000!!!

That's an unexpected gold medal at the Olympics, that is! :thumbsup:

You need to get out more, have you thought about getting a bike? By the way, where is Bondage Girls R Us in Hebden Bridge?

ColinJ

You need to get out more
I would absolutely love to, but unfortunately I have picked up a chest infection so bad that even walking up one flight of stairs is pushing me to my physical limits! I can't speak two sentences without stopping to catch my breath.
have you thought about getting a bike?
Well, it would be nice but money is very tight at the moment. I'd also have to move my other 4 bikes and gym bike out of the way to make way for the new one!
By the way, where is Bondage Girls R Us in Hebden Bridge?
If there is one, I don't think it would be fellas tying the knots ... :whistle:

Allegedly, there is a club in Rochdale that caters for such tastes. A friend visited once and was keen to go and check it out. He was disappointed when I told him that it wasn't my cup of tea so I wasn't going to go with him! (He didn't bother in the end, so I don't know if the rumours were true!)

soulful dog

Veteran
When you hear some of our swimmers talk about how happy they are to have made the finals of their event, then yes, any medal is to be celebrated - I bet Cavendish would have been pretty happy with a bronze!

Top Bottom