Should we have exchanged details?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Reversing out of a parking bay on Tesco's car park this afternoon when i felt a bump. I got out to find an elderly bloke had reversed out as i was reversing out. I'm not saying it's entirely his fault,but my parking sensors would've gone off if i was reversing and about to hit something. I'm assuming he reversed out at a fair speed,so my sensors didn't have time to react. Anyway,as you can see my bumper has a dent in it. His car was also marked,probably more than mine. Even more bad for him is that his is/was a 6 month old Honda Civic. We were ok with each other and agreed to not bother with insurance stuff. I'm thinking now,should we have gone through the insurance process? 🤔

1619369038283.png

1619369067598.png

1619369099059.png

Attachments

• 1619369010913.png
    1619369010913.png
    27.6 KB · Views: 3

snorri

Legendary Member
I'm thinking now,should we have gone through the insurance process? 🤔
No, I wouldn't, have noticed the damage!^_^

Drago

Legendary Member
Technically you should have given your name and address, and the vehicle owners name and address (if different) to anyone present having reasonable grounds to require them (ie, the other driver).

However, you can't force him to take them. The police don't have endless coacity to get involved with inconsequential stuff, so won't be interest if there is no injury. Tha leaves you and the other driver to sort it out between yourselves as your consciences dictate.

Personally, I wouldn't bother. A SMART repairer could sort that with little difficulty.

Dan77

This is one thing that astonishes me here: the police should be called to every RTC, even if no-one is hurt; otherwise it's a hit and run.
That's daft. Getting out, talking to eachother and agreeing to deal with it themselves is very different from a hit and run. It is, in fact, a common sense and perfectly legal resolution to an otherwise awkward situation. It was on private property too (Tesco car park).

That's daft. Getting out, talking to eachother and agreeing to deal with it themselves is very different from a hit and run. It is, in fact, a common sense and perfectly legal resolution to an otherwise awkward situation. It was on private property too (Tesco car park).

From what I've seen that is what happens in circumstances like Accy described. I do agree that the police really have better things to do.

Drago

Legendary Member
This is one thing that astonishes me here: the police should be called to every RTC, even if no-one is hurt; otherwise it's a hit and run.
Well, kinda. Where there is no injury those involved have 24 hours to report the matter to a constable.

In reality, with no injury and the like, the constable is not duty bound to do anything other than write it down. The constable cannot become involved in the civil side, ie, discussions around the claim, and cannot apportion blame to any party anyway, so as a practical matter its rather a moot point. In any event, if every single such matter was reported to a constable (and not just the front desk civvy, or the force control room on 101) then the constable would, quite literally, not have time to do anything else. Protestors would go unbeaten, innocent covid rule breakers would go un-harassed, and the world would be a very unhappy place.

Top Bottom