Should we have exchanged details?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
When I was gainfully employed I had to go to Germany for a bit of work and driving from the airport to my destination I hit a kerb and very slightly damaged a wheel, no other vehicles involved and it didn't cause me to stop, when I returned the car to the hire place at the airport and owned up they wanted to know if I reported it to the police (I hadn't) and told me I should have done so.
He probably just wanted to waste your time and get some sort of revenge for 1966.

Chromatic

Legendary Member
He probably just wanted to waste your time and get some sort of revenge for 1966.

If I remember correctly he didn't look old enough to worry about 1966.

Daninplymouth

Are you talking about NCP and the like? If so, yes.
No not in a public accessible area if you were on private property and hit another car or got hit what is the procedure then? I always thought insurance was invalid on private property and you’d have to take it up with the small claim court

I still think it was his fault though. He looked about 90,so maybe his judgement isn't what it used to be. Not only that,but how the feck can you miss seeing a banana yellow car??!!🧐

Drivers regularly find a way to crash into Stuttgarts trams:

ssb_2018_09_07_02.jpg

This is despite them being nearly 40 metres long, 4 metres high, and 2.5m wide, and as you can see here, canary yellow.

As they are also about 55 tonnes empty, the collisions generally have the same outcome.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Parking sensors don't replace looking where you are going though. You both will have had them... I have a reversing camera and my wife has 360 degree cameras, I still look. Cameras and bleepers are for parking close up to an obstacle.

Your bumper is cracked.
Reversing out of a parking bay on Tesco's car park this afternoon when i felt a bump. I got out to find an elderly bloke had reversed out as i was reversing out. I'm not saying it's entirely his fault,but my parking sensors would've gone off if i was reversing and about to hit something. I'm assuming he reversed out at a fair speed,so my sensors didn't have time to react. Anyway,as you can see my bumper has a dent in it. His car was also marked,probably more than mine. Even more bad for him is that his is/was a 6 month old Honda Civic. We were ok with each other and agreed to not bother with insurance stuff. I'm thinking now,should we have gone through the insurance process? 🤔

View attachment 585717
View attachment 585718
View attachment 585719
Now is the perfect time to grab one off eBay without sensors. About thirty quid. Get it fitted with the sensors clipped off and it’ll do your neck muscles the power of good. Sensors don’t give you time to avoid a prang. They’re for parking to warn you of stationary objects.

Good idea to get a few pictures of any damage in a prang. I got stung once by a “we’ll just exchange addresses and be gentlemen”...

Minor bump. Could hardly see a thing after a slow scrape of two moving cars in a car park. He must have decided to go at it with a crowbar when he got home; my insurers got a bill for over two grand...ouch. (Luckily I had kept his address, so I ordered him a big skip “Yeah. Right on the lawn. Dont worry about the dahlias. Right on top of them please. Cheers!”)

keithmac

Guru
How is it not 50/50 if you were both reversing and both not looking where you were going?.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
How is it not 50/50 if you were both reversing and both not looking where you were going?.
Thinking back to it🤔,i remember now that i'd reversed then stopped when i felt the bump. He must've run into me,not both into each other. If my bumper had suffered more damage i probably would've gone down the insurance route. He's probably sat at home now thinking maybe he should've gone down the insurance route. Ah well at least it was only my bumper,which are there to take bumps i suppose. Better the plastic bumper than the metal bodywork. Now it'd had the old type metal bumpers it would've taken the hit much better.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Don’t know if that is the case on private property. I always thought if you hit someone in a car park technically you would never have to give your details
I wonder if the police had been sat in their car,(as they sometimes are on that car park) and seen the incident,they'd have given both of us a 'breath test',with it being technically private property? 🤔

Last edited:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Now is the perfect time to grab one off eBay without sensors. About thirty quid. Get it fitted with the sensors clipped off and it’ll do your neck muscles the power of good. Sensors don’t give you time to avoid a prang. They’re for parking to warn you of stationary objects.

Good idea to get a few pictures of any damage in a prang. I got stung once by a “we’ll just exchange addresses and be gentlemen”...

Minor bump. Could hardly see a thing after a slow scrape of two moving cars in a car park. He must have decided to go at it with a crowbar when he got home; my insurers got a bill for over two grand...ouch. (Luckily I had kept his address, so I ordered him a big skip “Yeah. Right on the lawn. Dont worry about the dahlias. Right on top of them please. Cheers!”)
Good idea to take pictures. Friend of mine got caught as you were by a minor scrape some months later turning into major damage with heavy costs. He did have their details but unfortunately no pictures as evidence.

Top Bottom