Should we have exchanged details?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
This is much misunderstood. For the purposes of motoring law "private" is determined by who has access to it at the material time, not who owns it.

For example, a supermarket car park, while privately owned, would be regarded as public place for the purposes of the road traffic act. Ditto a pub car park, at least while the pub is open for business. Even a farmers field would count as a public place while it is open for a car boot sale.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Don’t know if that is the case on private property. I always thought if you hit someone in a car park technically you would never have to give your details

It’s still a public place for the purposes of the road traffic act, your responsibilities are the same as on the High St.

This is much misunderstood. For the purposes of motoring law "private" is determined by who has access to it at the material time, not who owns it.

For example, a supermarket car park, while privately owned, would be regarded as public place for the purposes of the road traffic act. Ditto a pub car park, at least while the pub is open for business. Even a farmers field would count as a public place while it is open for a car boot sale.

Just out of interest, does that mean you aren't insured if trespassing?

Chromatic

Legendary Member
This is one thing that astonishes me here: the police should be called to every RTC, even if no-one is hurt; otherwise it's a hit and run.

When I was gainfully employed I had to go to Germany for a bit of work and driving from the airport to my destination I hit a kerb and very slightly damaged a wheel, no other vehicles involved and it didn't cause me to stop, when I returned the car to the hire place at the airport and owned up they wanted to know if I reported it to the police (I hadn't) and told me I should have done so.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Reversing out of a parking bay on Tesco's car park this afternoon when i felt a bump. I got out to find an elderly bloke had reversed out as i was reversing out. I'm not saying it's entirely his fault,but my parking sensors would've gone off if i was reversing and about to hit something. I'm assuming he reversed out at a fair speed,so my sensors didn't have time to react. Anyway,as you can see my bumper has a dent in it. His car was also marked,probably more than mine. Even more bad for him is that his is/was a 6 month old Honda Civic. We were ok with each other and agreed to not bother with insurance stuff. I'm thinking now,should we have gone through the insurance process? 🤔

There’s a risk that once he gets an estimate for the repair cost he might change his mind and seek details of your insurer to submit a claim. He might not be as willing to take the damage to a new car the way you are to a 15 year old car.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
There’s a risk that once he gets an estimate for the repair cost he might change his mind and seek details of your insurer to submit a claim. He might not be as willing to take the damage to a new car the way you are to a 15 year old car.
As far as i know he didn't write down my registration number. If he did and he takes it up with his insurers i'll have to then claim off him i suppose. There weren't any witnesses,or at least no one came forward to say they saw it. I just hope (and think he will) stick to his word and not report it.

Drago

Legendary Member
He looked about 90...
You just drove into David Attenborough's car!

D

Deleted member 26715

If you report it to your insurance company likely as not they'll write it off, £800 for a new bumper, £400 to spray it, £400 labour charges, uneconomic repair, that's how the corrupt legal theft companies will see it.

Top Bottom