Show off your daily driver that has over 100k miles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
2003 Citroen C3 1.4HDi - bought it new, sold it ten years later with 163k on the clock and it barely cost me a penny outside routine maintenance and the usual wear and tear stuff.
It still had the original battery and clutch too.

I've seen 300k on a couple of Peugeot diesels - French diesels just run and run.

johnnyb47

Guru
I,ve often found cars that do long journeys and rack the mileage up are far more reliable than cars that do short journeys and have low mileages. My old truck had nearly 600k under its belt before it was sold on.

A guy I know, shared a mark 3 Astra estate with his brother (& another driver, as a 'black & white' taxi
It was the Isuzu 1.7TD
He sold it, at 370,000 miles (& less than 4 years old), still so he told me on the original engine & gearbox
Apparantly, it then lasted another 100.000+ miles in the hands of a local private hire driver, before a RTC claimed it

As for ours;
Registered mid 2011, bought by us in spring 2012, with 6,000 miles
Now it's on about 117,500miles
Granted yes, it's had the standard 'wear & tear' items changed; tyres, brake pads & discs, wiper blades
Surprisingly, given the state of the roads around here, it's still on original shockers, bushes & springs

KN11 RPZ. Grubby. 8.JPG

I,ve often found cars that do long journeys and rack the mileage up are far more reliable than cars that do short journeys and have low mileages.
Yep!!
The first 3 years of its life with us, was spent going to Cardiff twice a week, or Durham, Market Harborough, etc...

gbb

Legendary Member
IS 100k miles notable these days? Both of our family cars have over 120k, and one of them is quite nice (the other is an absolute nail, but it was only £500 and never goes more than 20 miles or so)
I probably agree. My 2010 Astra sportback had 100k on it when I sold it last year, it ran well, just started looking a bit scruffy and you get the nervous feeling when a car has done you well for several years...maybe it's time to shift it before it starts costing you.

200K miles would be a more notable milestone i think.
Good thread though.

Brandane

Legendary Member
2006 Toyota Corolla 1600 petrol engine. Bought by me at 3 years old with 22k miles on it and full Toyota service history. Previously one lady owner who always buys new at first MOT time.
It now has 103k miles on it and is as good as it was the day I bought it. Barring 1 MOT failure last year for 2 wishbones, it hasn't been back in a garage - servicing is simple enough for me to do myself with a Haynes manual. Oil and filter changes every 7 to 8k miles keep the engine sweet. Plugs, air filter, brake pads etc. are all easy enough.
It is hopefully about to transport me and bike from home to Portsmouth and back; another 1000 miles on the clock.
Great wee car IMHO and better than the many VW's that I previously owned (I never kept any of them for 8 years).
Unless circumstances change, I won't be replacing this one. I don't really NEED a car these days, working locally. I will run the Toyota until it dies - which might be a long time away!

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I have an old Nissan Micra, on a S reg so it's a proper Micra shape. Red one.
I commute 12 miles each way daily in him. He just cost me £120 to get through his MOT, including the test, so I am not complaining. I will keep this car until he falls apart, he is great. Does 50+ to the gallon on a long run too. Not too shoddy commuting either.

MikeG

Guru
I run around in a Honda Civic with 220,000 miles on the clock. Damn thing is starting to prove unreliable, though. Last year we had to replace one of the front suspension ball joints after only 13 years. Sheesh, they just don't make cars the way they used to.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
My last (petrol) Golf started with me with 9,000 miles and left with 230,000 miles on the clock. Blew a head gasket at 150,000 miles, but left me still on its original clutch, having had only 1 exhaust and still capable of 45 mpg.
Current Golf is a relatively low miler at 130,000 miles, but the fuel consumption is better averaging out at around 60 mpg.

Reactions: gbb

MarkF

Guru
A guy I know, shared a mark 3 Astra estate with his brother (& another driver, as a 'black & white' taxi
It was the Isuzu 1.7TD
He sold it, at 370,000 miles (& less than 4 years old), still so he told me on the original engine & gearbox
Apparantly, it then lasted another 100.000+ miles in the hands of a local private hire driver, before a RTC claimed it

I was given a new Vectra (August 1st 1996) with the same engine. My first and last diesel, just pulling out of a junction was playing Russian roulette, overtaking a tractor near Doncaster was nearly the end of me.....

My 1.6 petrol 2002 Focus was bought as stop gap, 3 years later we still have it, 105000 and runs like new, FSH and it's serviced at every MOT. We've decided to keep it till it dies then buy a classic. What's it worth, £350? We gave my youngest son a 1.5 Suzuki Swift with just 40k on it but he can't afford the insurance, so last week we bought a 2002 Honda Jazz for him, it has 145k on it, no rust or body damage and that runs like new too, it cost £250. Good cars will be cheaper than Triban 3's soon.

perplexed

Guru
I had one of these (not the sporty one though) which I loved. Did over 100k, some bastard stole it and trashed it.

jcarstory_10.jpg

It was followed by the saloon version of this, which had about 120,000 on it when I bought it!!!

1200px-1994.vauxhall.cavalier.ls.arp.jpg

KneesUp

Guru
It's been a long time since I bought a car with under 100k on it - well, I bought a Leon with 90k on it about 4 years ago, but someone drove into the side of it before it got to 100k, but apart from that I've had +100k cars from Citroen, Honda, Ford and even Fiat. Before all that I had a car I put over 100k on (23k-ish when bought, 130k ish when sold) - they've been a mix of petrols and diesels, and (touch wood) I've never had to buy a clutch (although the failure of the clutch along with the dual mass flywheel was the nail in the Fiat's coffin)

I think we're at peak-car. I can't really imagine them getting more reliable before the idea of running cars on petrol or diesel is consigned to history. As @MarkF says, secondhand cars are generally very reliable, and yet somehow one can buy a ton of metal that is sufficiently complicated to be beyond the abilities of most of us to repair or fully understand for less than the price of a few tubes of aluminium, two wheels a chain and some cogs.

OP
OP
mustang1

mustang1

Legendary Member
Had a few but who's bothered about a old car.
I love the smell of a new one..
I like the smell of a new too but I quite like to see how the older cars are running. Some brands are "known" to be unreliable like Peugeot but already I was surprised by the first would posts which mentioned Pugs.

Top Bottom