Show off your daily driver that has over 100k miles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
I like the smell of a new too but I quite like to see how the older cars are running. Some brands are "known" to be unreliable like Peugeot but already I was surprised by the first would posts which mentioned Pugs.
My mum had a 205 1.1 4 speed that would not die. It had well over 100k when she got rid of it because she wanted something with 5 doors to make it easier to transport her older friends and relatives - but in the time she had it (10 years or so) it took some right hammer including taking me to university and back every term loaded to the gunwales with the suspension on it's bump stops - it was bought as a second car for commuting but did a good 5 years as the only car mum and dad had. It never had anything apart from servicing, and there wasn't a spot of rust on it either.

OP
OP
mustang1

mustang1

Legendary Member
My commuter bike's done close to 70,000 miles in just under 9 years, and another 3.5 years or so should see it passing 100,000. :okay:
All on the original engine!

I was given a new Vectra (August 1st 1996) with the same engine. My first and last diesel, just pulling out of a junction was playing Russian roulette, overtaking a tractor near Doncaster was nearly the end of me....

We had, at one point, a mk 3 (5-door) hatchback with same engine, it was a cracker
I still remember a 'reasonably fast' run between Settle & Hawes, via Ribblehead, that I think I'd be hard pressed to beat in the (re-mapped) Octavia
Maybe the Vectras added weight made the difference

OP
OP
mustang1

mustang1

Legendary Member
I,ve often found cars that do long journeys and rack the mileage up are far more reliable than cars that do short journeys and have low mileages. My old truck had nearly 600k under its belt before it was sold on.
When you say "truck", do mean in the American sense like an SUV, or in the British sense like an HGV kinda thing?

gbb

Legendary Member
Vectras and Cavaliers are funny things....i loved the old Cavs as well, had an ancient Ascona (Opels Cavalier) 1.6 SR and it was long in the tooth but cant remember how many miles, never let me down.
Had a 1.6 petrol Cavalier 1992, again, a really good simple, reliable car.
!.8 Vectra SRI, 2001...loved that but it got a tap in the engine at 88K plus management lights intermittently so i suspect that one probably didnt last long after i traded it in.
My son had the Vectra C 1.9 SRI CDTI estate...jeez that could shift...it'd done way over 100K, maybe 140K but it had to have a new DMF on it at considerable expense. Still looked clean when he sold it though.

OP
OP
mustang1

mustang1

Legendary Member
100,000, small change. One of eight, three adults, 5 kids, in a VW Beetle when it clocked 1,000,000 miles.

On the Galway/Clare border at the time, travelling back from Mayo.

Don't think I'll see that again.
:cheers:
Well that requires an emoticon right there. Incredible. I've seen some test cars with higher mileage but that's because they are driven around in circles at constant engine speed. But your one million is brilliant.

Reactions: gbb

Tin Pot

Guru
IS 100k miles notable these days? Both of our family cars have over 120k, and one of them is quite nice (the other is an absolute nail, but it was only £500 and never goes more than 20 miles or so)

I think the point is a car you've actually put 100K on, not just some shoot heap you've bought with x00K on the clock.

wonderloaf

Veteran
I run around in a Honda Civic with 220,000 miles on the clock. Damn thing is starting to prove unreliable, though. Last year we had to replace one of the front suspension ball joints after only 13 years. Sheesh, they just don't make cars the way they used to.
Mrs W has got a 2005 Civic with ~78k on the clock, our local garage has a love/hate relationship with it ... they love it because it's easy work on, but hate it because it never goes wrong (apart from wear and tear items). That's why I love it!

1990 Audi 100 137000, faultless miles. Owned for 14 years, very well maintained, never washed, used daily. 20170914_162739-1.jpg 20170914_162807-1.jpg HERMANN ENGINE.jpg 20170411_111758.jpg 20170411_111812-1.jpg 20170411_111744.jpg 20170411_111825.jpg

1986 VW Golf 1.3 113,000 miles, owned for 23 years, currently SORN in dry storage for 8 years after I cross polarised the battery and knackered the alternator. Dohhhh! Probably going to sell.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1258

Mrs W has got a 2005 Civic with ~78k on the clock, our local garage has a love/hate relationship with it ... they love it because it's easy work on, but hate it because it never goes wrong (apart from wear and tear items). That's why I love it!

My Son had an elderly Civic, it had covered well over 100,000 miles and went really well, unfortunately someone drove into it whilst it was parked outside his flat and wrote it off. He's now got another one, 2006 reg I think, that goes nice as well.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I have a 2006 Berlingo, bought new, which has 183k on the clock. In that time it's had a steering rack, a road spring, and a couple of new batteries. It still goes pretty well, though we don't use it for long journeys any more.

Con

Über Member
Not got a picture of the car but this my old 2009 Skoda Fabia speedo with 235k on it. This was taken on the 17th of December 2015 . I sold it to a friend 6 months later with over 260k on it and its still going strong. Ps I put 240k on it myself

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170914-191518.png
    Screenshot_20170914-191518.png
    109.2 KB · Views: 17
Top Bottom