Show us what you're doing at work today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swansonj

Guru
IMG_1096.JPG

Last week, actually, but I'd forgotten about this thread last week.

gbb

Legendary Member
It was free. seriously.
20170928_141959.jpg
20170928_142205.jpg

Container housed emergency generator, Perkins 3000 series V12 twin turbo engine coupled to a 1200 amp 880kVa generator...from a closed down bakery apparently.
Shipping paid by us, yet to have a full service and test and installation by outside company, probable cost IRO £10K.
We just had to get the doors to the container open...keys were lost.

Funny though...built in 2000, it's only got 31...yes 31 hours run time on it :laugh:

woosey

It was free. seriously.
View attachment 375873 View attachment 375874
Container housed emergency generator, Perkins 3000 series V12 twin turbo engine coupled to a 1200 amp 880kVa generator...from a closed down bakery apparently.
Shipping paid by us, yet to have a full service and test and installation by outside company, probable cost IRO £10K.
We just had to get the doors to the container open...keys were lost.

Funny though...built in 2000, it's only got 31...yes 31 hours run time on it :laugh:

Jealous! I only get to play with a 32L V8 twin turbo and a 42L V16 twin turbo ;) Seriously though how did you manage to swing that for free!

Attachments

• Cummings.jpg
    Cummings.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 54
  • MTU.jpg
    MTU.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 48
Reactions: gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Jealous! I only get to play with a 32L V8 twin turbo and a 42L V16 twin turbo ;) Seriously though how did you manage to swing that for free!
I know...i wonder how come it's come our way.
I theorized maybe they've made an enquiry to a company / companies for the feasibility/ cost of having emergency power backup. One of these companies has ownership of this generator and if we have it for free, they will get the installation / service work...which may well be very lucrative. Just a theory because who gives away something that would cost...i dunno...maybe tens of thousands when new.
As a footnote, apparently it used 40 gallons of fuel per HOUR when running :whistle:

gbb

Legendary Member
20171002_145428.jpg
20171002_145438.jpg

My first serious foray into box strapping machines, got some manufacturer training on setup and servicing last week whule playing with one in the workshop to build experience...todays been quiet so just took myself in a corner with one.

we have around 30 of them...should keep us busy.

Last edited:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Aaah - new toys ! :hyper:

So is this an extra 30 bits of kit to service/maintain ... in addition to the stuff you already have ? Must have lots of extra maintenance team workers for that .... ;)

Reactions: gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
No sorry, we always had them but I'm just venturing into another arm of the business, one I never got involved in before but am forced to.
The PPM schedule on 'my side' includes around 100 different services a month on maybe 40 pieces of equipment, some very quick condition checks, some include more major stuff, most of it quite straightforward,
Then there's the other arm of the business that has 25 packing lines, including the strappers. I have to know them in case of sickness , holidays etc...not like I'm already busy enough but it's just in case so I can cover gaps.
Not a big engineering staff, one manager, 2 x 4on 4 off shifts of 2 guys and me on days. Keeps ya busy...too busy sometimes.
The strappers get a monthly clean and check, all reasonably straightforward it seems.

Top Bottom