Show us what you're doing at work today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Do you have a base on Alconbury airfield ?...I think I see their equipment quite regularly.

No, we hired the crane in for a specific job

Reactions: gbb

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Using wooden nails fired through a gun to make NLT - Nail Laminated Timber. Entire walls of houses can be made this way and, because the nails are wooden, you can run a saw or a router through them with no damage. Early days but I'm working really hard with the Green Building Council people and others to construct an entire house using wooden nails instead of galvanised iron nails manufactured at huge energy and environmental costs in places like China and Mexico.

View: https://youtu.be/LLKGpFoga6I

Heigue'r

Veteran
Using wooden nails fired through a gun to make NLT - Nail Laminated Timber. Entire walls of houses can be made this way and, because the nails are wooden, you can run a saw or a router through them with no damage. Early days but I'm working really hard with the Green Building Council people and others to construct an entire house using wooden nails instead of galvanised iron nails manufactured at huge energy and environmental costs in places like China and Mexico.

View: https://youtu.be/LLKGpFoga6I

Have any refused to go in?The protection around the nailer head looks interesting.

I spent the day shooting galvanised iron nails into 45mmx25mm lengths of merati,looks good but no pic,not a bad day to be building fences

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Have any refused to go in?The protection around the nailer head looks interesting.

I spent the day shooting galvanised iron nails into 45mmx25mm lengths of merati,looks good but no pic,not a bad day to be building fences

Very small fences :laugh:

The plastic guard is usually the first thing removed because it gets glazed and covered in oil/sawdust but this is a newish gun used in pristine surroundings. You'll notice one nail smashed the top 5mm (that's why I had to take the gun out of picture to check no splinters in the feed).

gbb

Legendary Member
During last weeks overhaul I changed both heater looms, both flex a lot in operation so a preventative measure. Trouble is the existing cable markers were in poor condition or gone so I had 12 cables to 6 separate heaters to work out. I thought I'd got it right butthe OP told me today somethings wrong so its refer back to the wiring diagrams, ID exactly which cables go to which heater then physically check what I'd done...and yes, I'd got two slightly wrong. No harm, it just meant they had to select the wrong heater on the control screen to adjust the settings.
20190628_090402.jpg

20190628_090406.jpg

Plus one diagram which gave the the cable IDs and which heater they went to...
20190628_090416.jpg

Oops, upside down...
Cable connections to heater plugs, 2 pairs of brackets, 3 heaters connected to each.
20190628_105524.jpg

Spare loom before fitting...
20190628_090503.jpg

All corrected in 20 minutes, that's the trouble with trying to do everything in a rush, lesson learned, slow down.

Also had to convert the Spanish diagrams to English to u understand what Asa , Fondo and Superior meant before I started, this relates to each heater set, Handle, Bottom and Top. The wonders of the internet.

Attachments

• 20190628_090348.jpg
    20190628_090348.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

gbb

Legendary Member
Should probably be in mundane news but this last week or so has seen very few breakdowns so I used the time to review the chemicals cosh files and create new cosh assessments for all of them ( around 60 of them, each assessment taking maybe 30 mins)
20190724_151115.jpg

That's a M&S rose navel (aka cara cara oranges I think) i was furtively trying...very nice and sweet.
All assessments done barring inclusion of their relevant CHIP hazard symbols...working with a basic version of Adobe so I have to upload each one to the internet, edit to include the symbols then move the downloaded result back to it's original file...all quite laborious.

Should probably be in mundane news but this last week or so has seen very few breakdowns so I used the time to review the chemicals cosh files and create new cosh assessments for all of them ( around 60 of them, each assessment taking maybe 30 mins)

That's a M&S rose navel (aka cara cara oranges I think) i was furtively trying...very nice and sweet.
All assessments done barring inclusion of their relevant CHIP hazard symbols...working with a basic version of Adobe so I have to upload each one to the internet, edit to include the symbols then move the downloaded result back to it's original file...all quite laborious.

No CAS numbers, WEL's, hazardous constituents, risk or safety phrases ?

gbb

Legendary Member
No CAS numbers, WEL's, hazardous constituents, risk or safety phrases ?
Not necessary apparently. The assessment is effectively just a short form of the Coshh sheet, very basic user information, basic risks to the user, treatment, spillage instructions, environmental considerations etc...just very basic stuff the end user should know. Its attached to the full coshh sheet so further info is available. For my money there should be something on the template that instructs the user to view the full data if there is any doubt etc.
WELs etc, for Instance, we cant measure on the job so we wouldn't know what levels we were actually achieving so common sense has to prevail.
99 % of our usage is occasional and modest. I can kinda see the point of a short form assessment with very basic info...but it's all contained, and heaps more, in the full coshh sheet anyway, within the same file.

gbb

Legendary Member
Sinclair label applicator, the type that puts those little oval labels on your apples and oranges..the carriages wont respond and park themselves according to the program.
Open cabinet...first thing I see is two components showing fault...

But then realise they're not in use, no wires connected out the bottom.
Various visual checks, reset trips, reboot etc etc, phone the suppliers, further checks draw a blank.
Low voltage side...just visual checks, loose wires, connectors, resets etc.. no joy.

Go back to it just to have a deeper look for damaged wires...anything really, took a side panel off the machine itself and saw the top rear plug had pulled itself out...haha, reconnected,

Bad design really, those cables are pulling the plug downwards.
I'm a time served (not qualified) mechanic with very basic 3 phase experience. My dad who used to work on Vulcans used to say of such problems...you always fear the worst...but it's usually the simplest things that cause problems. How true.

gbb

Legendary Member
After a week off, first day back, immediately into an electric motor that failed on nights.
100.1 ratio gearbox I don't have so swapped the motor o ly and hope the gearbox is ok..

Terminals swapped for inverter use, not changed at point of taking photo.
Nice straightforward job, motor started in reverse, swapped 2 of the 3 cables, job done, now running correctly.

Top Bottom