Show us your bodge job.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Not a lot of room in the shed so I made a couple of bike hangers out of spare hooks, metal plastic covered Velux window pole and pallet wood. Not pretty but it does the job.

71F0225D-19F4-4A60-B5EF-3520FC73BF53.jpeg
64EB9B5E-1C09-45BA-B0C8-174B3B7C2DD3.jpeg
F3E52776-A7FD-4FB9-AAAE-07B6D924A73F.jpeg

Cycleops

Legendary Member
That's not a bodge but a "work around" :okay:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Bodged a nice 48/38/28 chainset onto my Cannondale road bike to allow me to enjoy the steep local hills rather than half-killing myself using its original 53/39. (The bodging was having to make the double front mech work for the triple by filling a tab down, and I also had to add a shim under the 'b-screw' to get enough movement of the rear mech to stop a rumbling in the biggest 2 sprockets.)

New Stronglight triple chainset and Look Delta pedals on Cannondale CAAD5.jpg

I also wanted lower gears on my Cannondale CX bike so I replaced its 36 inner ring with a 34, and put a 12-36 (or was it 11-36?) cassette on to replace the original 12-30 (or was it 11-30?). I had to put a MTB rear mech on to cope with the big sprocket. The bodge was that a 9-speed MTB mech has a compatible pull-ratio for the bikes' 10-speed shifter!

caadx-new-cassette-and-rear-mech-jpg.jpg

A couple of singlespeed bodges ...

I took a couple of old cassettes to bits and used one of the sprockets at the back, plus a pile of spacers to hold it in place. By carefully selecting the number of spacers either side of the sprocket, I got a perfect chainline.

Singlespeed chainline spacers doofer chain tensioner.jpg

The chain tensioner shown (as supplied) pulls the chain down to tension it. It uses a spring to create the tension. I found that the tensioner arm bounced about on rough roads and I kept unshipping the chain. I bodged it by removing the spring so that I could use the tensioner to push the chain up instead. I added a thick washer on the mounting bolt which allowed me to adjust the tension manually and then tighten the tensioner in that position.

singlespeed-specialized-allez-jpg.jpg

ColinJ

I'd be wary of that single sprocket digging into the freehub body. There's a reason cassettes are usually rivited together. :okay:
I had the same thought, but actually - the single sprocket came from a cassette, so it wasn't riveted to the others!

@colly had a single sprocket chew through his hub's splines on one forum ride. There was a comical moment when he was pedalling like mad to go up a hill but the chain wasn't driving the bike forwards. It might have been the freehub, only it wasn't - all the other gears worked fine!

colly_hub-jpg-jpg.jpg

ColinJ

Of course, normally you wouldn't be riding everywhere in just one gear, so any wear would be spread out over all parts of the cassette/hub splines!

I'm riding a new wheel now. The old one was used s/s for about 3 years and hadn't failed, but I couldn't get the lockring undone to service the freehub. I'll be happy enough if I can get 3 or 4 years use out of this wheel.

Top Bottom