Show us your camping stove.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

freiston

Veteran
Just an update - Decathlon locally has no gas, other than the 'hairspray' type, halfords the same. Did have to renew my Go-Outdoors membership to get some Camping Gaz CV-470's - got some nice steaks to griddle this weekend (assuming weather is OK).

iirc, the last two Coleman canisters that I got, I got delivered from Amazon - possibly to hit the £20 qualifying order for free delivery when my good lady is making an order (I tend to avoid Amazon).

I once went to Decathlon for a canister to be told that they don't stock it out of season.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
iirc, the last two Coleman canisters that I got, I got delivered from Amazon - possibly to hit the £20 qualifying order for free delivery when my good lady is making an order (I tend to avoid Amazon).

I once went to Decathlon for a canister to be told that they don't stock it out of season.

Amazon was delivery 1st Sept. I'm cooking on the grill now. Got 3 spares from go outdoors

OP
OP
S

Sallar55

Veteran
How about the Optimus ones 😄
Save you looking, a couple of stoves that have never been used. Should put them onto one of the stove forums to get rid of them. 🤔
DSC_2860.JPG

DSC_2879.JPG

Last edited:

Petrichorwheels

No-one offering pictures of a Primus. That's a real man's stove. Off to find photos

the old brass things?
That you put some sort of paste or liquid in a trough to "prime".
Then pumped like fury?
Memories of those from the distant scouts.
(such a rigmarole was firing the thing up that I can't remember a single thing about the meals it produced)

edit - have now seen upthread the pics - had jumped - yep those are the things - probably built the British Empire - and may be why it gave up the ghost.
@Sallar55 - our scout beasts may well have been "Optimus".
Came in a tin box I think.

Gwylan

Veteran
the old brass things?
That you put some sort of paste or liquid in a trough to "prime".
Then pumped like fury?
Memories of those from the distant scouts.
(such a rigmarole was firing the thing up that I can't remember a single thing about the meals it produced)

edit - have now seen upthread the pics - had jumped - yep those are the things - probably built the British Empire - and may be why it gave up the ghost.
@Sallar55 - our scout beasts may well have been "Optimus".
Came in a tin box I think.

Yep, my pride and joy.
My father bought it for me 60+ years ago.

Mine has been all over the world. You can always get paraffin. Though recently discovered that white spirit burns well and does not smell.

A surprise was that you can still get spares. Also they have serial numbers that can be traced and used to date them. A project in lock down was to revive it.

Did that and then used to cycle off with HID and find a quiet corner to have a brew and look at the view.

Petrichorwheels

Yep, my pride and joy.
My father bought it for me 60+ years ago.

Mine has been all over the world. You can always get paraffin. Though recently discovered that white spirit burns well and does not smell.

A surprise was that you can still get spares. Also they have serial numbers that can be traced and used to date them. A project in lock down was to revive it.

Did that and then used to cycle off with HID and find a quiet corner to have a brew and look at the view.

all over the world?
damn heavy?
Am somewhat surprised that you even need spares - I had the idea that they were indestructible.
Feel free to post any links to supplies of these things.
Never know, not being a weight weenie, I may be tempted.
Do you cycle with yours?
Or use the dreaded car?
If the latter, am afraid multiple points lost - you may as well tour in a steam engine.

Gwylan

Veteran
all over the world?
damn heavy?
Am somewhat surprised that you even need spares - I had the idea that they were indestructible.
Feel free to post any links to supplies of these things.
Never know, not being a weight weenie, I may be tempted.
Do you cycle with yours?
Or use the dreaded car?
If the latter, am afraid multiple points lost - you may as well tour in a steam engine.

Heavy but powerful and reliable. Bombproof
One dill can do a couple of days of morning coffee and rehydrated whatever. Learned never to expect the label to mean anything. Also assume that the second week on those rations you will die of flatulence or the squits. .

Easier to carry half a litre of fuel than umpteen tins of gas that you have to buy locally.

Yes have cycled with it, climbed and caved with it. Saved my life in a snow hole for 2 days.
I will cycle with it.

Really great when it's freezing or wet.

Re the steam engine, I do know a chap who travels around in a steam powered lorry.

Petrichorwheels

Heavy but powerful and reliable. Bombproof
One dill can do a couple of days of morning coffee and rehydrated whatever. Learned never to expect the label to mean anything. Also assume that the second week on those rations you will die of flatulence or the squits. .

Easier to carry half a litre of fuel than umpteen tins of gas that you have to buy locally.

Yes have cycled with it, climbed and caved with it. Saved my life in a snow hole for 2 days.
I will cycle with it.

Really great when it's freezing or wet.

Re the steam engine, I do know a chap who travels around in a steam powered lorry.

One dill?
where would I find such a thing?
How heavy?
I do seem to recall that they burned very reliably.
ONCE STARTED.

If you are old-school though, never considered a Trangia?

Gwylan

Veteran
One dill?
where would I find such a thing?
How heavy?
I do seem to recall that they burned very reliably.
ONCE STARTED.

If you are old-school though, never considered a Trangia?

Made me get it out of the shed!

Wind shield, desirable 240 gm
Stove in box 900 gm includes fuel for 2+ days
Enough fuel for 4 days 200gm

Separate post for photos.

OP
OP
S

Sallar55

Veteran
Did you know that a bracket was available to clamp the primus stove onto the top tube of a bike. Was a popular accessory for the old cyclists going to a drum up ( a fire and a can if you were poor for making tea) . No problems with leaking fuel in saddlebag or panniers. Image from a primus stove Forum, this one is soldered on.

12332-c0fe544a1faa9e199db637a45c635e8b.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom