Show us your camping stove.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Got one of these for cooking outside/on the beach. I love it.

https://www.campingaz.com/Benelux/p-27372-party-grill-400-cv-gas-stove.aspx

Love comping gaz stuff……i got these two

B24A7F10-5DBE-44DB-891D-9D301BA63A1A.jpeg

42388FB8-1FC8-45EA-A9AA-C407D42CC881.jpeg

image.jpg

just cooked my breakfast on the plancha……..this area will all be rebuilt in september, its a mess at the moment as i finish the rest of the deck.

freiston

Veteran
I have a Trangia 25 Duossal and a 27 Duossal plus a few more Trangia bits and pieces. I have spirit burners and a gas burner. I also have a small bag for my utensils and a chopping board.

Here's the 25 with my standard "full cooking kit":
52300052142_04525adf70_h.jpg

. . . and here's it in use cooking bacon (on gas) whilst cycle-camping in the woods:
52300052592_7aefb95b81_h.jpg

freiston

Veteran
I had a go at making a tin can spirit burner after seeing an ingenious design by an Australian bloke on Youtube. I've never taken it camping but I did try it out in the back garden - boils water very fast (even in a saucepan weighing over a kilo) but runs out of fuel quite fast too. No flame adjustment.

The fuel in the bottom of the can is lit to prime - the stove warms up, the fuel vaporises to be burnt off at the top of the can. The pan rests directly on the top of the can and air is drawn in through the holes at the bottom. The top slots for the flame are cut on the diagonal so that the flame ignites all the way round when you light it (otherwise you have to light it all the way around).

Here's a photo, taken as the light was going so that the flame showed up better.

52300078282_1768583ceb_b.jpg

I've got a metal canister (without lid) which can be used to snuff the flame or possibly to decant unused fuel back to the fuel bottle (I haven't tried this but it would not be possible to do it straight from the "stove" because of all the holes. The stove, snuffer and fuel bottle all stack together:

52301616405_6f20701ff4_z.jpg

52301616340_f3d8ccb604.jpg

Last edited:
I have a Trangia 25 Duossal and a 27 Duossal plus a few more Trangia bits and pieces. I have spirit burners and a gas burner. I also have a small bag for my utensils and a chopping board.

View attachment 658227

. . . and here's it in use cooking bacon (on gas) whilst cycle-camping in the woods:
View attachment 658228

Always useful to have a clean board but you can get flexible ones that are about 1mm thick and weigh almost nothing.
A dedicated cooking knife with sheath is more hygienic than a swiss army folder. Bright yellow Kuhon Rikon paring knife is my choice.
Trangias do encourage you to bring the whole kitchen. I cooked up a 3 course steak dinner to celebrate by first bicycle touring border crossing.

freiston

Veteran
Always useful to have a clean board but you can get flexible ones that are about 1mm thick and weigh almost nothing.
A dedicated cooking knife with sheath is more hygienic than a swiss army folder. Bright yellow Kuhon Rikon paring knife is my choice.
Trangias do encourage you to bring the whole kitchen. I cooked up a 3 course steak dinner to celebrate by first bicycle touring border crossing.

I have an MSR santoku knife* with sheath in the photo above; it is a compromise over what I would use in the kitchen but it's better than the knives in my parents' kitchen! I do have thinner flexible chopping boards but prefer something rigid - especially when there's not a good hard flat surface to put it. I sometimes (not often) take a washing up bowl too! It's a small one and I can fill it with stuff before sliding it into a pannier - so it takes up hardly any room but most campsites are well enough equipped to not need it.

* MSR call it "Alpine Chefs Knife" (added as an edit).

Petrichorwheels

Love comping gaz stuff……i got these two

View attachment 658050

View attachment 658051

View attachment 658052
just cooked my breakfast on the plancha……..this area will all be rebuilt in september, its a mess at the moment as i finish the rest of the deck.

good gas cartridges but i assume you don't carry the stove on the bike.

Petrichorwheels

View attachment 658227

View attachment 658228

how do you find the duossal?
prefer to normal ally or the non stick/hard anodised?
and if so why.

cycling birmingham to london once I chanced across a small family cooking bacon on a Trangia by a canal. Smelt so glorious I was sorely tempted to try to pathetically beg some.

freiston

Veteran
how do you find the duossal?
prefer to normal ally or the non stick/hard anodised?
and if so why.

cycling birmingham to london once I chanced across a small family cooking bacon on a Trangia by a canal. Smelt so glorious I was sorely tempted to try to pathetically beg some.

I like the duossal - they're a lot tougher than the aluminium and can take a lot of punishment (and scouring). For basic one/two pot cooking (like frying off onions etc before adding tomatoes, wine or stock) they're great and imho give a more even heat but frying eggs and bacon in the frying pan can get a bit messy (not a problem with my 27 as it came with a non-stick frying pan). I have thought about getting a non-stick or anodised frying pan for the 25 but money is tight and I don't really need one. I almost always use the gas burner which gives good precise control over the flame and can go hotter than the spirit burner, so both the opportunity to burn/stick less and more than when using alcohol.

Having cycle-camped a bit as a teenager in the 1980s, I only got back into it a few years back and I got the Duossal 25 & 27 from the outset (25 first then the 27 when I realised I could do with something a bit smaller & lighter) so my last experience of using plain thin aluminium camping pots and pans is about 40 years ago (but I've done a lot of cooking in the house since) and I'm so impressed with the Duossal that I'm glad I've got them.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just an update - Decathlon locally has no gas, other than the 'hairspray' type, halfords the same. Did have to renew my Go-Outdoors membership to get some Camping Gaz CV-470's - got some nice steaks to griddle this weekend (assuming weather is OK).

Top Bottom