Show us your Cargo bike!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Boopop

Guru
Where's the love for cargo bikes? Mine's great, I love it. Here's some photos of mine in its various modes:

With cat (Lola):
1592514008875.png

With random boxes:
1592514055869.png

With convoy box (its default setup for me):
1592514132186.png

Here it is without anything on top with a brother from another mother rocking a nice sound system:
1592514195668.png

Finally here it is with my turbo trainer strapped on before lockdown started:
1592514256499.png

I love my cargo bike, it's so versatile. I live in Leighton Buzzard and it's such a compact town, I don't need a car. With this thing I can actually give people lifts. Anyway enough of my Bullitt love-fest. Your turn. Show us what you carry with your cargo bike. How's yours affected/improved your life?

EDIT: Ah, I gather this may belong in the photo gallery sub-forum. Feel free to move it if so.

Last edited:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I can't post mine because i don't have one but I just wanted to convey (1) my sheer envy, and (2) my admiration for your bike. It's very, very nice. I'm looking forward to seeing others, I think these are awesome machines. :okay:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Where's the love for cargo bikes? Mine's great, I love it. Here's some photos of mine in its various modes:

With cat (Lola):
View attachment 530849

With random boxes:
View attachment 530850

With convoy box (its default setup for me):
View attachment 530851
Here it is without anything on top with a brother from another mother rocking a nice sound system:
View attachment 530852

Finally here it is with my turbo trainer strapped on before lockdown started:
View attachment 530853

I love my cargo bike, it's so versatile. I live in Leighton Buzzard and it's such a compact town, I don't need a car. With this thing I can actually give people lifts. Anyway enough of my Bullitt love-fest. Your turn. Show us what you carry with your cargo bike. How's yours affected/improved your life?

EDIT: Ah, I gather this may belong in the photo gallery sub-forum. Feel free to move it if so.

That looks amazing 🙏

I want one (and I'm not generally a 'wanty' kind of person).

Dare I ask how it copes with hills??

Leighton Buzzard is flattish yes?

Could be tempted, for hauling shoot, if there was an e' version maybe.

But it looks ace anyhow, and a nice colour:becool:.

OP
OP
Boopop

Boopop

Guru
That looks amazing 🙏

I want one (and I'm not generally a 'wanty' kind of person).

Dare I ask how it copes with hills??

Leighton Buzzard is flattish yes?

Could be tempted, for hauling shoot, if there was an e' version maybe.

But it looks ace anyhow, and a nice colour:becool:.

Well the Bullitt is 22kg, so it handles hills about as well as you'd expect a 22kg bike to handle them :tongue:. Mainly depends on the gearing. I'd quite like a smaller chainring on mine for the hill up to my flat from Tesco. That said I'm pretty fit and overall LB is pretty flat, so I haven't bothered.

There is an electric version, as is the case with most cargo bikes. Mine cost £1.9k second hand, and that's with di2 hub gearing and nice disc brakes. The lockable waterproof box was another £400. I think I've seen e-Bullitts go for under £3k on eBay. RRP for ebullitts is over £4k. Here's an ex-demo second hand one for £4k. https://www.velodomestique.co.uk/shop-bikes/ebullittblue

Oh and thanks! Part of the reason I bought it was to start conversations about reducing car dependancy :smile: If I had kids they'd totally be passengers in it too.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Well the Bullitt is 22kg, so it handles hills about as well as you'd expect a 22kg bike to handle them :tongue:. Mainly depends on the gearing. I'd quite like a smaller chainring on mine for the hill up to my flat from Tesco. That said I'm pretty fit and overall LB is pretty flat, so I haven't bothered.

There is an electric version, as is the case with most cargo bikes. Mine cost £1.9k second hand, and that's with di2 hub gearing and nice disc brakes. The lockable waterproof box was another £400. I think I've seen e-Bullitts go for under £3k on eBay. RRP for ebullitts is over £4k. Here's an ex-demo second hand one for £4k. https://www.velodomestique.co.uk/shop-bikes/ebullittblue

Oh and thanks! Part of the reason I bought it was to start conversations about reducing car dependancy :smile: If I had kids they'd totally be passengers in it too.

Cool thanks.. Very useful info.

I had kids, I was / still am, an eco-freak :wacko:

Chidders were passengers on all sorts of bike contraptions, up until a tandem.

Thankfully, they are burly enough for their own two wheels now.

But I run two businesses, both involving 'stuff' transportation.

I think its high time the ol 'Capital Allowances' got properly used -

- I imagine a sainted cargo bike could get written off / down first year.. :okay:

Hmnn, been considering it for years, and the s/h prices are only going to get better.

Thanks for the nudge.

OP
OP
Boopop

Boopop

Guru
Cool thanks.. Very useful info.

I had kids, I was / still am, an eco-freak :wacko:

Chidders were passengers on all sorts of bike contraptions, up until a tandem.

Thankfully, they are burly enough for their own two wheels now.

But I run two businesses, both involving 'stuff' transportation.

I think its high time the ol 'Capital Allowances' got properly used -

- I imagine a sainted cargo bike could get written off / down first year.. :okay:

Hmnn, been considering it for years, and the s/h prices are only going to get better.

Thanks for the nudge.

Woohoo! Good luck. Compared to the alternatives cargo bikes are really cheap to run to get stuff shifted. :smile:

OP
OP
Boopop

Boopop

Guru
I’d love one but storage would be a big issue. How much room do they need?

My one is in my garage and fits in about the same space as a tandem...obviously the cargo area is a bit wider though. There are smaller options however, such as the Tern GSD

1592518684800.png

It's not all about having a larger than normal footprint though. Even the humble Royal Mail Mailstar/ Pashley Pronto is classed as a cargo bike:
1592518737975.png

classic33

Leg End Member
I've a Brox, a cargo quad. Which I've used for shopping, dump trips and collecting larger items rather than pay for delivery.

Here's our mid-drive Ute conversion with a TSDZ2, pictured with the biggest load I managed to move safely (sort of). It's since been restored to factory spec and sold on with the upgraded parts about to be put on a Yuba Mundo frameset.

Looking at trailers now to max out the load-lugging capacity for trips to the tip, timber yard etc. Amazing what you can move on the things, and even more now with the availability of after-market mid-drive kits.

OP
OP
Boopop

Boopop

Guru
That's a classy looking bike @Pedropete. Love the bags. What trailers are you looking at? I've got a Burley Nomad but in hindsight I think I'd like something with a flat bed...not that I need it much these days anyway.

That's a classy looking bike @Pedropete. Love the bags. What trailers are you looking at? I've got a Burley Nomad but in hindsight I think I'd like something with a flat bed...not that I need it much these days anyway.
Thanks, it ended up looking almost too coordinated with the crate up front ^_^. The bags were the original Kona bags: bit tatty but super strong and absolutely cavernous. Have to say I always fancied a Bakfiets style and really like the Bullitt but our roads are shockingly bad so the smaller front wheel would be a problem and I've found 26" long-tails tend to climb better, and there're a lot of hills round here.

I'm looking at flat-beds too, though there aren't that many available with a decent load capacity. Strongest candidate so far is the large Carry Freedom Y, and possibly the Wike DIY cargo kit if I want to build my own. Will need a custom hitch for either of them as the Mundo's low-loader bars foul the towing-arm on most designs. Bikes at Work make a hitch that'll work but it'll be around £100 with shipping and VAT/duty from the US. The Surly 'Bill' is great (if expensive) but not sure the hitch is compatible either.

Last edited:
Top Bottom