Show us your Cargo bike!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Boopop

Boopop

Guru
Bump. I've now got a new trailer. Previously a Burley Nomad, now a Carry Freedom Y Large. Used it to get loads of groceries via collection. Then the pickup truck turned up. I think I actually brought more groceries home.
1612091185591.png

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Looks great.:okay:

I do like the Bullitt. I've had one of those on my wishlist for a long time. One day perhaps......:wub:

As per the original post, this probably would be better in the photo gallery so somewhat belatedly I shall move it.

OP
OP
Boopop

Boopop

Guru
@Rickshaw Phil - I'm a bit confused, we have "Show us your Tandem" in the tandem sub forum, that's been in there since July, and then "Show us your MTB" in the MTB sub forum which has been bumbling along since 2017 in there. I'd much rather have this thread in the cycling forum it best applies to I think (family cycling). Yes this is for people to post their photos, but also discuss cargo bikes. Thanks :smile:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
@Rickshaw Phil - I'm a bit confused, we have "Show us your Tandem" in the tandem sub forum, that's been in there since July, and then "Show us your MTB" in the MTB sub forum which has been bumbling along since 2017 in there. I'd much rather have this thread in the cycling forum it best applies to I think (family cycling). Yes this is for people to post their photos, but also discuss cargo bikes. Thanks :smile:
Okay, no problem, I can put it back. I just thought it would attact more general interest in the photo section.

OP
OP
Boopop

Boopop

Guru
Okay, no problem, I can put it back. I just thought it would attact more general interest in the photo section.
Thanks. Oh no, I just realised in the OP I'd edited it to say "Ah, I gather this may belong in the photo gallery sub-forum. Feel free to move it if so.". Well thanks for not pointing that out :laugh:. I think after you moved it the first time seeing similar threads in their respective discipline sub-forums convinced me it was best left here :smile:

Been trundling round on a Yuba Mundo since selling the Ute and have to say I'm still loving the long-tail life. Most of the bits we bought for the Ute swapped straight on to the Mundo and it's turned out to be incredibly versatile, if slightly tank-like. In fact, it's now referred to as 'Tank' in our house. It's slowly evolved too as I've added custom made running boards and deck, along with 48v lights wired into the battery. Sort of a rolling study in utility cycling. I'm back to looking at trailers again now so I can do trips to the garden centre, tip, etc. How are you getting on with your Carry Freedom Y @Boopop ?

84BD0D1C-B3BF-4ACB-BA0F-A986F7B74CB2.jpeg
962BAF1F-C925-4E91-8C7C-E44BAEAD5FE5.jpeg
D8713265-7D9C-443D-BFA7-1B179151FD43.jpeg

OP
OP
Boopop

Boopop

Guru
How are you getting on with your Carry Freedom Y @Boopop ?

Cool bike! I bet you can easily take passengers on that. I thought I could with the Bullitt but it can be a bit tricky to get them comfortably seated.

The main issue I have with the CarryFreedom trailer is getting it off and on the hitch. I suspect spraying it with some GT85 would fix that though. I mainly bought it so I wouldn't have to remove the convoy box from the Bullitt to shift oblong objects. Besides that, I'll also be able to take both my fancy new Orbea Orca road bike on the train, along with Lola the cat on the trailer! Still need to buy a thru axle adaptor for that. So I guess I love the Carry Freedom trailer but so far I don't use it that much. The three recent uses I can think of are groceries as pictured earlier, taking a friend's heavy return to the shop yesterday (it would fit in the box but would mean bending my back to get it out again), and finally last year when I was helping with Dr Bike I decided to bring an armchair, just for the fun of it:

1614247508775.png

Cool bike! I bet you can easily take passengers on that. I thought I could with the Bullitt but it can be a bit tricky to get them comfortably seated.
Thanks. With a 250kg load rating It's perfect for passengers, though my wife has refused to ride pillion again until I get a pad for the deck. Don't think she enjoyed the speed bumps. All that said, the 'dump it in the box and go' versatility of the longjohn/bakfiets style does appeal, especially with a locking box. Probably the biggest limitation to usability of long-tails is the lack of secure storage, meaning you have to take everything off the bike if you're leaving it. The Velocker box-panniers are good but very expensive and not very big.

The main issue I have with the CarryFreedom trailer is getting it off and on the hitch. I suspect spraying it with some GT85 would fix that though. I mainly bought it so I wouldn't have to remove the convoy box from the Bullitt to shift oblong objects. Besides that, I'll also be able to take both my fancy new Orbea Orca road bike on the train, along with Lola the cat on the trailer! Still need to buy a thru axle adaptor for that. So I guess I love the Carry Freedom trailer but so far I don't use it that much. The three recent uses I can think of are groceries as pictured earlier, taking a friend's heavy return to the shop yesterday (it would fit in the box but would mean bending my back to get it out again), and finally last year when I was helping with Dr Bike I decided to bring an armchair, just for the fun of it:
That's good to know, thanks. I was considering whether to go for the Weber coupling option for similar reasons, that and the built-in locking. It's the rapid-flat-packing and load capacity of the Y that appeals. Probably only matched by the Hinterher but for a lot less money!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Boopop

Boopop

Guru
I regret selling my old Sharky. View attachment 575779

Oh no! You'll always be missed Sharky! I think assuming I'm always within say 20 miles of the nearest town centre I'll always aim to have a cargo bike of some sort. I can see how they don't solve as many problems for people who live further than that from a high street/supermarket though.

Top Bottom