Show us your Cargo bike!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Boopop

Boopop

Guru
Local food parcel deliveries. It's a good work out and makes even the most timid of hills feel a bit like the Alpe d'Huez 💪. You do arrive at the addresses rather sweaty though 😁

1622875225666.png

Gcycle

Hi guys, I am new and from Australia. I was
just about to ask peoples opinions about using these in business settings I use alot of tooling that is heavier than most shopping trips i.e. welders leads and hand tools. I dont think I could shave too much weight off the tooling. Asking the toolstore for a lightweight hammer and such.:laugh:
I really want to break away from using the vehicle to go across town and park there all day. But, I worry about security, some of the tooling is way more expensive than the bike and insurance is same as for small car cause of theft. How are we managing these issues at the moment.
And while Ive already made a long post:rolleyes: Where is the best place to hitch a trailer so as not to damage frame with stresses and such.
Thanks in advance. You guys really have some cool setups.

grldtnr

My one is in my garage and fits in about the same space as a tandem...obviously the cargo area is a bit wider though. There are smaller options however, such as the Tern GSD

View attachment 530874

It's not all about having a larger than normal footprint though. Even the humble Royal Mail Mailstar/ Pashley Pronto is classed as a cargo bike:
View attachment 530875
I had 100's of those, I used to service them as a Royal Mail bike mechanic!

OP
OP
Boopop

Boopop

Guru
just about to ask peoples opinions about using these in business settings I use alot of tooling that is heavier than most shopping trips i.e. welders leads and hand tools. I dont think I could shave too much weight off the tooling. Asking the toolstore for a lightweight hammer and such.:laugh:
I really want to break away from using the vehicle to go across town and park there all day. But, I worry about security, some of the tooling is way more expensive than the bike and insurance is same as for small car cause of theft. How are we managing these issues at the moment.
And while Ive already made a long post:rolleyes: Where is the best place to hitch a trailer so as not to damage frame with stresses and such.

Hey @Gcycle, welcome, and thanks for the compliments :smile: Do you have a local or national cycle advocacy/campaign group you can speak to about this? If they're good for anything they ought to be all over you looking to switch away from a motor vehicle like this. It's a constant battle to prove to politicians that business, especially trade business such as yours can operate from a bicycle. Are you on twitter? Looks like there's @WeRideAustralia . I bet they'd love to hear from you.

There's a few more reasons I suggest getting in touch with them beyond what already I've said. They ought to have some experience with people in your position, I think the majority of members on this forum are from the UK, and finally you might struggle to find people coming at this problem from the same angle as you (business).

Good luck in your journey to make your dayjob more sustainable and please keep us posted - the world needs more people like you! :notworthy:

Gcycle

Much appreciate the tip and at some stage I will suss them out a bit more. At this stage They seem a bit political and very city focused and I just want to find some time time to ride the bike more. Although I am sure I would look just fine with my undies on the outside. Im always in too short supply of coffee to bother saving the world....even from themselves. As a professional fabricator I am very interested in exploring ideas to help me and others make cycling less of a weekend thing.

OP
OP
Boopop

Boopop

Guru
Much appreciate the tip and at some stage I will suss them out a bit more. At this stage They seem a bit political and very city focused and I just want to find some time time to ride the bike more. Although I am sure I would look just fine with my undies on the outside. Im always in too short supply of coffee to bother saving the world....even from themselves. As a professional fabricator I am very interested in exploring ideas to help me and others make cycling less of a weekend thing.

Any utility cycle organisation, local, national, or otherwise is always going to be political, if they're actually caring for their members. The only way to get infrastructure that keeps cyclists safe is to be political about it. The motor industry has been politically involved in lobbying governments across the planet since its inception.

I've been running a mobile bike maintenance service for six months using a longtail cargo bike and trailer, and there are lots of skilled trades using bikes in mainland Europe and increasingly in the UK too.

I'd suggest a Bakfiets/longjohn style (cargo box at the front) would be better suited as you can have a higher volume and lockable cargo area. Urban Arrow make some pretty clever locking metal cabinet/box add-ons for their bikes. If you need to lug a lot of gear then a trailer comes in handy too. The Carry Freedom 'Y' is a solid lightweight choice, with sturdier (and heavier) options being available from Hinterher, Surly and Bikes at Work. Most trailer designs hitch to the rear axle, so again, a Bakfiets/longjohn style is easier as you have a relatively standard rear triangle and no running boards to foul on the drawbar.

Security's definitely the bigger challenge and a cargo bike will never be on a par with a van or car for that, but you can tilt the odds in your favour by using multiple decent quality locks, an alarm and good judgement in where and when you lock the rig up.

So, it can definitely be done, just a case of finding the gear that meets your needs and adapting your working habits to suit. Good luck and let us know how you get on!

Last edited:
That looks fabulous!

I can imagine lots of people just want their bike fixed quickly at their home. What a great service!
Thanks! And yes, a lot of customers get a real kick when I arrive on a bike ^_^ Going to be running some Dr. Bike sessions next month and the local council's Wellbeing team are very excited about the way I work

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Thanks! And yes, a lot of customers get a real kick when I arrive on a bike ^_^ Going to be running some Dr. Bike sessions next month and the local council's Wellbeing team are very excited about the way I work
Now there is a business that could expand as a franchise. I know loads of people do it but branded bikes, well trained staff, competitive prices. Fabulous I think and a great way to prove you don't need a van.

Top Bottom