Show us your Daft, Pointless or plain hard to use cycle lanes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
View attachment 149902

Never seen it used by anybody ....
I think that's a 1980s end-of-route sign, so it's been left there a long time not to be used. That really does look a bit bonkers, but not difficult for cyclists to ignore.

They look exactly like all the 'tramline' slabs i've seen on cycleways around here. Either you're exaggerating the danger (!) they pose, or the ones installed down south are very different.
I hope you don't discover your bravado is misplaced. Do you like them or benefit from them somehow?

Here's an example of the more severe ones, incorrectly installed on a bend (picture under CC-By-SA by peteowens):
cyclestreets85702-size640.jpg

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Is this a wind-up? That bollard presents more of a hazard.

Last edited:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
This one is near me.

NewRoad.jpg

WTF :eek:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I think that's a 1980s end-of-route sign, so it's been left there a long time not to be used. That really does look a bit bonkers, but not difficult for cyclists to ignore.

I hope you don't discover your bravado is misplaced. Do you like them or benefit from them somehow?

Here's an example of the more severe ones, incorrectly installed on a bend (picture under CC-By-SA by peteowens):
cyclestreets85702-size640.jpg

'kinell - wonder how many have beed off'd by that. It's just nuts

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I don't dislike them. And I'm sure some people may well benefit from a tactile indicator of which side of a shared use track is intended for foot traffic.
Fine, put a tactile indicator on the side intended for foot traffic. I just think it's a bit mean to put skid hazards that are rarely level and don't drain (so fill with ice in winter) on the cycleable side. We don't put tactile indicators on motorable lanes...

which reminds me of LCC's page What would British roads look like if we treated them the same way we do our cycle lanes?
in_content.jpg

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...

As LCC really should know, that particularly egregious example of a bike lane (which was a bodged solution to what was, in fairness, a tricky problem) has been replaced by a far more sensible, if still experimental solution - the road has been made one way to motorised vehicles, with two-way bike working in wide lanes on either side. What's more, at either end of the length the one-way street goes in opposition directions, so it's useless as a car rat-run.

https://www.camden.gov.uk/ccm/conte...-place-experimental-traffic-changes.en?page=4

U

User482

I hope everyone posting a photo is also advising the respective local councils exactly what's wrong or dangerous about the cycle lane being commented on. As otherwise nothing will ever change.
I have. would you like to guess my success rate?

Top Bottom