Show us your Daft, Pointless or plain hard to use cycle lanes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Shaped concrete tiles laid in a design that imitates such rails. See the earlier post:
Thought so. I just can't imagine them causing anyone to fall off.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Thought so. I just can't imagine them causing anyone to fall off.
Try to cross them at an angle on thin tyres and the front tyre can get snatched into line with the tramlines, throwing you off, or the back tyre can skid sideways along them, throwing you off, or the whole thing can railroad you into any obstruction too close in front of it, which is why they shouldn't be installed within 4m of a bend or barrier. Even with thicker tyres, it can make the handlebars skip around unpleasantly or subject the back wheel to buckling forces. And finally, the tiles almost never remain level with the adjacent tarmac. No cycle-friendly place would install them on cycle tracks IMO.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Not yet, but it would be a fitting punishment for them, wouldn't it?
Screenshots_2016-10-31-18-49-28.png

Maybe have them use this cycle path?

Infirmary Rd, Sheffield.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I bet my one is the only one that take the cyclist within 5 feet of a motorway just as the slip road is going into two lanes and expects the cyclist to dismount and make a mad dash for the central reservation with cars getting up to 70mph. There are way around it but all involve more climbing

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.2...QYz0PDUETbRXBI7XdA_g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

I never use but it can get a bit hairy with cars undertaking and overtaking you @ 50+

I made a few complaints and it has been reviewed several times but the 1993 plans are too expensive!

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
Elm Park, LB Havering. Designed to stop cyclists taking primary through the pinch point? Also cars have to cross onto the hatching to avoid having to make a sharp turn to miss the bollard
There is a similar one the other side, but that isn't so bad as there is usually a builders flat bed truck parked in it.

upload_2016-10-31_19-33-51.png

simon.r

Person
You can just about see the graffitied "door lane" paint under the cycle here:

IMG_2025.PNG

View attachment 149571 We have this complete mess. It was a classic 2 lane B road which was too busy to cycle unless you had a death wish, then the much needed village bypass was built so the council decided in their wisdom to make a cycle/traffic route. This road is now classed as a single track road with passing places.

Y
I cycle and run along the Moor Road a fair bit, and to be honest, I prefer the East Ren section with the markings compared to the North Ayrshire section, where the markings got removed. Can you guess which section sees me being given a wider berth?

boydj

Legendary Member
Click

Click

Yes I've cycled over it many times and I exaggerate a lot...

I wasn't aware of the second incident, but I was on a course at Jackton at the time of the first incident and the word was that the senior police officer had had a heart attack or similar which caused the crash.

All I can say is that my experience of the road is that it is a good one for cycling on and popular with club cyclists, judging by the number to be found in the Whitelees Wind Farm cafe every week-end.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Another tramline themed one from me, Shalesmoor roundabout. Notice how the curve of the road combined with the curve of the tracks makes for a very shallow angle where you cross them. If I ever ride this way I take the lane and ride in a zig-zag to try and make the angle as close to perpendicular. Sometimes earns me a honking but it's the safest way I think.
Screenshots_2016-10-31-20-26-21.png

Click

Click

Yes I've cycled over it many times and I exaggerate a lot...
As tragic as the first one is it happened in the village
I wasn't aware of the second incident, but I was on a course at Jackton at the time of the first incident and the word was that the senior police officer had had a heart attack or similar which caused the crash.

All I can say is that my experience of the road is that it is a good one for cycling on and popular with club cyclists, judging by the number to be found in the Whitelees Wind Farm cafe every week-end.
The stats say the 2010 rtc was in the village and nothing to do with the cycle lanes but the report says 0.5 east of the wind farm, which puts it at the cycle lane section :wacko: regardless though if it was an heart attack it had nothing to do with the cycle lanes.
Hopefully the lad survived in the 2nd but it appears it had nothing to do with a cycle lane either.
As much as I dislike them, I don't think they can be blamed and I doubt a cash strapped council would prioritise anything based on the accident (I hate that word) history :wacko:

GGJ

Veteran

There's been a couple more in recent years so I'll have a look and try and find them. Also a retired ex Jackton lad I cycle with was involved in a hit & run near Fenwick in February this year, the police know who it was but can't pin anything on the driver...yet. Needless to say there are a few cameras strapped to bikes now when we go out.

Yes the road is a lot safer than when I first rode it in the 60s, but it's still far from ideal and some sort of traffic calming could easily be introduced to make it a heck of a lot safer. The B764 is now classed as a 'local access road' so maybe it's time to close one end so that motorised vehicles cannot go through

Top Bottom