Show us your lights!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bauldbairn

FRONT - Two BSpoke(Smart) 0.5W single LED lights + 1 X Revolution 5 LED flasher!

REAR - Two BSpoke(Smart) 0.5W 3 LED lights + 1 X Revolution 5 LED(5 mode)flasher.

bauldbairn

Norm said:
But I splurged out on a little extravagance yesterday and got myself a Joystick to mount on my helmet (fnaar fnaar) and, holy moly, how fantastic is it having a lid-mounted light!
Anyone who rides at night should try a decent head / helmet-mounted light. Made the ride a gazillion times better, and I can justify the expense on safety alone if it stopped a side-swipe on it's first use. ;)

As an ex motorcyclist obsessed with "look backs" I was wondering - how do motorists react when you look over your shoulder with your "Joystick" - before turning right / changing lane / checking traffic etc?

Tharg2007

Veteran
bauldbairn said:
As an ex motorcyclist obsessed with "look backs" I was wondering - how do motorists react when you look over your shoulder with your "Joystick" - before turning right / changing lane / checking traffic etc?

their faces light up with joy ;)

Norm

bauldbairn said:
It alerts them in a way that they'd never get without the lid-light.

When I do a life-saver on the bike, I don't turn my head all the way round and look backwards, the head itself generally doesn't go much beyond 90 degrees with the eyes moving down and to the right to see behind you. At the point where I'm looking backwards, the light is shining onto the kerb opposite.

Any following motorist would see no more than a flash from the helmet light but it won't be pointing at them. They do seem to notice the beam direction moving, though, which gives them a clue that I might be doing something.

I have to add, though, that the only times I've used it have been on quiet country roads. I don't know how it would work in town when there were, potentially, more targets that I would need to avoid with the fairly powerful light from the Joystick.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Norm said:
I have to add, though, that the only times I've used it have been on quiet country roads. I don't know how it would work in town when there were, potentially, more targets that I would need to avoid with the fairly powerful light from the Joystick.

Out of town, I'd say excellent...

In town traffic, anything that bright at head height will be distracting to say the least. Essential on dark lanes though.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Norm said:
I don't have a picture to show, as I just have a single Exposure Enduro on the bars and a Smart 1/2W on the rear. Good quality kit, fairly basic in that I don't look like a Christmas Tree but they seem to do the trick.

But I splurged out on a little extravagance yesterday and got myself a Joystick to mount on my helmet (fnaar fnaar) and, holy moly, how fantastic is it having a lid-mounted light! Wherever I look, it was lit up! I had one car flick to main beam after seeing that I was a bike, who immediately dipped again as soon as I "looked" at him. There was a russling in a hedgerow as I passed, I looked to my left and saw the fox, clear as daylight. Best of all, two cars started to pull out of side turnings on me, both instantly stopped when I looked at them.

Anyone who rides at night should try a decent head / helmet-mounted light. Made the ride a gazillion times better, and I can justify the expense on safety alone if it stopped a side-swipe on it's first use. :blush:

If you feel like splurging a wee bit more you can go for the up grade kit, from the beam shots I would say that it worth it... :wacko:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
The joystick onna helmet works great in urban areas - this is where you're likely to have lots of side road+moton interactions, so also where you get the most benefit.

Norm

HJ said:
If you feel like splurging a wee bit more you can go for the up grade kit, from the beam shots I would say that it worth it... :wacko:
My LBS should be getting some in for me to lick inspect. :blush:

Mrs Norm has absolutely no interest in cycling (yeah, I know, but she has other attributes) so I was wary when I came home with the Joystick. However, by good fortune, I bought it on the same day that the kids' school had chosen for their fireworks.

As we got out of the car, the wife said "Bum, I forgot to bring a torch". There is no Fnaar-free way to write this but I gave her the Joystick.

She didn't say anything at the time but a few hours later, she said "Is this a new torch?" I 'fessed up that it was indeed and admitted how much it cost, expecting the worst. She shocked me to the core when she asked me to get one for her too! :biggrin:

I've got a head-strap on order. I think that it'll be better to have the Joystick strapped under the helmet (more Fnaar) than on top with the resulting potential for head injuries. Once I see how the Joystick sits on the strap, I'll make the choice between the RedEye and the Micro.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
The redeye micro is a nice rear light, fine if you have a proper rear light already. I would *STRONGLY* recommend the Redeye beast though, it's a really awesome rear light and hugely affects how drivers treat you when you need to take the lane through pinch points.

I wouldn't be worried about the head injury potential - I think when you see the Exposure mounting you'll see something of high quality that is well designed, and I don't think is likely to have a massive impact on your helmet's performance. It has a wide plastic base to spread any unlikely load, and would IMO snap off first in any impact. OTOH having a helmet light will probably have an order of magnitude more effect on upping your safety.

Norm

Indeed, good advice and good points well made. I've already used the Joystick with the helmet mount and I have one of the Smart 1/2 watt thingies which seems to do a pretty good job of getting me noticed. <<touch wood>>

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
The Smart is not much different from a cateye (*spits*) in comparison with the awesomeness that is the Redeye.

I have mine mounted on the top of my tailbox and connected to a 1 cell piggyback battery, btw.

bauldbairn

Tharg2007 said:
their faces light up with joy :becool:

Very Good! :biggrin:

Norm said:
It alerts them in a way that they'd never get without the lid-light.

Thanks Norm - always wondered about that one.

I was looking at a "Trout" modified "Magicshine HA-III SSC P7-C," "Troutlight" or something from "Niterider" to replace my bikes front lights - then fitting my BSpoke 0.5W light to my helmet(because it wasn't blinding).

Keep hearing the "Joystick" mentioned so will take a look at that as well.

Cheers! :becool:

PBancroft

Been meaning - and then forgetting - to do this for a while. Finally remembered on my way home last night. Apologies for the poor quality, it turns out my camera phone really isn't very good full stop, let alone in the dark.

Whilst taking this picture two cyclists stopped to check I was OK. :tongue: When was the last time a motorist did that? Of course, both times I lied... "Errr... just changing my batteries..."

Why I couldn't tell them I was taking a picture of my bike in the dark I don't know.

13756_213512823697_717708697_4112646_6667226_n.jpg

13756_213514363697_717708697_4112653_3792817_n.jpg

Top Bottom