Show us: your log burners and open fires

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Whether we like it or not,Woodburners are an environmental nightmare....

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...gas-heating-report?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Adam4868

Guru

Attachments

• IMG_20221207_204814874.jpg
    IMG_20221207_204814874.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 3

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I everything is environmental nightmare these days ! However you will need to drag my chainsaw and axe from my dead hands to stop me :laugh:

I don't use my chainsaw much these days, to big a saw 'kerf'. Instead I've got a cheap Bosch jigsaw (@£40) that copes very well with stuff up to 6 inch (with my long blade) and 4 inch (100mm) with the normal blades, much less wasteful.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I have one cat that loves heat and another that avoids it. The heatseeker smells as if he's been freshly ironed, he lies so close to the stove.

My uncle's cats used to sleep under the legs of the stove and more than once signed their fur, and once one of them jumped onto the stove and burnt his feet. Our cat doesn't like the stove nor the fire and usually leaves the room. Not sure if it's the heat or the noises which bother her

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I dunno, there's something therapeutic about smacking logs with an axe. You can pretend that they're the heads of all the people who have pissed you off... ^_^

Oh I used to think that aswell. But now I imagine those same people having their skulls crushed as my splitter goes for the kill!! I must be a closet psychopath. :eek: I'm sure James Bond faced a similar end (although he got away obviously).

Oh I used to think that aswell. But now I imagine those same people having their skulls crushed as my splitter goes for the kill!! I must be a closet psychopath. :eek: I'm sure James Bond faced a similar end (although he got away obviously).

You and I are birds of a feather, I think... :laugh:

I did look into getting a log splitter, but it was the space for it versus outlay versus time used and decided not to. I keep the really knotty stuff as "large lumps" that I'll to put on the fire* last thing at night when it's particularly nippy. Then they burn slowly all night, and it's easy to get the fire going again in the morning and the radiators (we've a back boiler here) don't get cold.

*open fire here, not a log burner.

I have got one of these:

View: https://youtu.be/2yApoITweJs

If you put the wedge near the edge of a piece of wood, not in the middle as the guy in the video does, it splits stuff more easily. (That's also what the instructions say to do).
I hold the logs still by means of a bungee cord wrapped round one leg of my work bench, and then around half a dozen or so pieces of log. That holds them still whilst you split the lot....

Top Bottom