Show us: your log burners and open fires

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Today is the 70th anniversary of the London Smogs that killed thousands and left countless others with long term health issues.

Just saying like. :okay:
They're not ideal in densely-populated areas, especially if people do awful things like banking them up overnight. They're not in the same league as bituminous coal, though. I often stayed in a cottage where the only heating was an open coal fire. Besides the smoke outside, everything indoors smelt of coal tar by the end of each holiday. At least you can generally burn wood with no smoke after initially lighting up.

They're not ideal in densely-populated areas, especially if people do awful things like banking them up overnight. They're not in the same league as bituminous coal, though. I often stayed in a cottage where the only heating was an open coal fire. Besides the smoke outside, everything indoors smelt of coal tar by the end of each holiday. At least you can generally burn wood with no smoke after initially lighting up.

That depends how it's done, and which pollutants you are referring to. Wood is low sulphur, but can be worse than coal for other emissions.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member

Adam4868

Guru
My cat literally telling me...."hurry up and light it" !

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221206-171446.png
    Screenshot_20221206-171446.png
    199 KB · Views: 3
Literally squeeks and puts her paws towards the fire.That will be her for the night aswell....can literally smell her fur burning when it gets going.I have to gently slide her away on the paper 😂

Madam Lexi will sit right next to the grate. :laugh: The number of times I've had to rescue her tail... :rolleyes:

Gillstay

Veteran
Just out of curiosity is it possible to tell one wood from another easily ?

We reinstated a fireplace and now have a log burner, planned a few years ago but covid put a 2 year delay...... It was originally for show but a few logs keeps the chill off the room and means we don't have to fire up the oil boiler.

The wood comes in dumpy bags from a local cumbrian supplier, seems to be a few types in the bag and wondered what was what?

You may also find you can soon recognise a few by scent if you try.

Top Bottom