Show us your..... Mudguards.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I am indeed! I could bend the stays for the mudguards, but that wouldn't help with the rack so I am going to do what someone else did and use a longer bolt on the left with spacers to push the hardware out beyond the disk brake calliper.
If you notice, mine have a sort of triple bend in them, so the angle where the stays attach to the guards themselves is the same on each side. I found it made for easier adjustment. Here's the rear:
20150816_115456.jpg

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
While everyone is waiting anxiously to see my mudguard-encrusted, CAADX, here's my Basso with its MKII Crud Roadracers. (I have changed the saddle since then for a Planet X Arione look-alike.)

Basso with new Crud Roadracer Mk IIs.jpg

Dyna-Tech 755Ti, during its days as a commuter/winter-bike (2010 - 2013, now just hanging up in the garage, debating whether to sell, or not)
Salmon 'Profil' - all that would fit with the biggest tyres that went under them; '20' section
The magnesium(?) spacers that held the stays into the p-clips corroded to dust. hence the cable-ties & bandage:blush:
Dyna-Tech 755Ti. 1.JPG

The Ribble, with SKS 'guards, as supplied/fitted to the bike, but with alternative mud-flaps, front & rear; http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/sks-raceblade-long-mudflap-prod31137/

Ribble. Road-Trip. 2013. Ferrybridge. 1.JPG Ribble. 3.JPG Ribble. 6.JPG

Venod

Eh up
What size are the tyres on that bike, and what size guards? I have bought the 45 mm guards and currently have 35 mm semislicks on my CAADX. I think I should just have enough clearance under the guards to fit studded tyres if I choose to

The tyres are Schwalbe Marathon Racer 30mm, I think the guards are 45mm, plenty of clearance, I have some Sammy Slicks 35mm on my other wheels and they just fit, but my stays could do to be a bit longer, as you are fitting new stays you can cut them to suit, I was comprimised as they came off another bike. I think you will be OK with slightly bigger tyres.

OP
OP
simon the viking

Saw the thread about you building the bike at the bottom ... it still looks fab......

Venod

Eh up
I am indeed! I could bend the stays for the mudguards, but that wouldn't help with the rack so I am going to do what someone else did and use a longer bolt on the left with spacers to push the hardware out beyond the disk brake calliper

While the long bolt is an easy solution it is one I would try and avoid. there will be alot of strain on the bolt when the mudguards rattle over bumps etc, this could lead to premature failure of the bolt, the mud guard stays are easy to bend and fashion a bracket for the rack.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
While the long bolt is an easy solution it is ome I would try and avoid. there will be alot of strain on the bolt when the mudguards rattle over bumps etc, this could lead to premature failure of the bolt, the mud guard stays are easy to bend and fashion a bracket for the rack.
I must have been thinking about this in my sleep because I woke up with the same thoughts! I am worried less about the strain caused by the mudguards, more by hanging a rack on the end of the long bolt. Also - I tried spreading the fixings on the rack to the required separation and it put the rack under more stress than I would feel happy with under load. (Those bits are aluminium and needed forcing outwards by a total of about an inch.)

I'll take my time and come up with a solution, probably based on finding a suitable piece of metal in my junk box or cellar. People laugh at the amount of old bits and pieces that I store, but it is amazing how often I can find suitable brackets, bolts etc. for this kind of job.

Top Bottom