Show us your..... Mudguards.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
While the long bolt is an easy solution it is ome I would try and avoid. there will be alot of strain on the bolt when the mudguards rattle over bumps etc, this could lead to premature failure of the bolt, the mud guard stays are easy to bend and fashion a bracket for the rack.
I must have been thinking about this in my sleep because I woke up with the same thoughts! I am worried less about the strain caused by the mudguards, more by hanging a rack on the end of the long bolt. Also - I tried spreading the fixings on the rack to the required separation and it put the rack under more stress than I would feel happy with under load. (Those bits are aluminium and needed forcing outwards by a total of about an inch.)

I'll take my time and come up with a solution, probably based on finding a suitable piece of metal in my junk box or cellar. People laugh at the amount of old bits and pieces that I store, but it is amazing how often I can find suitable brackets, bolts etc. for this kind of job.

I've got a set of Crud Road Racer Mk2 to put on, after looking at the installation video, got to admit I'm not looking forward to it!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've got a set of Crud Road Racer Mk2 to put on, after looking at the installation video, got to admit I'm not looking forward to it!
Providing that you have the necessary 4-5 mm of clearance, they are not too hard to fit but they take a bit of fiddling with to stop them making rubbing noises.

Make sure that you keep the undersides clean - I rode some muddy lanes which clogged mine up in just one ride. I always hose out any mud now when I get home. You could ride through a few puddles instead, but make sure that they are shallow ones, not water-filled cavernous potholes!

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
If you notice, mine have a sort of triple bend in them, so the angle where the stays attach to the guards themselves is the same on each side. I found it made for easier adjustment. Here's the rear:
View attachment 109250
that picture makes me feel so glad that i designed my Ti to have the discs inboard of the rear triangle on the chainstays. Then you dont have to use longer bolts and fugly bent stays

winjim

Smash the cistern
that picture makes me feel so glad that i designed my Ti to have the discs inboard of the rear triangle on the chainstays. Then you dont have to use longer bolts and fugly bent stays
Yeah, the newer CdFs are designed like that. Does it not restrict access to the brake caliper though?

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Yeah, the newer CdFs are designed like that. Does it not restrict access to the brake caliper though?
no not at all....once he caliper is set, nothing much needs doing as the adjustments are made via a 3mm allen key into the sides of the dis caliper. pretty easy really

Rafferty

Agreed, a bike with its very own chopping board/card table, love it :okay:
Thank you!

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
Real guards are steel....

awol2_zpsda8c2ea0.jpg

Top Bottom