Show us your..... Mudguards.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
DSC_0188.JPG
For the first time in over 35 years I now own a bike with mudguards:ohmy:.... (unfortunately fitted them to an existing bike not bought an N+1 winter bike......) they are Giant's own specifically for the Defy range and they fitted really easily and look neat (or as neat as mudguards can) in fact they are quite hard to spot.... almost stealth mudguards... I was expecting a logo though.....

I always said I wouldn't fit any on my bike but I was fed up with a wet a**e and wrapping my rear light in cling film... so here they are attached to the Defy2

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
The great thing about the defy is the defy mudguards - I am on my second set and I nearly bought a 3rd (missed out on an ebay auction - went for a tenner! Depending on how many miles you do a year, they should last - but they do start to fail after a while - the rivets work loose near the brakes, or just completely snap if you are unlucky. Will post mine in a sec.

Do Defy 'guards have some funny nonsense around the rear brake to make up for the lack of clearance? Close up?

OP
OP
simon the viking
Do Defy 'guards have some funny nonsense around the rear brake to make up for the lack of clearance? Close up?
Yes... they miss that bit out completely:angry: part of the reason of buying them was to protect the new black calipers I bought to replace the tarnished originals..... but hey ho my back will stay drier.....

DSC_0191.JPG

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
By 'Get them fitted' I meant 'Get round to fitting them' NOT 'Pay somebody to fit them'! :okay:

OP
OP
simon the viking
By 'Get them fitted' I meant 'Get round to fitting them' NOT 'Pay somebody to fit them'! :okay:
Funny you should say that.... Chap from lbs bought them over to me and was explaining how to fit them and I asked if he wanted to take the bike back with him.... He declined by saying he hates fitting mudguards.... So fitted myself took about 15 minutes.

ColinJ

Funny you should say that.... Chap from lbs bought them over to me and was explaining how to fit them and I asked if he wanted to take the bike back with him.... He declined by saying he hates fitting mudguards.... So fitted myself took about 15 minutes.
A friend used to work in a bike shop and has fitted many mudguards. I could probably get him to do them for me, but I think it is the sort of job that I should do for myself.

There will be 2 small problems ...
  1. I have to get the left rear stay to clear the disk brake calliper. (Same problem for the rack.)
  2. Cannondale put a vertical mounting hole on the bridge between the seat stays, but the rear mudguard has a clip which is designed to be attached horizontally by the fitting for a calliper brake. I will have to drill a suitable mounting hole through the guard. I will try bending the clip so it is flat against the quard to strengthen it where the mounting bolt hole is drilled, and I will use a washer to stop the bolt head pulling through the guard.

Venod

Eh up
Cannondale put a vertical mounting hole on the bridge between the seat stays, but the rear mudguard has a clip which is designed to be attached horizontally by the fitting for a calliper brake. I will have to drill a suitable mounting hole through the guard. I will try bending the clip so it is flat against the quard to strengthen it where the mounting bolt hole is drilled, and I will use a washer to stop the bolt head pulling through the guard.

The rear clip that is meant to fasten horizontally is long enough to be bent over at 90 degrees and attached vertically, you will need a longish bolt for the front fork.

ColinJ

Are you fitting them to one of these @ColinJ ? they are not even clearance all round as they came of another bike & the stays are only just long enough.

View attachment 109247 View attachment 109248
I am indeed! I could bend the stays for the mudguards, but that wouldn't help with the rack so I am going to do what someone else did and use a longer bolt on the left with spacers to push the hardware out beyond the disk brake calliper.

What size are the tyres on that bike, and what size guards? I have bought the 45 mm guards and currently have 35 mm semislicks on my CAADX. I think I should just have enough clearance under the guards to fit studded tyres if I choose to.

The rear clip that is meant to fasten horizontally is long enough to be bent over at 90 degrees and attached vertically, you will need a longish bolt for the front fork.
Did you bend it through 90 degrees and drill a hole through the rear guard for the bolt, or did you bolt it on and then attach the clip to the guard?

Venod

Eh up
Did you bend it through 90 degrees and drill a hole through the rear guard for the bolt, or did you bolt it on and then attach the clip to the guard?

The frame is threaded, bend the clip attach it to the guard then insert the screw from above, the bent part sits on top of the bridge.

Top Bottom