Show us your.......newbie progress!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Nigelnaturist
Thanks Bob, it should be.

RegG

Über Member
Me and my partner are progressing well, at least in our opinion! We have just completed our first 25 mile ride this morning - not a high mileage compared to many/most of you out there but at 62 (me) and 59 (she) we are very pleased. We are doing the 25 mile Great Notts bike Ride next weekend and are now confident we can do it without a problem.

OP
OP
Nigelnaturist
Me and my partner are progressing well, at least in our opinion! We have just completed our first 25 mile ride this morning - not a high mileage compared to many/most of you out there but at 62 (me) and 59 (she) we are very pleased. We are doing the 25 mile Great Notts bike Ride next weekend and are now confident we can do it without a problem.
Nice one, its more than I have done in a single ride this year.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Me and my partner are progressing wellout there but at 62 (me) and 59 (she) we are very pleased. We are doing the 25 mile Great Notts bike Ride next weekend and are now confident we , at least in our opinion! We have just completed our first 25 mile ride this morning - not a high mileage compared to many/most of you can do it without a problem.

@RegG

Don't be negative about the distance you have ridden. 25 miles is a decent length ride in most cyclist's books.

For sure there are plenty of cyclists who regularly ride much longer distances and plenty who ride much shorter routes.

I neither look up to those who ride further than me or down on those who do less. Ditto on the average speed front. Not everyone wants to spend hours and hours on a bike pushing their performance limits. Good on those that do but it really is not the be all and end all.

The important thing is you are out and exercising which is super-important esp' as we enter our 'Golden Years' - my age is under my avatar btw.

Here's a thing - when you are next in a car going for a modest drive then clock the first 25 miles - you'll notice that it is a pretty long distance. :okay:

You're both doing well and what's really nice is that you are doing it with each other - stick at it! :smile:

DaveGM

I think that's good going

Why? because I am also at the same stage where 25 miles has been my longest to date. Also similar age at 64. It didn't seem too far to ride on a nice sunny day, but as SpokeyDokey pointed out its actually quite a long way.

To me, the main thing is enjoying it and not feeling pressurised to do more than you want to.

OP
OP
Nigelnaturist
@RegG none needed, I had an eye test on the 22 of May, two days later I was at the eye clinic for tests, nine days later I had a Fluorescein angiography (dye in the blood to show up the blood vessels better) and two weeks later back for more tests and a diagnosis of non arteritic ischemic optic neuropathy or an optic nerve stroke, they don't think anything more serious is wrong, but need to go back for further tests just to check it is nothing more serious like a brain tumour ect..

Emmaroid

Well after never really doing any cycling in my life i've started cycling and am loving it. Been bought a Merida Reacto 400 which is damn sexy and am trying to build up my distances. Last night I went out and did 10 mile, Not far, I know but its a start! I found the main thing which made me want to stop wasnt my legs or being out of breath but the pressure felt on my wrists. This has been the case whichever bike I have ridden... Tell me my wrists will get used to it please!

EDIT: just searched and found some tips on a video to help my wrists so will try that the next time I ride :-)

Last edited:

RegG

Über Member
Well after never really doing any cycling in my life i've started cycling and am loving it. Been bought a Merida Reacto 400 which is damn sexy and am trying to build up my distances. Last night I went out and did 10 mile, Not far, I know but its a start! I found the main thing which made me want to stop wasnt my legs or being out of breath but the pressure felt on my wrists. This has been the case whichever bike I have ridden... Tell me my wrists will get used to it please!

EDIT: just searched and found some tips on a video to help my wrists so will try that the next time I ride :-)

Sounds like you are doing very well - keep it up and just go as far as you feel capable and don't worry about speed, its not about that. :bravo:

As for the wrists, are you gripping the bars too tightly? My partner had this problem to begin with as she was nervous of traffic and tended to cling to the bars. She is not so bad now but we also got some of these cycling mitts which have also helped as they have some padding in them. Could be worth trying....

https://www.evanscycles.com/altura-peloton-progel-mitt-EV227994

Smithbat

Getting there, one ride at a time.
I haven't posted in here in a while. I started again this year on a new bike taking 20 minutes to do my 2.5 mile commute, it now takes me between 13-15 minutes depending on traffic lights. I am also riding much further and longer just for fun so I took part in my first 25k (16 miles) cycle event on Sunday and I was really pleased that I did it in less than an hour and a half. My next aim is to do 20 miles in one ride, only 4 miles further so I am hoping to do that by end of July.

I have not lost that much weight but I have definitely toned up and my fitness is off the charts to what it was 3 months ago.

Smithbat

Getting there, one ride at a time.

As @RegG said, try wearing some padded gloves, they have helped me with pain in my hands and wrists no end. You can get a cheap pair in sports direct for about £7.

Top Bottom