Show us your Raleigh?!?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I think the frame 'geometry' plays a more important role, 30 odd years ago when I only had 1 bike (Carlton Clubman) I found I had a puncture one morning and cos I was running a touch late I borrowed my ex's Peugeot to get to work. It was horrible, twitchy and seemed slow despite it being a 531 frame. I don't think it was down to it being a different wheelbase either as I now own a Reynolds 653 'TT' bike that is really short but rides lovely and is very 'stable',

DSCN0058.JPG

A lot of people have said "Cor that's short' as it really is noticeably different to most bikes to the eye.

Oh and BTW the 'extender' on the handlebars is for a lamp set as I tended to ride it in the dark (after work) and it is a very 'fast' bike and I like to see where I'm going at the speed I was capable of doing on it.
Also I have no idea who made it as it had no decals/badges on it when I got the frame and it doesn't have a frame number or anything anywhere.

I'll bet you can't tell the difference between a 'high tensile' frame and a CrMo one when riding em. 3 of mine are 'basic' high tensile frames and they ride lovely, the 531c framed 'Road Ace' is just lighter.
Have always passed on "high tensile" frames when scouting for old bikes raleighnut but I respect/value your opinion.
Is there no practical difference at all between the materials? What sort of tubing/metal would you turn your nose up at?

I don't think it was down to it being a different wheelbase either as I now own a Reynolds 653 'TT' bike that is really short but rides lovely and is very 'stable',

View attachment 407995

Also I have no idea who made it as it had no decals/badges on it when I got the frame and it doesn't have a frame number or anything anywhere.

Nice bike. Odd that something made out of Reynolds 653 has no maker marks?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Have always passed on "high tensile" frames when scouting for old bikes raleighnut but I respect/value your opinion.
Is there no practical difference at all between the materials? What sort of tubing/metal would you turn your nose up at?
I'm not keen on my Aluminium framed bike and I wouldn't give tuppence for anything made of carbon. :angel:

As for different steel alloys the main difference is the stronger steel tubing can be drawn thinner and still have the same strength although some tubing can have problems with heat.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Nice bike. Odd that something made out of Reynolds 653 has no maker marks?
It probably had decals on when new, it is certainly built to a very high standard of craftsmanship, little details like the guide tube brazed into the top tube for the brake cable, the drain holes in the bottom bracket and the 'set in' seatstays.

DSCN0061.JPG

Nice lugs too.

EDIT - plus a very nice rear brake bridge.

This is my latest Raleigh . It is a Granada with Reynolds 531 butted tubes . I borrowed some wheels off another bike so that I could give it a test ride . It rides really well despite being heavier than my other bikes .
IMGP8318.JPG

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I do like a proper Raleigh, since I've ridden them from an early age. "Proper" to me means a Nottingham-built one, especially if it has a brazed Reynolds frame, so when this '91 model 501 Highlander came up at a too good to refuse price I had to indulge......
HIGHLANDER 21 CHURCHYARD TREE.jpg

HIGHLANDER 21 AT CHURCH DOOR (2).jpg

Initially thought it was a 23" with a "nutcracker" crossbar on account of the tall head tube, but it turned out to be a 21" sloper! Somewhat well-used and neglected, it needed some TLC to make it useable. I've been doing a lot of miles on this lately, my Pioneer hasn't even been out for over 3 weeks. The knobblys make it fairly hard work and pretty slow, so two hours/18 miles riding is like doing 25+ miles on the Pioneer, but it's fun on gravel and dirt and the frame has got good standover clearance. Very long reach though, long TT frame combined with a long stem. Saving grace is the tall HT means you can set the bars high enough to make the riding position fairly upright. BB has too much play, so a stripdown and regrease is next on the list to do. Not too enamoured with the 90s multi-colour livery, and the chainstay is rusty, so it really needs painting but I'm going to use as-is until I wear out the old tyres it came on, then take it apart completely and paint it a traditional single colour.

Last edited:
Top Bottom