Show us your Raleigh?!?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brucers

Guru
My 90's Dune Dancer, £22 off Ebay, changed some parts to give it a sort of cruiser look.

Dune car 001.JPG

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Looking back at this thread, my Raleigh has had a few alterations since the last pic I posted:

DSC0004434.jpg

The main change is the stem and handlebar, giving a lower, more sporty riding position which coincidentally happens to be more comfortable on a long ride.:okay: The B17 saddle has been replaced by a narrower Team Pro and the big chrome bell has been changed for a smaller Lion brass one mounted on the stem. Finally, as an experiment I've changed the grip shifters for some good quality old-school thumb shifters which I'm liking a lot.^_^

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Looking back at this thread, my Raleigh has had a few alterations since the last pic I posted:

View attachment 352297
The main change is the stem and handlebar, giving a lower, more sporty riding position which coincidentally happens to be more comfortable on a long ride.:okay: The B17 saddle has been replaced by a narrower Team Pro and the big chrome bell has been changed for a smaller Lion brass one mounted on the stem. Finally, as an experiment I've changed the grip shifters for some good quality old-school thumb shifters which I'm liking a lot.^_^
Nice. :becool: If I hadn't had the Ridgeback (which looks very similar) for years I'd build a Raleigh like that up.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
My 531c Raleigh Road Ace, nowhere near standard but I built it up from a frame I was given (by Simon at Cyclemagic) I dragged it out of the shed for something else and took a few pics before it went back in.

DSCN0129.JPG
DSCN0136.JPG

Note proper riveted headbadge,

It also has a rather tasty Brooks on it.

DSCN0134.JPG

2004 Brooks Swallow Limited Edition Titanium, one of 999 ever made (and with a certificate of authenticity)

Dan B

Disengaged member
I was looking for the "bike in a kitchen" thread but found this one first. Head badge says it's a Raleigh, model name I don't know, today added new 25mm tyres in red and gave the mudguards the first clean they've had in a very long time

It's definitely ... red. Needs new bar tape, I know. It's in the cupboard waiting for a tuit
IMG_20180201_011934.jpg

tyred

Legendary Member
My 1971 Raleigh Twenty. One of the Dublin built models, it has been in the family since new - passed around various older cousins and siblings until it came to me. I rode it a lot in my early teens and then it sat languishing in the coal shed at home until I gave it a re-paint and a little spruce up about ten years ago.
5241161338_f8c8306f3e_o.jpg

https://flic.kr/p/8Z9jEE
10400001485_fc061707f2_o.jpg
My slightly tatty but completely original 1958 Trent Sport with 4 speed Cyclo gearing

tyred

Legendary Member
@tyred I like the old original Trent sport.

Thank you. It's actually one of my favourite bikes to ride but the gearing is crazy with a 48 chainring and 14-16-18-20 block which isn't ideal where I live. If it wasn't so original I'd stick a Sturmey in it.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
My latest secondhand bargain, and I'm well pleased with it. In a moment of complete financial abandon, I splashed out £20 on this rather unusual 1988/89 vintage Gemini 18, Raleigh's earliest attempt at producing a Hybrid model and clearly the ancestor of the Pioneer range . It was pretty grubby as acquired, so I took it to work and gave it a clean up.
Gemini 18 Nearside .jpg
Gemini 18 Offside (2).jpg

Despite it's age, I don't think it's had a lot of use. It certainly hasn't had a hard life. Both the tyres appear to still be original, the stem wasn't seized in the headset, and when I loosened the nice light alloy seatpost, not only did it slide out freely but it still had a load of fresh looking grease smeared on it - which I assume was applied at the Factory!
Couldn't resist giving it a try so I did a few low-speed circuits of the private road that runs round the site. Front brake is slack, and the front mech also needs a tweak, but the rear gears all engage fine. My first impression is what a nice bike! The Reynolds 531 frame is so light and feels really stable yet responsive to ride. It's many years since I've ridden a 531 bike and I'd half forgotten just how nice they are compared to a cheaper and much heavier high tensile frame. Worth every penny I paid for it and a lot more besides.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I was looking for the "bike in a kitchen" thread but found this one first. Head badge says it's a Raleigh, model name I don't know, today added new 25mm tyres in red and gave the mudguards the first clean they've had in a very long time

It's definitely ... red. Needs new bar tape, I know. It's in the cupboard waiting for a tuit View attachment 394076
If that's a 501 sticker on the downtube, then it looks a lot like my old Raleigh Criterium: -
32929874481_f2bba1094d_z-jpg.jpg

If it is then you are looking at around 1985 build date :smile:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
My latest secondhand bargain, and I'm well pleased with it. In a moment of complete financial abandon, I splashed out £20 on this rather unusual 1988/89 vintage Gemini 18, Raleigh's earliest attempt at producing a Hybrid model and clearly the ancestor of the Pioneer range . It was pretty grubby as acquired, so I took it to work and gave it a clean up.
View attachment 399480 View attachment 399481

Despite it's age, I don't think it's had a lot of use. It certainly hasn't had a hard life. Both the tyres appear to still be original, the stem wasn't seized in the headset, and when I loosened the nice light alloy seatpost, not only did it slide out freely but it still had a load of fresh looking grease smeared on it - which I assume was applied at the Factory!
Couldn't resist giving it a try so I did a few low-speed circuits of the private road that runs round the site. Front brake is slack, and the front mech also needs a tweak, but the rear gears all engage fine. My first impression is what a nice bike! The Reynolds 531 frame is so light and feels really stable yet responsive to ride. It's many years since I've ridden a 531 bike and I'd half forgotten just how nice they are compared to a cheaper and much heavier high tensile frame. Worth every penny I paid for it and a lot more besides.
Very nice :becool:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Very nice :becool:

I'm certainly very pleased with it. Both me and the seller were equally surprised it didn't attract more interest. It seems most people these days would rather buy a brand new cheapo Far-East import than a quality secondhand British bike. Their loss, my gain! I've got a lot of respect for the Raleighs built back in the 80s and 90's, you can expect these sort of bikes to last a lifetime if treated properly. Frame size is somewhat unusual at 22 1/2" but it fits fine - albeit the seatpost is right on the safety limit line as I've got long legs. I might swap it for the steel one on my Pioneer Trail, which is marginally longer but doesn't need to be as long as the frame on that is 23 1/2" New Schwalbes are on the "things to do" list to keep the p*ncture fairy away, as this is the sort of bike I'll ride further afield than just a couple of miles - so I don't want any nasty surprises..

Top Bottom