Show us your steel.....its real...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BorderReiver

Veteran
I like that! Must be quite stiff; those tubes look very chunky. I suppose we're more used to seeing skinny tubes on steel bikes.

I haven't actually ridden it yet! No way I'm taking it out on gritted roads, might have to wait a few months. The tubing is, and I quote, "Columbus Spirit HSS Niobium Steel Tube Set". Which is a bit more of a mouthful, and probably a bit more advanced, than the "531c" of my youth.

steve50

Disenchanted Member
I haven't actually ridden it yet! No way I'm taking it out on gritted roads, might have to wait a few months. The tubing is, and I quote, "Columbus Spirit HSS Niobium Steel Tube Set". Which is a bit more of a mouthful, and probably a bit more advanced, than the "531c" of my youth.
http://www.columbustubi.com/eng/3_3.htm
NIOBIUM

It’s a special micro alloyed steel with Manganese, Chrome, Nickel, Molybdenum and Niobium. In the Columbus research and development tradition it can be considered the evolution from of the Thermacrom and Nivacrom alloy. It’s designed to provide better mechanical properties and greater resistance to atmospheric corrosion than conventional carbon steels. For every top-of-the-line and competition frames where lightness and high reliability are fundamental. Like Vanadium in Thermacrom steel, Niobium increases yield strength by precipitation hardening and acts for refinement of grain size.

RedRider

Pulling through
It's time to break out the champagne...
$_3 (3).JPG

$_3.JPG

I came home with this 40-year-old Dutch girl tonight. A Gazelle champion mondial A-frame I believe, with the all important mudguard eyelets. I'm planning a fixed build

RedRider

Pulling through
I've been posting this against walls, in the single speed and even the 'get better' srw threads so apologies but...
Oh my, it's a joy to ride...
IMAG1442_1_1.jpg
I know not everyone's a fan of the fixed conversion (@raleighnut ) but i think this frame suits with its 120mm backside and a scarcity of braze ons. One day it might get some appropriate gears strapped to it but for now it's stripped down
It's a 1976 Gazelle Champion Mondial A frame and no-one else bid for it on eBay.
There's some details like the butterfly seatstay bridge... IMAG1439_1.jpg

And the rourkeish-ish wrapover (@FabFoodie)...
$_3.JPG
There's just enough room between the chainstays for 28mm tyres and close fitting full mudguards and it has the eyelets and everything.
I don't always get excited by fonts but I love this decal...
IMAG1433_1.jpg

I'll stop going on about it now but as you can tell I'm made up with the thing. I've spent the last few days tweaking the position and today it felt so good. Fixed flies up the inclines, I'd almost forgotten.

Last edited:
@RedRider

lovely bike, the colour is great close up.

Here's a picture of my new bike. A 2017 Genesis Equilibrium Disc 20. My LBS was going a black friday deal and it was enough to tempt me to take the plunge. First ride out yesterday, and it just felt "right". Supremely comfortable and smooth with the steel and the 28mm tyres. I bought it as a winter bike and long distance machine. But I feel my Aithein won't get a look in next year.

Attachments

• IMAG1164.jpg
    IMAG1164.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 50
Here's a picture of my new bike. A 2017 Genesis Equilibrium Disc 20. My LBS was going a black friday deal and it was enough to tempt me to take the plunge. First ride out yesterday, and it just felt "right". Supremely comfortable and smooth with the steel and the 28mm tyres. I bought it as a winter bike and long distance machine. But I feel my Aithein won't get a look in next year.

I like the way genesis just keep getting better, my three year old equilibrium 20 is great but wow, that looks amazing

Enjoy

Ridgeback 502, late 90s.

Frame cost me £30 with not much else, not even wheels.

A couple of servicable bits went to spares box/to post finance frame.

Rest of bits are from my Cannondale which some folk may remember from the rides I led (list price £1,500) plus cheap nice stuff from Spa Cycles and Chain Reaction.

Just needs SKS mudguards sourced from Decathlon for £12.50 to be added.

Will last far longer than the aluminium 'Dale would have done.

Feels solid as a rock.

And comfortable.

edit - zip ties feeding cable to rear V brake (front is magura hydraulic salvaged from 'dale) have since been replaced by neat metal retro clips.

Last edited:
Top Bottom