1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Show us your steel.....its real...

Discussion in 'Photo Gallery' started by Cooperman, 24 Sep 2008.

1. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

Nice :becool:...................................apart from the fixed plans, sorry but not a fan:thumbsdown:

RedRider likes this.
  2. RedRider

RedRider Pulling through

I know what you mean but I need my single speed fix. Let's see how it develops after this winter...

3. biggs682

biggs682 Smile a mile bike provider

Our family turbo training bike actually being ridden after sitting astride the turbo trainer for 18 months unused.

Its a Trek t10 navigator.. WP_20161115_002.jpg

4. RedRider

RedRider Pulling through

I've been posting this against walls, in the single speed and even the 'get better' srw threads so apologies but...
    Oh my, it's a joy to ride...
    IMAG1442_1_1.jpg
    I know not everyone's a fan of the fixed conversion (@raleighnut ) but i think this frame suits with its 120mm backside and a scarcity of braze ons. One day it might get some appropriate gears strapped to it but for now it's stripped down
    It's a 1976 Gazelle Champion Mondial A frame and no-one else bid for it on eBay.
    There's some details like the butterfly seatstay bridge... IMAG1439_1.jpg

And the rourkeish-ish wrapover (@FabFoodie)...
    $_3.JPG
    There's just enough room between the chainstays for 28mm tyres and close fitting full mudguards and it has the eyelets and everything.
    I don't always get excited by fonts but I love this decal...
    IMAG1433_1.jpg

I'll stop going on about it now but as you can tell I'm made up with the thing. I've spent the last few days tweaking the position and today it felt so good. Fixed flies up the inclines, I'd almost forgotten.

Last edited: 4 Dec 2016
    Fab Foodie, R600, sackville d and 6 others like this.
  5. uphillstruggler

uphillstruggler Über Member

@RedRider

lovely bike, the colour is great close up.

RedRider likes this.
  6. Wordsworth30

Wordsworth30 Active Member

Here's a picture of my new bike. A 2017 Genesis Equilibrium Disc 20. My LBS was going a black friday deal and it was enough to tempt me to take the plunge. First ride out yesterday, and it just felt "right". Supremely comfortable and smooth with the steel and the 28mm tyres. I bought it as a winter bike and long distance machine. But I feel my Aithein won't get a look in next year.

Attached Files:

Fab Foodie, RedRider, mjr and 5 others like this.
  7. uphillstruggler

uphillstruggler Über Member

I like the way genesis just keep getting better, my three year old equilibrium 20 is great but wow, that looks amazing

Enjoy

8. Blue Hills

Blue Hills Veteran

Ridgeback 502, late 90s.

Frame cost me £30 with not much else, not even wheels.

A couple of servicable bits went to spares box/to post finance frame.

Rest of bits are from my Cannondale which some folk may remember from the rides I led (list price £1,500) plus cheap nice stuff from Spa Cycles and Chain Reaction.

Just needs SKS mudguards sourced from Decathlon for £12.50 to be added.

Will last far longer than the aluminium 'Dale would have done.

Feels solid as a rock.

And comfortable.

edit - zip ties feeding cable to rear V brake (front is magura hydraulic salvaged from 'dale) have since been replaced by neat metal retro clips.

Last edited: 5 Dec 2016
  9. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

10. dim

dim Guest

11. Blue Hills

Blue Hills Veteran

Nice. Nice looking guards, but do they have a safety release at the front? I have seen some cool looking metal ones which don't.

raleighnut likes this.
  12. dim

dim Guest

thanks .... they are the Velo Orange Stainless Steel. Not sure what you mean about a safety release? .... they are bolted on (the surly has 2 additional places/lugs to bolt mudguards or a front rack etc .... i.e. I don't need to unbolt the mudguards if I need to take the wheel off)

13. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

If you'd ever had something either stuck in the tyre (a stick with a thorn) or caught in the wheel that collapsed the mudguard into the back of the forks and instantly locked the front wheel you would understand.

14. Blue Hills

Blue Hills Veteran

I mean a fixing arrangement which, like SKS guards, will release if something gets stuck between your guards and the wheel/tyre - like a twig. If they don't, your wheel could jam and it doesn't take a great deal of imagination to visualise whar will then happen to you in relation to your front handlebars. I was on a ride a while ago with someone else on a surly who had cool looking metal guards which, after a short look, I worried about.

This might seem liike overfussy nitpicking but I well remember about 20 years ago, when I got back into cycling, being perturbed/p'ed off to find that when cycling along a track my front guards seemed to have detached themselves. Sod it I thought, then took a closer look and figured that my shop-fitted SKS guards had probably saved me from something worse than the minor inconvenience of popping the fittings back in.

raleighnut likes this.
  15. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

That's why I have those 'flinger' mudguards on the Ridgeback, they only clip on to a fitting on the fork at the top so if anything gets stuck the whole thing ejects from the bike. (and yes I have had a mudguard crumple and lock the wheel, not something I'd like to repeat)

Blue Hills likes this.