Show us your steel.....its real...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Hi to you all out there. Having shown you my totally refurbished Benotto Modelo 850 on the 27th September 2016 I can now reveal my other steed - my recently finished and equally refurbished Steve Goff frame which like my Benotto is also of Columbus tubing albeit of three different grades - hence the Designer Select on the front end of the top-tube.

The frame was totally stripped and re-stove enameled in a very nice Flamboyant Blue and fitted with new Chromed forks.
View attachment 340217 View attachment 340218 View attachment 340219 View attachment 340220
OMG! Beautiful....

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I've been posting this against walls, in the single speed and even the 'get better' srw threads so apologies but...
Oh my, it's a joy to ride...
View attachment 152872
I know not everyone's a fan of the fixed conversion (@raleighnut ) but i think this frame suits with its 120mm backside and a scarcity of braze ons. One day it might get some appropriate gears strapped to it but for now it's stripped down
It's a 1976 Gazelle Champion Mondial A frame and no-one else bid for it on eBay.
There's some details like the butterfly seatstay bridge... View attachment 152873

And the rourkeish-ish wrapover (@FabFoodie)...
View attachment 152874
There's just enough room between the chainstays for 28mm tyres and close fitting full mudguards and it has the eyelets and everything.
I don't always get excited by fonts but I love this decal...
View attachment 152875

I'll stop going on about it now but as you can tell I'm made up with the thing. I've spent the last few days tweaking the position and today it felt so good. Fixed flies up the inclines, I'd almost forgotten.
I for one love it!

NeilM

This is my latest build, it's a bit of a rarity, a Dave Lloyd Quantum 650 from 1996.

I still have some work to do, but it's getting there.

B7_zpsnu7gqmz9.jpg

This is my latest build, it's a bit of a rarity, a Dave Lloyd Quantum 650 from 1996.

View attachment 341023

Hi Neil. I was unaware that the rather unusual line of the fork legs to the steerer tube went back to 1996. I thought that of was something of a new fad and seen first on the Grand Tour bikes from a few years back.
I am much more of a traditionalist build man myself as can be seen on the forum with both my Benotto and more latterly my Steve Goff steeds.

NeilM

The forks are not original I'm afraid. The original forks were curved and made of titanium, they have long since gone. As the wheels are 650C fork choice is limited, so the BLB straight legs will get me on the road until I can find something a little more traditional.

That said the geometry does not appear to be massively altered from the original.

DL%201_zpsk44w1if7.jpg

View attachment 341023
Ok, give in, but maybe it's my dodgy eyes, how is that bike standing up Neil?

NeilM

You're all right. There is a camo alloy arrow shaft holding the bike up, the nock is round one of the spokes and it is held in place by the bike trying to roll forward slightly and the shaft being held against the seat stay.

Wow, that was a lot of words to say, theres a stick jammed in the back wheel.

Rooster, cute CAAD. I had no idea the Quantum 650 existed until a friend sent me that little colour brochure, and then I spotted the frame on ebay, how spooky is that! As can be seen, the bike is not photographed on the flat and was angled slightly towards me, it was blowing a gale and the rain started just as I got the bike set up, so I'll get some better pictures after a little more work has been done.

Rooster, cute CAAD.

Hi again Neil. Yes it certainly was and a fabulous little bike to ride,light and frisky albeit a little of a bumpy ride compared to my other bikes that were on 700C's.
It was amazingly lightweight considering the stoutness of the down-tube.
The one thing that I could not get my head around was the action of those silly Shimano levers but I guess I should have just changed the them along with possibly the rear dérailleur.

Top Bottom