Show us your steel.....its real...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
here is my latest a 60's Soens acquired from @Tony Smith last week , just had its maiden 20 minute test ride

soens2.jpg

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
Sorry, but I'm going to have to post this here too!
DSC_0171_zps071a5531.jpg

Build thread here
http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/building-my-surly.162280/#post-3252143

Pics ? Come on!
Well here she is. What started out as being a sympathetic and low cost resto ending up becoming a needs must do whatever it takes to make it useful resto/conversion!

From front to back we have:

Midge On-One bars in gold to mimic the original gold bars. Thanks to @biggs682 for that deal :thumbsup: (original bars were far to narrow for me).

105 SPD-SL pedals. Re-cycled and refurbished off my lads bike :whistle:

New seatpost from Decathlon. (the stock one was too short and very heavily scratched).

San Marco Ponzi saddle. (original saddle was battered)

105 8 Speed rear mech. Thanks to @Martin Archer for the deal :thumbsup: (original rear mech was FUBAR).

I received a couple of front mechs to help the project along from @cosmicbike @toeknee & @Martin Archer, but sadly I couldn't use them due to either fitment issues or I simply couldn't get them to work correctly, I'll hold onto them and pay it forward in the same way when someone else needs a helping hand though :cheers:. So I've stuck with the orignal Sach Huret front mech, it's as simple as they come but it works faultlessly so it can stay. My OCD for having matching components will just have to go and *uck itself ^_^

Rose Xtreme Airline/Tiagra wheelset. (frame has been cold set to accept these modern wheels, so it's future proofed as well :smile:)

Schwalbe Lugano tyres. Cheap enough yet well regarded :thumbsup:

The frameset has also been Waxoyled internally to hopefully ensure it's good for many more years, and all the inner cables have been replaced along with the BB and brake pads.

Only things left to do are change the cassette, fit a new chain, (both ordered yesterday from CRC), and I'll be putting some guards on for the winter, (Tortec Reflectives @ £25 from Geoff Smith Cycles). I might fit new decals at some point, but I'm struggling to bring myself to pay £18 for a set TBH :whistle:

20140830_125414.jpg 20140830_125507.jpg 20140830_125558.jpg
20140830_125432.jpg 20140830_125455.jpg 20140830_125501.jpg 20140830_125519.jpg 20140830_125550.jpg

I hope it gets well received, but at the end of the day I'm happy with it regardless. I would have liked to keep it all original but it just wasn't practical to do so, and I'd rather have it in a usable condition that suits both me and my local terrain than just sitting as an ornament :thumbsup:

pumpadave

Here's my early 90's scott afd 502 gifted to me from my LBS, still on it's original RX100 groupset

WP_20140907_001.jpg

Big_Dave

The unlikely Cyclist
I bit the bullet with my old Raleigh Kellogg's Pro Tour and converted it to a 3x10 (from a 3x8) yesterday, I've not ridden it for a couple of months and though I'd give it a decent casual ride out today on one of my usual routes that I ride on my carrera tdf, I had forgotten just how well the Raleigh rides, I broke quite a lot of my PR's along the route. The 10 gears on the rear made it a real pleasure to ride :wahhey:

Greenhouse

image.jpg
I have Weinmann pads or are you saying to change the calliper ? I like the brake as it's nice and small :smile: and it is only there for emergencys as the only reason I fell in love with fixed geared bikes is the stopping fun and just being able to bomb around

Top Bottom