1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Show us your Titanium....

Discussion in 'Photo Gallery' started by potnoodle, 3 Jun 2010.

1. Foghat

Foghat Veteran

This is the latest addition to the commuting stable: a Spa Ti Tourer frame built up with Columbus Tusk Trekking fork and mainly components from the Roberts commuter, which has had various items from old racing machines installed in their place. Has a few new bits, such as the Shimano CX70 cantilever brakes, which are very powerful compared with some cantilevers - nearly as good as the latest Shimano dual-pivots if using New Super SLR pull ratio levers.

Hefty tyre clearance was the main rationale for this, for optimal winter tyre selection, plus a paint-free, corrosion-resistant frame. I contemplated going disc-braked but, having 6 pairs of quality 10-speed wheels to wear out after going 11-speed on various other bikes, I decided on the Spa which can ultimately become a second (lighter) touring bike when I do eventually go disc for commuting.

So with winter here, I now have the following tyred wheelsets all ready and waiting for immediate swap-in when required, depending on conditions:
    1. Continental Gator Hardshell 32mm - actually 30mm; general spring/autumn/winter tyre, and best for hedge-cutting season.
    2. Continental Top Contact II 28mm - nice tough, grip-like-buggery touring tyre with excellent tread, chosen when the roads get covered in mud and gravel, which is often on Cotswoldian lanes, and when leaf fall gets bad
    3. Continental Top Contact II Winter Premium 37mm - actually 31mm wide and 33mm tall; special winter compound tyre, good for frosty and quite-icy-but-not-too-much conditions
    4. Schwalbe Winter 30mm - studded, and best for snow and severe ice, but monumentally slow and hard work (adds at least 15 minutes to each one-way commute)
    In 'summer', the Top Contact II Winter Premium tyres get replaced with '32mm' Continental Gatorskins and the Schwalbe Winter studded wheels get consigned to the loft. I don't like to go lighter or less robust than a Gatorskin when commuting, even in summer, and opt for good tough fit-for-purpose tyres the rest of the year, as punctures on an unlit and at times remote 20-rural-miles-each-way-five-days-a-week commute are not an option.

tn_IMG_2536 -.jpg tn_IMG_2540.JPG tn_IMG_2541.JPG tn_IMG_2546.JPG tn_IMG_2547.JPG tn_IMG_2554.JPG tn_IMG_2555.JPG tn_IMG_2557.JPG tn_IMG_2558.JPG tn_IMG_2539.JPG

Last edited: 4 Nov 2016
    gareth01244, dan_bo, dim and 15 others like this.
  2. stumpy66

stumpy66 Über Member

IMG_0966.JPG Lynskey Viale disc

dim, StuAff, Toshiba Boy and 6 others like this.
  3. GGJ

GGJ Über Member

No Titanium, will stainless steel do?

IMG_0452.jpg

dim, bonsaibilly, john59 and 2 others like this.
  4. jowwy

jowwy The bearded Powerhouse

No......put it in the steel thread

5. Rustybucket

Rustybucket Über Member

My next bike is going to be Titanium, might have to wait 3 years until I can afford it thou!

6. Shadow

Shadow Über Member

It will be worth waiting for - you wont be disappointed!

Rustybucket likes this.
  7. Rustybucket

Rustybucket Über Member

8. simon.r

simon.r Person

9. My all new Wittson Custom Ti Cycles.

wittson-custom-road-30702_2.jpg

wittson-custom-ti-road-30702_11.jpg

wittson-custom-ti-road-30702_10.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: 23 Nov 2016
    topcat1, bonsaibilly, StuAff and 5 others like this.
  10. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah

Very nice.
    Can you please do and post a plain side on shot, so we can get a good look at your lovely bike.
    Thanks

11. Thanks! here's a plain side shot ;)

wittson-custom-road-30702_3.jpg

12. KEEF

KEEF Über Member

13. Afnug

Afnug Yining & Yanging but mostly Yanging

The Boardman Titanium SLR 9.4, not mine but thought it deserved a viewing on here.

409-BI_SLR_EDT_9.4_Drive.jpg

14. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah

The forks look wrong for the bike. And painted Ti. No no no.

Toshiba Boy and Shadow like this.
  15. Houthakker

Houthakker Senior Member

Love the look of these Ti frames, but they all seem to have (I assume) carbon forks which seem at odds with the frame. Showing my ignorance now, but can you not get Ti forks? Is it not a good material for the stresses for a fork?