Show us your Titanium....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I see what you mean, I prefer my Ti raw also, but I know not everybody agrees.
Indeed. Each to their own and all that. But I am of the thinking that if you are going to the expense of buying a frame material that is best shown in its raw state then painting it is superfluous.

Indeed. Each to their own and all that. But I am of the thinking that if you are going to the expense of buying a frame material that is best shown in its raw state then painting it is superfluous.

That is a self sustaining argument though and an opinion only, and as such is not worth any more than your initial "each to their own".

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
This is the latest addition to the commuting stable: a Spa Ti Tourer frame built up with Columbus Tusk Trekking fork and mainly components from the Roberts commuter, which has had various items from old racing machines installed in their place. Has a few new bits, such as the Shimano CX70 cantilever brakes, which are very powerful compared with some cantilevers - nearly as good as the latest Shimano dual-pivots if using New Super SLR pull ratio levers.

Hefty tyre clearance was the main rationale for this, for optimal winter tyre selection, plus a paint-free, corrosion-resistant frame. I contemplated going disc-braked but, having 6 pairs of quality 10-speed wheels to wear out after going 11-speed on various other bikes, I decided on the Spa which can ultimately become a second (lighter) touring bike when I do eventually go disc for commuting.

So with winter here, I now have the following tyred wheelsets all ready and waiting for immediate swap-in when required, depending on conditions:
  1. Continental Gator Hardshell 32mm - actually 30mm; general spring/autumn/winter tyre, and best for hedge-cutting season.
  2. Continental Top Contact II 28mm - nice tough, grip-like-buggery touring tyre with excellent tread, chosen when the roads get covered in mud and gravel, which is often on Cotswoldian lanes, and when leaf fall gets bad
  3. Continental Top Contact II Winter Premium 37mm - actually 31mm wide and 33mm tall; special winter compound tyre, good for frosty and quite-icy-but-not-too-much conditions
  4. Schwalbe Winter 30mm - studded, and best for snow and severe ice, but monumentally slow and hard work (adds at least 15 minutes to each one-way commute)
In 'summer', the Top Contact II Winter Premium tyres get replaced with '32mm' Continental Gatorskins and the Schwalbe Winter studded wheels get consigned to the loft. I don't like to go lighter or less robust than a Gatorskin when commuting, even in summer, and opt for good tough fit-for-purpose tyres the rest of the year, as punctures on an unlit and at times remote 20-rural-miles-each-way-five-days-a-week commute are not an option.

View attachment 150168 View attachment 150169 View attachment 150170 View attachment 150171 View attachment 150172 View attachment 150173 View attachment 150174 View attachment 150175 View attachment 150176 View attachment 150177
That has cross racer written all over it. Lush.

You can get Ti forks but most of the bikes come with Carbon jobbies. Ti forks are much more expensive. So it's mainly to keep the price down on what is already a hefty purchase in most cases.
I have been looking at Ti forks myself. Burls do a very nice set.
largeForks.jpg

This one here made my jaw drop... As pretty much anything that the guys at Wittson put out ;)

14976787_1536626269697519_4902095601499787222_o.jpg

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Some stunning bikes on here. If only I could stop wasting my money and finally buy something as beautiful.

Do it.

Yeah, do it, buy a frame set and do it gradually, saves you a few quid and you then get the bike spec that suits you and your wallet
Just bought another bike last Autumn so it'll be a good while till I can convince the wife I need yet another one! I'll have to make do with perving over them on this thread but It'll come eventually though.

Last edited:

gareth01244

Veteran
Anyone have an opinion on the charge plug titanium frame? Have spotted it on sale at £799 , the complete bike sells at £2500 so i reckon I could build it up for far far less.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Anyone have an opinion on the charge plug titanium frame? Have spotted it on sale at £799 , the complete bike sells at £2500 so i reckon I could build it up for far far less.

Just had a look. £799 at Triton Cycles right?
If so, it ticks all the right boxes for the price.
Features:
  • Double butted 3:2.5 AL titanium
  • Laser cut dropout
  • Disc brake specific
  • Compatible with larger volume tyres up to 42c
  • Seat clamp and headset included
  • Rack and mudguard mounts
It doesn't come with forks.
The rear disc brake mounts are on the chain stay so will be easy to add mudguards and pannier rack.

It looks rather industrial, in that I mean the frame looks like it has bigger tubes then normal. But that aint no bad thing. The graphics are crap (normal for Ti bikes) but are probably transfers so can be taken off.
In fact if they had a medium in stock I would be sorely tempted to buy for for a commuter/touring bike and make up myself.

Look out for bargain components to build it up with and yes you would have a bargain.

Last edited:
Top Bottom