Show us your Titanium....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
How many do you need?
I'll probably stop at five - mainly due to storage space.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
how do they differ?
There's a couple of Van Nicholas Ventus - one which is the 'good' bike kitted out with Campag Zonda wheels, declas removed and a few bling bits such as Chris King headset. Decently rapid & comfortable, even when powered by this knackered, middle aged rider.
Van Nicholas Best - May 2020 (3).JPG
Then there's the Ventus SE picked up cheap on clearance direct from Van Nicholas which is set up as the main commuter. Slightly harsher ride than the other one due to the more robust wheel & tyre combination and slower due to the added weight of all the other bits.
Van Nicholas Commuter - Updated July 2021 (1).JPG

Next is the Spa Elan - the one with the Ti seatpost - and a really comfortable, if slower, do it all bike with a bit of light off-road capability.
Spa Elan - Updated March 2021 (1).JPG
And finally the On-One Pickenflick based flat bar. Frame & forks picked up on clearance (again) and initially set up with lightweight wheels & 28mm tyres, but looked silly with the amount of clearance on the forks & frame. So I fitted it up with sturdier wheels & 35mm tyres and it's not much slower and more useable both on and off road while looking much better. Still tempted to turn this into a 1x with a wider range cassette & swapping to a long cage derailleur from another bike.
Pickenflick - Updated March 2021 (1).JPG

On order and expected to be delivered sometime in January is a Planet X Hurricane which I'm hoping will be a combination of the comfort of the Elan and the speed of the 'good' Ventus.

Milzy

Guru
Blimey. That's a lot of titanium. If there's ever a shortage we know who's responsible.
In the real world they are all almost the same bike apart from two are rim brakes & 2 are disc. One has flat bars. You could sell two & have one amazing road bike & one amazing gravel bike. Only if you wanted to of course :smile:

Gunk

Guru
In the real world they are all almost the same bike apart from two are rim brakes & 2 are disc. One has flat bars. You could sell two & have one amazing road bike & one amazing gravel bike. Only if you wanted to of course :smile:

I’ve sold three bikes over the last 12 months and I’ve not really missed any of them. Also went from three motorcycles down to one. I just wanted to de clutter my life and just make it simpler. I’ve still got far too much stuff in the garage but I’m now on the journey of having less.

Milzy

Guru
I’ve sold three bikes over the last 12 months and I’ve not really missed any of them. Also went from three motorcycles down to one. I just wanted to de clutter my life and just make it simpler. I’ve still got far too much stuff in the garage but I’m now on the journey of having less.
Have a cycle chat garage sale :smile:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Why would I want to sell any of these - I have three others (in carbon, aluminium & steel) I'd rather get rid of first. And Planet X also do a nice line on Titanium 29ers...

Milzy

Guru
Why would I want to sell any of these - I have three others (in carbon, aluminium & steel) I'd rather get rid of first. And Planet X also do a nice line on Titanium 29ers...
Yes if I get another MTB I want the PX Ti 29er.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
There's a couple of Van Nicholas Ventus - one which is the 'good' bike kitted out with Campag Zonda wheels, declas removed and a few bling bits such as Chris King headset. Decently rapid & comfortable, even when powered by this knackered, middle aged rider.
View attachment 615734 Then there's the Ventus SE picked up cheap on clearance direct from Van Nicholas which is set up as the main commuter. Slightly harsher ride than the other one due to the more robust wheel & tyre combination and slower due to the added weight of all the other bits.
View attachment 615735
Next is the Spa Elan - the one with the Ti seatpost - and a really comfortable, if slower, do it all bike with a bit of light off-road capability.
View attachment 615736 And finally the On-One Pickenflick based flat bar. Frame & forks picked up on clearance (again) and initially set up with lightweight wheels & 28mm tyres, but looked silly with the amount of clearance on the forks & frame. So I fitted it up with sturdier wheels & 35mm tyres and it's not much slower and more useable both on and off road while looking much better. Still tempted to turn this into a 1x with a wider range cassette & swapping to a long cage derailleur from another bike.
View attachment 615737
On order and expected to be delivered sometime in January is a Planet X Hurricane which I'm hoping will be a combination of the comfort of the Elan and the speed of the 'good' Ventus.
My Hurricane sort of reminds me / feels /etc somewhere between my Dawes Galaxy (like a pair of comfy old slippers - though lind with lead) & my Van Nicholas Euros* (pre-*Ventus) 'faster' endurance style road bike /geometry, though (now) limited tyre width /no mudguard eyes etc. Also I'm slowling down in my (age) riding...

Last edited:
Top Bottom