Show us your Titanium....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Johnno260

Veteran
Well here's your first bad word(s) I had a pair, not tubeless, both trashed with sidewall failures, the only tyres I have had fail this way.

ohhh that's not good, they're not too cheap either, I was looking at the Pirelli ones as well.

Gunk

Guru
I use clincher 5000‘s and they’ve been brilliant, I’ve also got a pair of older 4000’s on my other bike. I’ve used them for years.

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
Taking my my 15 year old Van Nicholas Yukon out for a spin, picture taken at the end of the ride, posing in front of 'East beach' and 'East Cliff' at Westbay Dorset.

Broadchurch fans will no doubt recognise that view, there were plenty more nearby as much of West Bay was used in the series. Unrelated to the name of my bike but 'Yukon exercises' was also the name the military used as a code name for the full rehearsal of the raid on Dieppe in 1942.

Attachments

• Yukon Excersize.jpg
    Yukon Excersize.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Taking my my 15 year old Van Nicholas Yukon out for a spin, picture taken at the end of the ride, posing in front of 'East beach' and 'East Cliff' at Westbay Dorset.

Broadchurch fans will no doubt recognise that view, there were plenty more nearby as much of West Bay was used in the series. Unrelated to the name of my bike but 'Yukon exercises' was also the name the military used as a code name for the full rehearsal of the raid on Dieppe in 1942.
Nice bike and a triple gear set - very rare these days

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
Nice bike and a triple gear set - very rare these days
It's a TA Carmina, back in 2007 when I built the bike a triple was what was normally needed to get low gear ratios, the chainset is lovely but the gear change is 'OK' at best; as the front mech follows the radius of a larger chainring. I have got it to work well enough; for me, but I was always reluctant to recommend my set up.

If I was building it now I can achieve almost as low a gear with a Shimano GRX double, plus you should get a superior shifting between chainrings.

Last edited:

jowwy

It's a TA Carmina, back in 2007 when I built the bike a triple was what was normally needed to get low gear ratios, the chainset is lovely but the gear change is 'OK' at best; as the front mech follows the radius of a larger chainring. If I was building it now I can achieve almost as low a gear with a Shimano GRX double, plus you should get a superior shifting between chainrings.
im guessing its a 53/39/30 - with a 12/28 rear cassette??

jowwy

46/36/26 with Campagnolo 10 speed 13-29 Cassette
ah so a 26/29 bottom gear....nice and spinney that. When i went to the alps back in 2017 i rode a sram etap set-up with a 48/34 and 11/40 rear cassette with a wolftooth roadlink ( as etap was a max of 34 rear cassette back then)......was a nice spinney gear in that there mountains

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
ah so a 26/29 bottom gear....nice and spinney that. When i went to the alps back in 2017 i rode a sram etap set-up with a 48/34 and 11/40 rear cassette with a wolftooth roadlink ( as etap was a max of 34 rear cassette back then)......was a nice spinney gear in that there mountains
Yes it is perfect for me, back in 2007 I worked part time for Bike Adventures, riding support as 'sweeper' at the back of the group, if someone got off their bike to push it up a hill that 26/29 bottom gear enabled me to ride next to them at walking pace. Fast forward to 2022 and my athletic ability has declined to the extent that I now actually need that gear! I confess I used it a couple of times in the hills around West Bay, some of the hills were steep and long and the odd descent was flooded at the bottom, so I had to grovel my way back up what I had just spent an eternity freewheeling down lol.

Last edited:

Sallar55

Veteran
Looked out my 08 VN Aeolus custom frame with a Burls ti fork with low rider bosses. One plus is that I can fit 28mm tyres as it was a race frame if you had a standard frame.

Needs a service, the chain is skipping is my old DT 240 hub gone or is it new chain and block😭

Top Bottom