Show us your Titanium....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
Thanks for the heads up @Paul_Smith SRCC , I'll take your comments under great consideration as you're the man on this forum who knows. I've had no creaks so far in the 10 years since it/they were fitted. But I haven't had any reason over the years to remove the stem that often and I'm usually very carefully doing up bolts, certainly not the ham fisted type.

It would be a shame to change the stem as its a beautiful bit of metal.
Yes I concur, "it would be a shame to change the stem as its a beautiful bit of metal"; as you can probably guess from my post I have no plans to change mine, but yes I will continue to be diligent to not overtighten and keep my ears tuned to any worrying creaks.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yes I concur, "it would be a shame to change the stem as its a beautiful bit of metal"; as you can probably guess from my post I have no plans to change mine, but yes I will continue to be diligent to not overtighten and keep my ears tuned to any worrying creaks.

Should have also added. I use Ti bolts in the stem, of which as you know, they're easy to knacker the bolt if tightened too much. That helps stop me tightening them too much.

Sallar55

Veteran
Van Nic Zion needs a clean 🫢

PXL_20230119_102457128.jpg

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I didn’t know the Ventus ever had internal cabling ?

The newer frames do. Along with thru-axles.
And disc brakes.

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
@Paul_Smith SRCC
So I checked the stem/steerer bolts on my Van Nic and my PX.
As I mentioned before, I'm not hamfisted. Both bike's bolts were slightly underdone.
Nice little bit of kit.
They are indeed a useful bit of kit, I dare say there are a few brands that do them, if anyone is wondering where they come from then Bontrager Preset 5 Nm Torque Wrench are one of the brands; any Trek stockist can order them should they not have one in stock.

Last edited:

AlanW

Guru
Some may recall the catastrophic failure of my Kinesis Ti frame back in February of this year and more importantly the poor response from not only the LBS that l purchased the frame from, but also Kinesis (Upgrade Bikes).

So the hunt began to find a replacement frame vowing never to look at a Kinesis frame again.

The main criteria was that the frame must come with a life time warranty, so straight away that narrows the choice right down to just a couple of options, Reilly being one of them.

I had several discussions with Reilly Works and went to a couple of shows and decided that the Spectre was the one for me. Just the frame was circa £2.5k but as it was a disc frame and the one that failed was a rim brake frame, this meant a new groupset plus wheels etc. So all in all it was never going to be a cheap replacement, which l knew that right from the start.

Fast forward six months and l still hadn't taken the plunge with ordering the Reilly and maybe l had mellowed, maybe it was driven by cost, but l decided to email Upgrade Bikes to see if we could come to some sort of amicable agreement in terms of the cost of a replacement frame.

Needless to say and despite everything l said about Kinesis back in February, look what arrived today

20231025_132420.jpg

Top Bottom